79 Non-cvcc build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

that will be enough to get it running. but not finish it.

still need 4g for my built motor. (including turbo and intercooler)

200 for the tubing for building a roll cage

misc things like racing buckets, 5 point harnesses, fuel cell, and more performance minded things.

not sure what paint im going to buy yet, but hopefully that will only cost 100-300 in supplies.

wheels and tires... going to be 2k probably.

and lots more...

but 300 bucks will get the car running and driving in a not finished form.

well 2k is probably a stretch... it will be 4x100 by the time i convert it. but im guessing 800 in tires and 800 in wheels, so 1600 all around.. hopefully less, i havnt even figured out what wheel and tire combo im going for yet.

little teaser pic. a good photoshop of the newest goal.
l_63a876e3225bea6f2c92ab69f3fc1204.jpg

so like i said in about $300, the car will be running and driving... but not racing yet. or looking pretty. just running, and on a strictly putt around, no abuse driving (due to it will have some super weak axles) but that will be a big start. after its running, ill rip it back apart and paint the outside, engine bay and jam it, but ill hold off on the rest of the inside untill i get the roll cage in, which is next on the list after paint, then comes interior/roll cage paint. along with finishing the dash, and getting the interior together. then ill move onto new axles somewhere in there so it can be givin a beating. then start making it race ready so it will have the saftey im looking for and be able to pass tech at the track, with things like 5 point harness, battery box, fuel cell, 4x100 conversion with disc brakes, shit like that. after thats all done, the last thing i will do is drop in the boosted race motor. and this project will be wrapped up hopefully in less than $5k later ;)

well i did some work tonight on it actually...
spent some time re-foaming, once again, and this is the last time! it worked this time, the front end. so waiting for it to cure over night, and tomorrow night ill go cut it down, and sand it into shape.
l_62dbba27217de08133293351f8654ba2.jpg

l_42df0729a5df1a4583003a7688970e56.jpg

the grill is going to be attached to the one piece front end, and used to help hold it on, its hard to explain what im going to do. but you will see what i mean with progress. it will make sense then.
l_8487ddcbbad16f919f61bce62fb1c760.jpg

k so heres the next thing ive been toying with... and i finally commited!
the start of the RHD conversion. Cant get any more JDM than that!
the best part, is this is going to be CAKE work. its almost a bolt in, well more like Weld in swap. the car is even marked where it would go on a jdm car. the only real fabrication im going to have to do is with the pedals which is going to be a snap. this conversion should cost me less than 15 bucks, and even thats just for a little bit of scrap metal to fab up for the pedal linkages and mounting.
Gotta cut this side out. and then of course weld up the hole its going to leave.
l_a5f3509c1970a03863d9a13bb6b0e8c6.jpg

and move it right here. you can see the circle of where it would go on a JDM car, even the hole in the cross member is drilled for the steering linkage already.
l_419a624003426bb426da7240d6ef71e4.jpg

from the inside, again you can see the circle where its suppose to be.
l_646c5c8dcfd57c87136a1e79551e237e.jpg

then cut off the steering colum brace and move it over, this one isnt point blank obvious where its suppose to go, so ill kind a have to wing it. but it will work.
l_8f93f6d1836877221137e2360a94e6a9.jpg

last time you'll see the pedals on the left side :)
l_59772e6222433227ac7d8a9ff5d3f152.jpg

same goes for the steering wheel.
l_5c0ff949e1c83ad0ac91c4e40b6ea289.jpg

everything gutted.
l_e70311d568294a133474f1714dd2e7e0.jpg

my only down side, is now my perfect legacy dash isnt going to work. so ill have to get creative for that. not sure how yet... but ill figure something out. going to look and see if i can find a RHD one for a reasonable price. other wise... well shit i might be making something from scratch.
anyway thats as far as i got tonight. untill i can get my cutter and welder down to the shop, i wont be able to progress on the RHD conversion, but ill work on the front end tomorrow night and update you guys with a few more pics. so check back about this same time tomorrow!

god-damn kid you have alot of ideas that are great you keep going with your ideas dreams of what you want will work just keep getting the info you need damn proud of this swap with something more than bolt in more with idea idea is a swap not a bolt in that every one has, keep it up bud
i wanna see more!!
send me any thing you got email i follow your swap
(GREAT JOB) !!!!

thats pretty much what im thinking. id love to see it take home best JDM award someday at a teske design show, and well whats more jdm than rhd? gotta compete with this damn r32 skyline though... bastard lol.

gonna be hard for me to drag race it too lol. my left hand doesnt like to shift haha.

I'm JDM, I've got a sticker to prove it. And all I did was use my moms printer w/ sticker paper, no RHD conversion for me :p

Seems a lot easier. This car will never be done and if it does get finished Ill be damn suprised.

I wouldn't go that far, he will take a long time to finish it, but as long as he doesn't let himself get burnt out on it, it will be done. Taking long breaks helps. I took a break from mine, as I was dangerously close to being completely burnt out, but I'm starting to feel the itch to go work on it again.

I wouldn't go that far, he will take a long time to finish it, but as long as he doesn't let himself get burnt out on it, it will be done. Taking long breaks helps. I took a break from mine, as I was dangerously close to being completely burnt out, but I'm starting to feel the itch to go work on it again.

