79 Non-cvcc build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I agree what you should do first is get the engine and drive train in. Get all of the electrical done and get the car running first. Once that's done you can worry about the looks of the car. The hardest part is going to be getting the car to run and drive, the body work is easy.

i dont see how its that hard to weld in a few plates of metal, drill a hole, and run a couple nuts and bolts and toque em down.... or follow some pictures/written instructions and solder some wire together and add in a few connectors. while i find body work more fun. i find it way harder and requires a lot more skill and an eye for perfections. wiring is just time consuming. not hard.

is he a member here
no i confused 2 forums... he is on a different one. not this one.

Last edited:
oops my bad. i thought that was your single cam. I forgot about your DOHC.

i still like siingle cam.lol

i liked the FREE part of my motor LOL. other wise i prob would put in a single cam for money reasons.

dont blame you. free fTW bitches!.

good luck man. Now get back to work!

dont blame you. free fTW bitches!.

good luck man. Now get back to work!

workin on other projects right now. ill get back to it soon. my coil suspension got here yesturday, i might put it in this saturday if we down head down the free way to work on the other civic.

i back you up all the way every one has what they wanna build
klyph just takes a year to do the next best thing,
were your still working on the build
lmao"
i like to bash as well

good job with the spray foam its sandable and great to fiber over.

and with my build i did 10 things befor doing the motor swap
i never new that the B16 would fit
just a quess.
damn i love honda swap for the bash lol keeps us on our toes lol.
klyph - keep it up w/ the build i wanna see it run looks good.
79civic- great custom work bud keep it up.

i back you up all the way every one has what they wanna build
klyph just takes a year to do the next best thing,
were your still working on the build
lmao"
i like to bash as well

good job with the spray foam its sandable and great to fiber over.

and with my build i did 10 things befor doing the motor swap
i never new that the B16 would fit
just a quess.
damn i love honda swap for the bash lol keeps us on our toes lol.
klyph - keep it up w/ the build i wanna see it run looks good.
79civic- great custom work bud keep it up.

:D It's all good, criticism motivates me. The biggest reason I started my project was because people said i couldn't do it. Once the weather warms up, you'll get some updates.

79civic: You rock, and you'll probably end up with a better looking more powerful car that is done sooner than mine. Keep it up man.

car that is done sooner than mine. Keep it up man.

i doubt it lol. i havnt even touched mine cuz ive been so busy with the kiddo, and doing the vtec swap in the other 79 for a customer, and as soon as i get his out of the shop, i already have another guy on the waiting list. so then i gotta get his in and out super quick. i might get back to mine by middle of this summer lol.

but i did how ever fix the front end, its clean lookin now :D pics soooon.

Any progress? By the way what is the swap you are doing for the next guy in line? Sorry for anyone else following this thread who gets al excited when they see a recent post in here. But I figured someone had to ask about progress.

well he hasn't made any progress on his in a while the shop he was using kinda got taken over. the cvcc that we have been working on in portland is really starting to take shape the wiring is about 85% to 90% done the only thing we have left to do is finish a little cleanup in the engine bay (before we can paint it), put the motor back together and stick it back in (we desided to regasket the whole motor), built the header. The tranny is at a shop getting a lsd put in it and axles being made. So a quick recap of the project: 79 cvcc, d16y8 out of a 99 civic ex, using a p28 out of a 92-95 ex for the ecu, tranny out of a 89 integra, rewiring the entire car bumper to bumper to get rid of all that almost 30 year old wire that was falling apart in places, installing power windows and locks, security system with keyless entry, and custom 4-2-1 headers and 2" exhaust.

That is sick. Makes me wonder what kind of crazy swaps I could do with my Trans Am...or for that matter the 86 Camry I have chillin out front.

david pretty much summed up the cvcc swap we aer doing for the guy.

as for mine, i installed my coil overs which im going to rip out, and refab the struts so they fit better. cuz even when its dumped, it sits like as high as it did stock lol. cant have that.

and it got barried in a huge pile of garbage, and pushed into the corner with 3 60's mustangs blocking it in haha.

other wise saving up $500 bucks to buy my donar car and then ill finish the project. Ill have it ready for the drags this summer for sure. i dont care if i have to start stealing hondas to do it :ph34r:

jk. but it will be done soon.

cool man keep it coming im just starting my 2nd gen build maybe ill get lucky and find someone that can make me d series motor mounts for me :D

motor mounts are the simplest things to make honestly... throw the motor in there, with the stock motor side mounts on. get 2 pieces of metal and weld them to the car and drill a hole threw them for the stock mounts to bolt to... practically it... doesnt take much more than a grinder/cutter and a welder. and a good drill bit.

motor mounts are the simplest things to make honestly... throw the motor in there, with the stock motor side mounts on. get 2 pieces of metal and weld them to the car and drill a hole threw them for the stock mounts to bolt to... practically it... doesnt take much more than a grinder/cutter and a welder. and a good drill bit.
cool thanks for the info + rep..my main thing was worrying about getting evey thing good and centered, i think im gona use the stock 83 civic rear mount and just put 21mm spacers on the engine mount. then lower the motor and tranny down until its all level.

its really not that big of a deal. all you need to worry about is your axles. line it up so your alxes (if you were looking straight down) go straight across, not angled front or back... and then just make sure (looking from the front) they sit either straight across or angled up. as long as they dont angle down, or forward or back, your fine. thats the only part you need to worry about. then rock the motor forward enough untill the intake mani clears the fire wall and your golden. really isnt much to it. i took my motor, set it in the car with the engine hoist unitll it bottomed out on the x member, let it sit there, and then started aligning and fabbing mounts. its super simple really...

by the way... im looking for a parts car!!! any car thats basically 100% complete motor and all.

needs to be FI! no carbed motors. and pref dohc... $500 MAX!! ive found three so far im looking at, one with a b20.. and two with the same d16 i planned on using. so hopefully i can grab one of those. but im still open to others that are cheaper!

Back