why is it so hard to find a job?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well i am still going for both but i am going to go for the net+ first it is cheaper :)

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
[ot]
why did you only get an associates?
[/ot]
because that was all i could afford at the time and i was about to get married i had to finish school! my wife on the other had was able to get her B.S. in education so now that she is starting to teach next school year there will be better income for the house and since i am doing data entry that will help me some and i can go back to school to get my B.S., but at the same time i am thinking about getting my A+ and net + so we will see!

i'm in the same boat as you..A.S. in CIS....6 years out of school and no computer job...my friend with an Art degree from Univeristy of Hartford has a computer consultant job and he can't even install windows or install his PDA on the pc...so today i just bought my study material for my A+ and then i'm gonna get my Network + and my cisco cert.....I kno Brian said it don;t do much but he got a Computer job, so it means somehting and most company its a must have to show you have the knowledge.....a BS degree is kinda stupid because its a bunch of BS class's like pysch, and english and its a 2 year waste of time....and AS and a few certs you will find a job quickly

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
[ot]
[/ot]
because that was all i could afford at the time and i was about to get married i had to finish school! my wife on the other had was able to get her B.S. in education so now that she is starting to teach next school year there will be better income for the house and since i am doing data entry that will help me some and i can go back to school to get my B.S., but at the same time i am thinking about getting my A+ and net + so we will see!

i'm in the same boat as you..A.S. in CIS....6 years out of school and no computer job...my friend with an Art degree from Univeristy of Hartford has a computer consultant job and he can't even install windows or install his PDA on the pc...so today i just bought my study material for my A+ and then i'm gonna get my Network + and my cisco cert.....I kno Brian said it don;t do much but he got a Computer job, so it means somehting and most company its a must have to show you have the knowledge.....a BS degree is kinda stupid because its a bunch of BS class's like pysch, and english and its a 2 year waste of time....and AS and a few certs you will find a job quickly

Corvette Guy: Yeah, I agree with you that a bachelor's degree is stupid, and it does involve taking a bunch of BS classes where you will learn things that you will probably never ever draw in your job, but it is NOT a waste of time! As stupid as it is, a lot of places won't even look at you unless you have a bachelors. Plus, a lot of bachelor's prorgrams have internships as a requirement, so then you will get both the higher degree and the work experience that is going to make a company a lot more likely to hire you. I guarantee, someone with a BA + internship is always going to win out in an employer's view over somebody who just graduated from the community college with an associates, and that's a fact, even if the guy with the associates is knowledgeable and capable. I think the point of requiring the bachelor's degree for employment is that someone with a BA who has taken all those diverse classes plus more core classes in their degree field is going to be both better prepared for the specific job, and a more well-rounded individual overall.

So yes, in short, it may seem incredibly stupid and unfair, but a bachelor's degree is never a waste of time; it opens up doors that some people would never have available otherwise, regardless of whether they are qualified or not.

you take FAR more bullshit classes during your first two years...

saying you won;t go for a bachelors because of the bullshit classes when 75% of the classes you took for an associates were non career related is utterly insane...

obviously its not a COMPLETE waste of time but if you have an As in CIS, and 3 Certifications IT then your are good to go and you won;t have a 25k student loan to pay back

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
[ot]
[/ot]

Yeah I guess...but I mean look at the example you gave, you pretty much just validated my point. You've been out of school for 6 years and you still haven't been able to get a computer job, but your friend on the other hand has a BA that isn't even specific to computers yet he was able to find a job in the field. My point was that a BA is NOT a waste of time. As stupid as it may be, just having gone to school for 4 years gives you opportunity that you won't have otherwise. And yeah, you may have to pay back loans, but it's hard to get in a job where you have a chance to get ahead and make some serious cash without it...it pays for itself in the end.
And also, like I said, with the Bachelor's most colleges will make you do an internship, which gets you the experience AND the education. Employers want both.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
[ot]
[/ot]

Yeah I guess...but I mean look at the example you gave, you pretty much just validated my point. You've been out of school for 6 years and you still haven't been able to get a computer job, but your friend on the other hand has a BA that isn't even specific to computers yet he was able to find a job in the field. My point was that a BA is NOT a waste of time. As stupid as it may be, just having gone to school for 4 years gives you opportunity that you won't have otherwise. And yeah, you may have to pay back loans, but it's hard to get in a job where you have a chance to get ahead and make some serious cash without it...it pays for itself in the end.
And also, like I said, with the Bachelor's most colleges will make you do an internship, which gets you the experience AND the education. Employers want both.

ok so then Explain how B got a NEtwork Admin job with no college at all....easy he had his A+..thats my point

ok so then Explain how B got a NEtwork Admin job with no college at all....easy he had his A+..thats my point

Obviously you don't understand my point! I'm not saying that you can't get a job without a BA, all I'm saying is that it really helps! A lot of entry level jobs require either a BA or experience. You stated that a BA was pretty much a complete waste of time, my point is that it isn't a waste of time at all, because just having one will qualify you for craploads of jobs that would otherwise be unavailable to you. Understand?

And what you said about your friend just validates my point. Look, you have the knowledge to get a job in the computer industry, but you haven't been able to find one. Your friend, who knows less than you, has a job involving computers, probably largely because he went to school for 4 years.

I'm not saying you can't get a job without a BA, lots of people I know have made it without a degree. But you said it was pretty much worthless to get one, and I'm disagreeing with that. All I'm saying is that it isn't worthless, and that it can really help when looking for a job, get it?

I'm sure getting additional certs will help you out, and I'm sure you will find a job eventually, but you can't argue the fact that having a BA will put you at an advantage when looking for an entry-level job in a specific industry.

That's all I was trying to say...that it's not worthless...

not just B not having a degree i have seen to many kid come out of highschool and get into the IT feild just like that it, that is what is bothering me i am not asking for a lot all i want is 25k a year just so i can start off and get my feet wet right now i am doing data entry and bring home 325 a week that is ok for now but need a bit more then that but i want to do things right so i will suffer here at the data entry but it just sucks!

what does your resume look like? that could be a BIG thing.

i had some professional help on my resume and i had two people that are admin's for medical and they gave me pointers i don't know what else to do to it or what to change!

i have seen to many kid come out of highschool and get into the IT feild just like that

these people usually have ass loads of talent

my friend from high school went to cobleskill, got booted for hacking the servers, went to community college for 3 years dragging ass, no degrees yet still landed a job at a tv network in NYC doing IT work...

Quoted post[/post]]
i had some professional help on my resume and i had two people that are admin's for medical and they gave me pointers i don't know what else to do to it or what to change!

post it up. sometimes its not whats on it, but how it looks.
others, its whats on it, not how it looks...

An admin as in Network Admin or admin as administrator assistant?

Big difference in the two, neither of which I believe qualify to be resume critic.

Quoted post[/post]]
An admin as in Network Admin or admin as administrator assistant?

Big difference in the two, neither of which I believe qualify to be resume critic.
network admin and i had a director of house keeping and a director of nursing look at my resume and they told me and showed me what to change i will post it up when i get home from work!

Back