Whats the disks difference??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondamidnighter

Sooner or later Im going to get a vtec swap in my car..so i was thinking about upgrading my brake system. So I was watching the drilled and slotted disks from several companys and they offer vtec disks and non-vtec disks for del sol. Whats the difference between these two kinds of brake disk?? Does the suspension change on a honda del sol si??? Because my del sol is a S. Thanks for any info :worthy:

You are not upgrading if your going with cross drilled and slotted rotors. Look at old posts. Me and Esol_SI have gone over this 209482482 times. Your decreasing your stoping power by pad contact area.

And just for refrence, when they say VTEC sol, VTEC was a model of the del Sol that came with a b16a3. The SI also came with VTEC, but since it was still slow they called it a SI. Makes finding stuff confusing but you get used to it after a while.

The VTEC had bigger brakes aswell as ABS.
SI's had the same front brakes as the S model, however had rear discs
The S had the SI's front brakes and drum rears.

As for suspension diffrences, the higher the model, the thicker the roll bars. On the VTEC, it had a rear sway bar and a front strut bar (same strut bar as the GSRs)

But what if i buy a drum to disk kit?? There is no kit for del sol although there is for the civic ex??? Does the kit fit and if it does what do I still need to complete the conversion??

You don't need a "kit" for drum to disc. Just find either some rear disc trailing arms, and swap out your whole rear suspension, or find the rear disc spindles, and swap out just that, they will mount right into your trailing arms. Four Torx bolts, and one spindle nut perside, and the ebrake, brakelines, and dust shields.

You will need some Del Sol disc ebrake cables ( I have some in the basement :) )

And you will need the rear disc brakelines.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 16 2004, 07:17 PM
The VTEC had bigger brakes aswell as ABS.

my del slo vtec did not come with ABS :D but yes, the brakes are slightly bigger than the other models... pads are actually kind of a pain to find. :(

ABS is generally FARRRRRRR too intrusive (ie: it kicks in wayyyyyy too fucking early)

its kinda like having traction control instead of learning to launch properly... instead a computer senses tire slip (brake lock on ABS) and pulls power away to keep the wheels from spinning (rapidly locks and unlocks the brakes for ABS to keep the tires from skidding and the car from sliding).... one is the correct method and is a hell of a lot more effective and produces FAR better results, the other is the brainless way to make up for retards that dont know/use proper driving technique

proper braking ("threshold braking") is a MUCH better technique than mashing on the brakes and letting the ABS do the work for you

for those that dont know what that is:

Threshold Braking is the maximum use of your cars available traction for deceleration. In practice Threshold Braking is instant and precise application of extremely hard pressure on the Brake Pedal to the point of impending wheel lock. Impending Wheel lock is when the tire is on the edge of sliding (You will hear a scrubbing - low squealing sound just before the wheel stops rotating) When done properly, Threshold Braking is the fastest way to stop on most surfaces. It is even results in slightly shorter stops than most Anti-Lock Brake systems can accomplish.

Most ABS systems allow the wheel to stop rotation, they then release pressure and re-apply. The time between pressure release and re-application is where the ABS system loses to a good driver who is using threshold braking. Newer high performance ABS systems allow better individual wheel control, and quicker apply / release cycles. Some ABS systems, like those on the Porsche 911 and the Chevrolet Corvette are sensitive and responsive enough to still allow the driver to use Threshold Braking and will only intervene in panic stops or on extremely slippery surfaces.
On extremely slick surfaces, or in panic stop or emergency maneuvering where the driver is caught by surprise, ABS has the inherent advantage of being a "No Brainer" (ie... It always works, even if you are too excited/panicked to use the proper techniques)

For Practice, you should use a wide unobstructed space, with lots of "Run Off" room.
accelerate the car to a reasonable speed and then try to stop the car as fast (Short) as you can, without any of your tires fully locking.

although even in snow / slick conditions i STILL prefer not having ABS
the Insight has ABS and i fucking hate it

A bit OT but....

I find that Honda's ABS system is pretty good IMO. Especially at bumpy tracks like Sebring where it is very easy to lock up a wheel, the ABS is a saving grace, modulationg the particular wheel that needs it while allowing the others to remain at or near 100% braking. A would agree, it is good to learn proper threshhold braking, but in many situations ABS is faster then non abs for one reason: you can stand on the brakes and worry about turning in, not worrying about finding that knife edge under braking. This is especially true in the wet. The Turner Motorsports BMWs are a prime example, they were banned from using ABS in Speed World Challenge because there was an unfair speed advantage over the other cars that didn't have it.

For a daily driver, i can not think of a good reason to remove the ABS IMO, unless it is malfunctioning or you want the weight savings.....*shrug*

I'm with E. I hate abs probably more than I hate air bags. 2 of the most worthless fucking things ever made law by morons in suv's who make laws and can't fucking drive

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 30 2004, 05:04 AM
I'm with E. I hate abs probably more than I hate air bags. 2 of the most worthless fucking things ever made law by morons in suv's who make laws and can't fucking drive

Agreed that it is retarded to be made law, but I don't think useless, especially for ham-fisted SUV drivers. Too many lawyers I suppose..... :D

Back