Believe me I want to see it get done the end product should be awesome, but Im just having some doubts.

first off, its really no that much work. gonna take what, 2 minutes to cut each piece... and 10 minutes to weld in each piece? then the rest is pretty much bolt in... easier than putting the motor in the engine bay if you ask me...

i love hearing how this will never be done :) you guys obviously dont know me haha. ive never not finished a project except for my very first fiberglass sub box in a 2000 nissan frontier. i bailed on that only because i sold the truck. and i love hearing it will never get done, just makes me want to finish it that much more. If money wasnt in my way from having a family now, way to many bills, and a shit job, id be moving along muuuch faster. but the biggest reason mine is so far behind, is because im building one for a customer with a d16y8 in it. and its nearly done, it will be finished in the next 3 weekends. Believe me, it will get finished. ive put waaay to much time into it to bail on it now. and ive got a promise to my gf she can take it down the track this season... so i gotta bust my ass, but it will get there.

anyways. heres the progress from tonight ;)

foam cut down.

l_e9b9bdef21de1e09f2903ff16c5eff6a.jpg

l_902eb859993017ee0ba0d29811b32b0d.jpg

foam sanded, and shaped to flow with the car better.

l_12627ee0c48740e84da1bbea739cee27.jpg

shitty masking job. the tap wouldnt stick at all to the foam, shoulda went and found some duct tape, but oh well.

l_5c5a885b70615f9416705242c0b2b207.jpg

l_1e96d63d40568478c06b369a4febbfae.jpg

primered it so i could get a better look at the flaws.

l_f094eba68f103f4aa081ddad2fdcb7fc.jpg

besides the tape marks, it looks pretty even, which it doesnt matter a whole lot the way im going to do this front end, i dont have to have it perfect, just close :)

l_ad667ed9bdd2f1c8b4110c81ed5dd65f.jpg

l_e9eced3bad0cae2caaeef6818195c3c0.jpg

mat laid out.

l_8a2eb34e02c4b652ea070e6f029b9e97.jpg

and this is were i messed up. i shoulda waiting untill i had more resin, cuz i knew i was going to cut i close. but against my better judgment i thought i had enough. HA, not even close... so now its halfassed. oh well guess ill learn next time.

l_069b212a0c095bd25a4b3820ed71125a.jpg

so now i need to go buy some more resin, cover a little bit more of the mat. then ill pull it off the car, and start cutting it out, then adding a few more layers to smooth it out and make it look better.

I personally think it will be done. He seems to know what he is doing and makes steady progress. He just needs to pick a final plan and stick to it. But we all know how that goes. You first buy a project car and don't really know what you wanna do with it. Sometimes life flows to you and dictates what you do with it. When I swapped the y8 in my car the only thing stopping me from dropping in the h23 I had was not having the mounts or the tranny for that motor.

Im not really talking shit saying it wont get done, it just seems like he's got alot of work to do, but it will be worth it when it does get done. Trust me I really want to see it get done, from the latest photochop he did of the final look of the car it looks really good.

Hey 79Civic, what are you going to do for the dash since your doing the RHD conversion? Custom glassed/sheet metal setup?

He does have a lot of work to do, but he's also come a long way since his first about a year ago. It'll get done, in due time.

I personally think it will be done. He seems to know what he is doing and makes steady progress. He just needs to pick a final plan and stick to it. But we all know how that goes. You first buy a project car and don't really know what you wanna do with it. Sometimes life flows to you and dictates what you do with it. When I swapped the y8 in my car the only thing stopping me from dropping in the h23 I had was not having the mounts or the tranny for that motor.

i wasted a lot of money and time fucking with all that damn custom fiberglass bumper bullshit. if i woulda put all that time and money into the motor. id be driving this sucker right now. but for somereason i thought i wanted to do body work first... but im dead set on what im going for now... this is it, not changing any more, just going to bang it out into that pretty picture now as fast as possible.

Hey 79Civic, what are you going to do for the dash since your doing the RHD conversion? Custom glassed/sheet metal setup?

haha... yeah i dunno. i absolutly love how functional my legacy dash is for me... im kinda pissed i cant use it now. i was going to chop it in half and reverse it, but then the center piece would be facing the passenger and not the driver, so its kinda pointless. although i have a couple secrete ideas to make that an okay design :ph34r:\

other wise i might be trying to dig up a JDM legacy dash. orrr if all else fails, make somthing from scratch. if it really gets bad, ill take a piece of sheet metal and L shape it and call it good.

but lets pray for the legacy dash..

He does have a lot of work to do, but he's also come a long way since his first about a year ago. It'll get done, in due time.

ive got a tooon of work todo i know. but really.. i dont have near the work to do on this car as i do my 67 camaro, that thing has some nasssty rust, so i got a ass load of metal work to do on it. but atleast everything after that is all bolt on lol. really dont have a whole lot of hard work left on this project

with this i got a little bit of metal work on the rear, a tiny bit of easy fiberglass work. slap the motor back into the car, wire it up, rip it all back out, paint it, roll cage it... oaky fuck it i got to much work to do. LOL

Back