vtec rpm?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D See 2

i have seen that there is a variety of chips you can buy for a pr3 ecu. the only difference between the chips is when vtec is activated. is it better for vtec to kick in at a higher or lower rpm?

the program run on chips is usually based off of a tuner company's program ... these are usually designed to work with the specific companys cams ... if your running stock cams chances are the honda settings will be fine ... minimal gains might be found in moving it up or down depending on your mods ... but unless you have cams it really doesnt need to be messed with... youll probly just end up with no botom end and kick ass top end or really strong bottom end and nothing up top.. depending on what your looking for that most likely isnt a good thing

what engine??

with my b16 i've tried a shit load of places to activate VTEC, and i find that 4500 is the best for street. on the high way i jack it way up so it never comes on, but 4500 is a good place in my opinion

i'm going to go ahead and disagree with you.
take the 96 dx coupe down the track with the vtec at 5700 then again at 4500 and tell me what's faster.

i was referring to street driving, not track driving :) even still 4500 seems way too low, i mean, i cruise on the fwy at like 4200.. never tried it that low, but hey, never hurts to try :)

Get it on a dyno, tune the low rpm lobe, then tune the high rpm lobe- find out where the torque curves cross, then set your crossover there. You really should play with your VTEC settings on the dyno, especially if you've dropped in aftermarket cams. Tune your fuel curves while you're there too.

True... but a VAFC doesn't change your fuel curves to match your new VTEC settings, correct? I believe the Hondata does... am I right on this oh 'Hondata whore'?

:D

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 7 2002, 01:03 PM
True... but a VAFC doesn't change your fuel curves to match your new VTEC settings, correct? I believe the Hondata does... am I right on this oh 'Hondata whore'?

:D

yes, the vafc does, its the option below setting the vtec, :)

if you change your VTEC on the hondata, it doesn't change the fuel curve unless you write it into your map, and you also change the ignition timing too at that point.

as far as the vafc, its a ghey way to change it... you can add/subtract fuel, but your still fucked when it comes to the timing part of it, where most of the power is made.

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Oct 9 2002, 10:41 AM
if you change your VTEC on the hondata, it doesn't change the fuel curve unless you write it into your map, and you also change the ignition timing too at that point.

as far as the vafc, its a ghey way to change it... you can add/subtract fuel, but your still fucked when it comes to the timing part of it, where most of the power is made.

I need to read through the documentation again. It doesn't remember the settings if you tune the low cam and high cam separately at first? I guess it kills it once you set the VTEC crossover huh?

Back