Why The B16?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jan 22 2003, 02:42 AM
The argument of which motor is better,blah,blah,blah,who cares,you got a H22,I got a B16 solreavers got a LS everyones happy.Shit I live on the other side of the planet who cares if my motor is better or worse,you running 14's or 12 isn't paying my rent.

well said :)

sry i thought this was a site to discuss things of this nature....its not an argument, just a gathering of everyone opinions and to tell you the truth i enjoyed reading what everyone said. Your right though it really doesnt matter what engine you got as long as your happy.

oh ya and one more thing.................... :worthy: Hseriesownz!

It is good,others opinions and views help educate and enlighten.One more thing though...

B SERIES OWNZ JOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Sorry, but it's torque that gets you from point A to point B, whether it's on the track, or on the interstate. B16's don't have *useable* torque until high-rpm, hence the power band from 5000-redline. My non-VTEC B18B (LS motor) has torque from 1,500 through redline. I can drive in 5th gear at 45mph, and keep up with traffic. Or, I could wind out my motor and tear down the road. Personally, for my daily driver, I'm more happy with torque than horsepower. I'd have to agree with whoever it was that posted the thread about the useable power (area under the curve, or integral) of the LS v/s B16 w/ VTEC. Sure, VTEC bloats the numbers, and yeah you have a lot of *PEAK* power. But torque is what gets the turbo spinning, right?

If I cared about drag racing (which I don't) I'd rather have a motor that can get into boost at a lower RPM, lighten the flywheel, etc. Oh, and the people doing smoky burnouts are the people with open differentials and shitty tires, torque or no torque. My friend's 92 corolla can spin one tire, Beavis.

Originally posted by exhacker@Jan 22 2003, 10:43 AM
I'd have to agree with whoever it was that posted the thread about the useable power (area under the curve, or integral) of the LS v/s B16 w/ VTEC. Sure, VTEC bloats the numbers, and yeah you have a lot of *PEAK* power. But torque is what gets the turbo spinning, right?

that would be me :)

ande its exahust flow that gets a turbo spinning.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 22 2003, 11:12 AM
ande its exahust flow that gets a turbo spinning.

turbo.gif

hehehe ;)

Originally posted by jeffie7@Jan 22 2003, 02:26 AM
before I was turbo I looked at price range for my swap and that left me with B16 or B18A/B and from all the people I've talked to who have run them in their cars have run on avg .5 sec faster in the B16 so I went for the B16

SCCM puts it best by saying Torque is for smoky burn outs horse power is for speed

btw Civic SIs are slow they run high 15s take a stock 92-95 Civic with JDM B16a and it will run mid to high 14s depending on driver and tires

also if it means anything when I had a fully stock B16 with LS trans intake and exhuast I could take H22 Preludes with out any problems I've raced 3 of them 2 of them were mid 90s and 1 was 2001 all of them had basic mods Intake and exhuast as with some other goodies I know this becuase Im friends with one of them and the other two have pulled over to see what the hell I had in my car
what does a H22 put out torque wise? and yes I know the prelude is a much heavier car

Jeff

Stock 99-00 Si's have consistantly ran low 15's with some even running 14.8-14.9's with a good driver.

And as far as you beating a Prelude. How much does your hatch weigh compared to a Prelude. I know my Prelude is very capable of running a 14.3 14.2, and to what speed/gear are you racing until. the lude would def kill you off the line with you starting to catch up in third gear maybe...the ls tranny blows unless your BLOWN

The B16 is in my opinion the BEST engine to swap into a civic, (preferably CRX or EG Hatch) the Rod/Stroke ratio is near perfect and it accepts boost relativelyl easily. You dont incur any steering/weight problems witha b16 as you would with a h22/h23

And as far as a ls/rs integra beating a civic si, I highly doubt that, as the integra weighs a tad more with less hp, yes it would more than likely have a small jump off the line, but in no way would it ever beat an Si with two comparable drivers.

JUst to add my .02 cents, my brother has a 94 ls, with the stock B18b it was ok, then he blew up the motor and could get a b16 cheap so he did, now his car is much faster than before. But I also think that what ever you chose with the right parts and tuning can be fast. Pick what ever you like as a base and go from there! All b-series and H-series have pretty good selection of aftermarket products.

Originally posted by sisteve@Jan 22 2003, 11:45 AM
The B16 is in my opinion the BEST engine to swap into a civic, (preferably CRX or EG Hatch) the Rod/Stroke ratio is near perfect and it accepts boost relativelyl easily. You dont incur any steering/weight problems witha b16 as you would with a h22/h23

The b16 is a good engine but I think that the b18c has that little edge on it. Yes it is a tad more money but trq owns. It is pretty much the same weight so handling is not effected. Yes I think the H22 is worthless unless you want a trailor queen but handling is the one reason why we chose hondas over a ford or a chevy.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 22 2003, 11:39 AM
I think the H22 is worthless unless you want a trailor queen

That's kind of a bad generalization to make. If you want to say that, then you could also say that you'd only swap a B16 if you want to auto-x well, and forget being fast.

let me refrase that, the h22 is not always the best unless your driving a lude or accord.

an LS is not quicker than a B16 in stock form, when i had my B16 swapped, stock it ran a 15.2 with me driving, :p

Originally posted by B16@Jan 22 2003, 03:34 PM
an LS is not quicker than a B16 in stock form, when i had my B16 swapped, stock it ran a 15.2 with me driving, :p

And what did you get driving the LS swapped?.... cause you say they're not quicker. :p

Originally posted by exhacker+Jan 22 2003, 01:23 PM-->
@Jan 22 2003, 03:34 PM

And what did you get driving the LS?.... cause you say they're not quicker. :p

well, every one i've gone up against, i've beat(on the street).. at the track, there was a 5th gen coupe with an LS motor running NAAWWWWSS and he was running the same times as me..

just to let you guys know it does'nt matter what engine you use it all depends on the driver my best friend just ran a 14.5 on a d16 vtec wit h/i and clutch with full interior and no internals so it does'nt matter what engine you choose.

Originally posted by b16a teg@Jan 22 2003, 04:51 PM
you use it all depends on the driver my best friend just ran a 14.5 on a d16 vtec wit h/i and clutch

tink tink tink tink tink tink....tink....tink...skrreeee

holy shit its the BS flag being raised!!!

Originally posted by b16a teg@Jan 22 2003, 01:51 PM
just to let you guys know it does'nt matter what engine you use it all depends on the driver my best friend just ran a 14.5 on a d16 vtec wit h/i and clutch with full interior and no internals so it does'nt matter what engine you choose.

was this motor in a go kart?

Back