VW swap question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
So me and Tim (outlandish_bandit) were cruising the junkyards today (NO Hondas :( ), and we came across a nice looking VR6 motor for $500 Euro. Anyone know anything about swapping this into say a Polo, or older Golf? Since I am going to be here for a couple months, it might make a fun, cheap, fast project, but I don't want to get into something I can't finish in a month or so.

a couple of buddies of mine did some vr6 swaps, one guy did one into a corrado, the other did one into a 92 jetta. so I think that it could fit into a older golf. I can ask them what they had to do to get the motor done

I dont know that a polo is

Originally posted by ripperbone@May 25 2005, 10:56 PM
I dont know that a polo is
[post=503520]Quoted post[/post]​

2001-08_213.jpg

That's the car I am thinking about. I can probably pick one up for under a grand, and with a VR6 in it, it would be a hardcore sleeper :)

Thanks for the link projectspeed :)

Still if anyone knows anything about this swap, post it up.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@May 27 2005, 11:47 PM
So it's a Golf with less protein intake?
[post=504486]Quoted post[/post]​

Pretty much. This is the actual model I want to swap into...

Gf8LA0Quf.jpg

ACz3Hn175v.jpg

Heavily supported here, and it would be easy to sell when I leave. I don't know, just think it would be fun.

Yup. Golf with no balls.

I say do it. Even if you only manage to part-way complete it, it sounds like you could sell it incomplete and at least get your money back.

Only problem, and I just thought of this, according to our regulations here in US Army Europe, you can't sell a non operational vehicle, so it would have to be running. And in order to sell it to a German, it has to be able to pass TUV, which with a swap is going to be hard.

Oh well, I was just offered a GSR longblock at a good deal, so I have some thinking to do.

arent you married?? if so you can have your wife sell it. Then its out of your hands.

from what ive been told by some pretty well informed vw heads, you can basicly swap the vr6 into anything that itll fit in i only think that wiring will be the bitch.

vr6's don't impress me. i'd take a 1.8t over a vrsucks any day.

further more, why start a project and do all that work to just sell it and probably lose money on it in a month.

are you THAT bored? if so, you should start writing more tech articles :p

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 1 2005, 03:24 PM
are you THAT bored? if so, you should start writing more tech articles :p
[post=506229]Quoted post[/post]​

screw that, get a container going.

i would advise against the vr6 swap...

from what i understand most vw swaps require a complete wire harness change, especially the vr6 swap...

and i think you would need the vr6 tranny as well, but have not confirmed that...

i only hang with one guy who loves vw and he's a moron, so all my information could be wrong...

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jun 1 2005, 08:35 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Jun 1 2005, 03:24 PM
are you THAT bored?  if so, you should start writing more tech articles :p
[post=506229]Quoted post[/post]​

screw that, get a container going.
[post=506237]Quoted post[/post]​

I need to write more :), But I wouldn't lose any money IF, I got it running well.

I was thinking about a container, but the Army will ship I believe about three tons worth of stuff, we just have to figure out how much we have now :)

easiest swap in the polo would be an ABF 2.0 16V,
close to the same power as a VR and would cost much less in the end and weigh less.

you could use your stock trans too, the VR6 requires a VR6 trans.

Yea, I decided to spend the money on the Honda instead :) Trying to work a 1.8 block into my budget.

Back