79 Non-cvcc build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nope. took em totally out, HAHA. someone needed a set of stocks, so i gave them mine. rolling around on the struts oh yeah!!

dont worry im doing coil overs.

lol doesnt hurt it, not like its getting drove on them. tires dont even rub. so it can sit like that till i fab up a set of coils to fit

well, ordered my coil spring suspension for the car tonight. hopefully it will be here in a weekish, and i can get it sitting right. not on struts only lmao.

62778883_o.jpg

this is just kinda a temporary set up. just something to drive on have a little fun, have it dumped on its nuts like it is right now... when i get really serious with drag racing this car... ill switch to a 1000 dollar adjustable coil over set up. and sell this perfectly good bolt in set up some some other 1st genist who wants to be able to set the ride height of his car.

so... as you can see i changed the styling of my front end again. if you havnt seen mugens79's beautiful piece of work yet check it out already. but his front end is like 90% similar to what i was going for... so this is a good shot at what mine will similarly look like. ill start on making the mold for the front end here soon, prob after i install my coil springs.

nitrous_civic_053dhdhhhd_827.jpg

this is the incredibly horrible photoshop of what i was going for. so your going to have to user your imagination, and see a FMIC in the front of mugens car, but looking just a little bit cleaner, and more molded to the car.

6jx1f6b.jpg

anyway thats it for an update for now... but more will be coming soon, at least pics of it sitting on its new coils.

wow just read through this thread, awesome job man. cant wait when your done!

well i got bored, so i decided im going to start working on the front end even though i dont have everything i need right now. i built a "front mount intercooler" out of cardboard so i can see where its going to sit and how to shape/mold it the bumper to it. and that way i dont fuck up my fancy real front mount in the molding process. because it will be messy!!

so i started with taking some boxes and cutting/taping them to actual size of the front mount i plan on getting. heres my new front mount :)

l_6a9b677df1b2dc9be9b0416aa6adaf19.jpg

l_ee2e555e1a0b322c370660e4f3287c48.jpg

27"x5.5"x2.5" should do nicely.

doesnt even come close to the cross member. theres tons of room. which room was the main concern.

l_0863adc002290c9005ed5feba67c379f.jpg

i need to cut this little bastard off so it can sit foward a little more where i want it.

l_334ecf7d9240e25c48536317a143ce55.jpg

sorta where it will sit.

l_dfb12d09b3e0b8174240d274da3b8628.jpg

anyway i didnt get very far today at all, i got my front mount template made, and test fitted it to make sure that size of intercooler would work for me, then i had to run out to ship parts and do some errands. so maybe tomorrow ill start working on the mold.... at least i want too. we will see how busy i get. i gotta buy some new head lamp bezels though because i lost mine, and they are part of the grill/mold, so i can do much untill i get those.

more pics later.

nice. the single cam looks betterin there than the D17. i'm pretty sure that single cam turbo will plenty powerful.

This thing is going to be sweet. Can't wait to see more progress.

nice. the single cam looks betterin there than the D17. i'm pretty sure that single cam turbo will plenty powerful.

the sohc fits nicer, but my dohc d16 is a little stronger for boosting and it was free.

im working on the front end right now, ill post pics later.

well heres the progress pics from the starting of the new front end.

Before... also the final resting place of the front mount.

l_f4a3c757071f5e53e8d60a5be209d8ca.jpg

Filled it up with foam, waiting for it to expand and dry...

l_9934628e880f9a0948bd32b512f026b9.jpg

im a fucking idiot and forgot to shake the can.... so it came out all stringy and didnt expand very well....

l_1feec5fd55d572153944c9723526ffb1.jpg

After shaking the can a little more..... worked a little better.

l_86dc17656d94ac73f057509beb1e5957.jpg

so after basically wasting 1 hole can of foam, this was the results. (yes i primered it because i was extremely bored haha.

l_26fb46d04282e6a29b74f73496f1d59e.jpg

l_cbf71d6d2eb0141d399c845becebfe7a.jpg

From the back side.

l_9f18da1a06b3a8010648c6ad69907c9b.jpg

l_c308a65aaa91d03a58cfbb0cd0dbe92d.jpg

So since i messed up the first can, it wasnt enough, so i had to run back to home depot and buy another freaking can. i shook it the entire way back to the shop. and started spraying more foam. it came out sooooo much thicker and fluffyier, like 4 times the size than before. i felt like a idiot.....

haha. but i didnt get pictures of the second stage of foam, i put it on and ran out the door for home. so ill let it dry over night, and tomorrow when i go back to the shop it will be all nice and hard and ill get pics and start sanding and shaping!!

and sorry for the crappy pictures. i brought my nice camera but left the memory card at home. so i had to use my camera phone... intelligence was just not with me today lol.

