What Would Be The Best High Horsepower Engine?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94PreludeS

Junior Member
I have a 1994' Honda Prelude. What would be the best motor swap to do that would have great horsepower ? :huh:
 

94PreludeS

Junior Member
I was thinking like a H22 DOHC (JDM) engine. It has 11.0 compression ratio. Is that to much compression to run a T-series turbo from turbonetics? Then i was considering running a 75 horsepower shot Nitrous system
 

pills_PMD

New Member
you already have a good platform.. just rebuild what you have and boost it, or juice it.

no need to get a "JDM" engine.. it's such a chance thing when you order an engine... what if a ton of shit is broken?? you're out of luck.
i'd say rebuild and boost what you have.
 

dohcvtec_accord

WRX Sellout
Well, I'm thinking that by his name, he's got a Prelude S, which is a crappy platform for boost. F22A1, SOHC non-VTEC.

You're better off getting a USDM H23A1 to drop in there. No messing with VTEC, nice low to mid compression for boost.

To clarify, the JDM H22A has 10.6:1 compression. The H22A out of the JDM Type S has 11.1:1 compression.
 

rsaeini

Senior Member
Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Apr 2 2003, 07:59 AM
Well, I'm thinking that by his name, he's got a Prelude S, which is a crappy platform for boost. F22A1, SOHC non-VTEC.

You're better off getting a USDM H23A1 to drop in there. No messing with VTEC, nice low to mid compression for boost.

To clarify, the JDM H22A has 10.6:1 compression. The H22A out of the JDM Type S has 11.1:1 compression.

in his sig it says he's got an S.

Wouldn't the early H22 work well for turbo given they have a closed deck and all?
i say go for the H22.
 

dohcvtec_accord

WRX Sellout
Well, it says in his sig that he's got a "Type S". Which I doubt, or else he wouldn't be talking about doing a swap. :)

Anyway, the 92-96 Ludes do indeed have closed decks, which are good for boost, but you can't use the stock sleeves if you're planning on running forged pistons. So it has to be resleeved anyway if you want to run anything greater than 6-8 psi.

The H22 is just fine to boost, but requires extra (precise) tuning due to the fact that VTEC and turbo don't get along nicely when not tuned together.
 

luVTEC

Senior Member
I agree you've already got a good motor. Dont go for higher compression if you want to boost :unsure: , for high HP I'd say go turbo for shure, if you want to really boost it build the internals, lower compression forged pistons/rods perhaps as part of a stroker kit.

If you want n/a high HP (why?) , then get higher compression pistons, better cams etc.
 

94PreludeS

Junior Member
The motor i have in my car right now is a 2.2L im thinking. Its the stock motor the only thing i have upgraded is a cold air intake. If i have to money to spend would it not be a bad idea to do a H22 motor swap? Or should i just take the motor i have now out of my car and only do a top half h22 motor swap like change over to the h22 heads and use the DOHC ? And change the pistons , rods , rings , cams , and put some headers on it? I appreciate the help like i said im just now kinda catchin on to all this.. Thanks.... :)
 

dohcvtec_accord

WRX Sellout
Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Apr 2 2003, 08:59 AM
he's got a Prelude S, which is a crappy platform for boost. F22A1, SOHC non-VTEC.

You're better off getting a USDM H23A1 to drop in there. No messing with VTEC, nice low to mid compression for boost.

To clarify, the JDM H22A has 10.6:1 compression. The H22A out of the JDM Type S has 11.1:1 compression.

He really doesn't already have a good motor. Read my post. The Prelude S has the same engine that comes out of a 90-93 Accord. A DOHC head won't fit on it, and it's a crappy platform for ANYTHING....high compression n/a OR boost.
 

totalburnout

Well-Known Member
VIP
...I wouldn't really be considered about HP unless you're trying to impress people.

Torque is whats going to give you speed off the line.

the h22/3 is a good "torque-y" engine for a honda and would be a good place to start from, plus it would be real sweet if you boosted it.
 

luVTEC

Senior Member
he's already got a 2.2L, boost it and you'll get lots of TQ, that will fire you down the 1320 :D
 

totalburnout

Well-Known Member
VIP
Originally posted by luVTEC@Apr 3 2003, 10:52 PM
he's already got a 2.2L, boost it and you'll get lots of TQ, that will fire you down the 1320 :D

if what everyone is saying is true its a shit platform so why drop money into it ?

...

if you start off weak its always going to be weak
 

dohcvtec_accord

WRX Sellout
A 2.2-liter pile of poop is still a pile of poop, just a bigger one.

A boosted pile of poop is still a pile of poop, just one that will be prone to blowing up quicker.

You can't "just boost" that engine. It's weak, it's got a weak tranny, and it's SOHC, which doesn't allow for as much tuning. If he REALLY wants to, he can build it for boost. But for the money he'll throw into making that SOHC 135-hp-wonder boost-capable, he could have an H-series engine that's alot stronger from the factory, not to mention the extra cam.
 
i'm gonna go with everyone else and say that his motor is a P.O.S. i had a boosted h22 in my wagon (yes a '91 accord wagon) that ran 12.30's on drag radials. i sold that motor to make some cash and put the old f22 back in. the h22 just like the f22 (or any motor) requires building to handle more than 7-8 psi. but once you build the h22 it will be more reliable because of the closed deck and the cam tuning ability doesn't hurt either. in the long run if he tries to boost his current motor he's gonna run into a lot more problems than with a built h22. but i think turbo is the way to go hands down for high hp :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

dohcvtec_accord

WRX Sellout
Originally posted by white_hot_wagon@Apr 4 2003, 08:51 AM
i'm gonna go with everyone else and say that his motor is a P.O.S. i had a boosted h22 in my wagon (yes a '91 accord wagon) that ran 12.30's on drag radials. i sold that motor to make some cash and put the old f22 back in. the h22 just like the f22 (or any motor) requires building to handle more than 7-8 psi. but once you build the h22 it will be more reliable because of the closed deck and the cam tuning ability doesn't hurt either. in the long run if he tries to boost his current motor he's gonna run into a lot more problems than with a built h22. but i think turbo is the way to go hands down for high hp :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:werd: Well-said.
 

phunky.buddha

Mad scientist
Moderator
VIP
Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Apr 4 2003, 08:09 AM
A boosted pile of poop is still a pile of poop, just one that will be prone to blowing up quicker.

Wise man say: Big boosted piles of poop make stinky fly in face faster and harder than non-boosted piles of poop.
 
Top