Subliminal messaging

Wow, you're work always looks so clean and well thought out ghetto. I love that you take the time to research the best way of doing something before you do it throw shit together with a blindfold on. It's also cool how you took a classic car and are fixing it up to look nice and perform well rice it out and put it on cinderblocks. I can't wait to see what the final product will look like crap. And where it ends up junkyard.

Wow, you're work always looks so clean and well thought out ghetto. I love that you take the time to research the best way of doing something before you do it throw shit together with a blindfold on. It's also cool how you took a classic car and are fixing it up to look nice and perform well rice it out and put it on cinderblocks. I can't wait to see what the final product will look like crap. And where it ends up junkyard.

wow what in the fuck crawled up your ass and died lmao.

glad to see your a total idiot thou and know nothing about body work. or custom body work for that matter.

i really want to know how you can call this car rice?
nitrous_civic_053dhdhhhd_827.jpg

concidering thats how mine is going to end up looking minus the turn signals and ill have a front mount peaking threw it. if thats rice... then go look in the mirror of what your building. obviously it isnt finished. it wasnt even sanded yet, it wasnt even cut away far enough yet. fuck have a little imagine nation dude lol. untill then piss off because your car has a shitty fucking paint job too lmao. at least mine is on its way to looking nice.

another guy building one of these cars. he goes by mugen79

Glad to see you take criticism in stride :p

Sorry for being harsh, but it looks to me like you're butchering the thing. I don't understand why you're doing the body work first, when the engine swap, mechanical fabrication isn't even started. Projects of this scope take up vast amounts of your time, money, and mental energies. It seems like you've piled a lot of stuff to do on your plate and everytime you get one thing done, you throw it away and do it over 3 times. At this rate, I might actually finish my car before you, which right now seems like it'll be about 15-20 years :)

I agree what you should do first is get the engine and drive train in. Get all of the electrical done and get the car running first. Once that's done you can worry about the looks of the car. The hardest part is going to be getting the car to run and drive, the body work is easy.

you all are stupid put engine and trans in and run all kinds of wiring before painting thats fucking stupid let him do his body work and things that he wants if you would follow this build i do belive that the engine has been fit it the car all ready and removed

you all are stupid put engine and trans in and run all kinds of wiring before painting thats fucking stupid let him do his body work and things that he wants if you would follow this build i do belive that the engine has been fit it the car all ready and removed

yes and no.

first off yes, to do a FULL paint job you want the engine and everything removed. which i plan on doing, so im not putting much of the car together yet. whats the point? just to pull it back off. how ever i want my mounts welded in first before i paint, so ill have to drop the motor in for a day to weld the mounts into the car, then it will be back out for quite a while.
but yes the motor has been fitted for the car, but the mounts havnt been made yet, havnt bothered because its not a big concern right now. id rather get my roll cage in first, and get the car stiff and strong.

and next, you guys are so worried about getting the motor in and wired and running. fuck, you act like its hard.... and takes 10 years to do.

I cam into this project with the only custom motor swapping experience of a chevy LT1 into a 95 toyota 4 runner. and that wasnt that custom being there was mounts already made for that swap. i had a lot of questions at first untill i jumped straight into doing one for a guy in gresham....

in 10 full days of work on his car i stripped the entire front end off a restored running 79 cvcc. pulled the stock motor. made the frame modifications. rebuilt part of the new d16y8 motor so it wouldnt have to be pulled back out for maintenance in the next 5k miles. put the motor in, made engine mounts, bolted the motor down, ran the new fuel line, and wired the new fuel pump, ran the new bat line, got it ready to install the power windows and door locks and alarm. all that in barley over a week. my guess is in another 10 full days of work it will be driving around 100% finished. all it needs is some wiring, the custom header made, and to be put back together. big whoop. after working on this swap i feel like an idiot for some of the questions i asked lol.

now another thing... my front end body work HAS to be done first. im boosting, i need it done so i know where my front mount is going to sit, where im going to need to run intercooler piping and other shit. also with all the sanding and dust flying around, theres no reason to have everything finished getting covered in a nice new coat of dust. that makes a lot of sense.

and ive only started over 3 times, because i cant decide what i like. ive been trying things, seeing how they look, trying to find the look that suits me. decided the modern bumpers we not what i was going for. and i think this look is going to suit me just fine.

its one thing to not like the styling of it....thats no big deal, i dont expect everyone to like the looks of it. but when you start talking shit about body work saying "its been thrown together with a blind fold on" i just wanna say STFU you sound like an idiot. evadently you have never done it... have no clue what your talking about, and cant use a little imagination to see the out come...

Just in case you didnt know... the foam is used to make a MOLD for the front end, which will be a one piece fiberglass front end that will be removable to make easy access for motor/turbo work. im not making it out of foam and its not going to look all choppy and full of pin holes. woulda thought anyone woulda been smart enough to realize that.

Back