93 del Sol Si {Movin' On Up}

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was wondering though, I saw what you did to the climate control with the LEDs, going from red to blue. Thats awesome. Would you mind if I stole that idea from you and did it to mine? haha its BA, plus mine are out anyways. And is their a link to how to do it, or could you tell me somehow? Im kind of a n00b with wiring and stuff.

Thanks Anyways though.

=]

No wiring involved :). Unscrew your center console which consist of the armrest/cupholder part and the shifter console. After that is off you will reveal the radio din pocket. You have to remove the radio and unclip the radio harness because your going to need to access a screw thats right above it. After the radio is out look up inside of the pocket and you will see a screw that secures the climate control in. The area is real small so your going to need a short screwdriver in order to unscrew it. Try not to strip the screw like I did because then the only way of getting it out would be to remove the dash which is a PITA the first time you do it.

After the screw is out the climate control is pretty much free. Just unclip the harness on the back of it and the wire line thing that controls the cold & heat. When the climate control is out just look on the back of it and you will see two bulbs. Just pull them out of the hole and change the led bulbs. The led bulb number is #74

If you need anymore help just ask, I can probably take some pics for you.

Awesome man, thanks. I did it slightly different though. I got the black face plate thing off of the climate control. Their are two screws on the bottom, then little clips around the whole thing. Oh, and youve gotta take the slide bar toggle thing off the cold/heat. And the 0-4 control knob and screw out of their too. Their, their are two LED's with blue caps.

Did you mean those? And where di you get the bulbs at? I went to RadioShack and they didnt have them their. Their like glass bottoms. Weird. The only kinds they had were the regular two prong LED's.

I probably wouldnt be so bummed if I wasnt so hungry..... HA. =]

Did you mean those? And where di you get the bulbs at? I went to RadioShack and they didnt have them their. Their like glass bottoms. Weird. The only kinds they had were the regular two prong LED's.

I probably wouldnt be so bummed if I wasnt so hungry..... HA. =]

Yea those 2 bulbs with the blue caps are it.

And I bought my led bulbs online. I was changing my gauge cluster as well so I needed a couple of them. I used www.autolumination.com but there's also www.superbrightleds.com

I only paid 99 cents for each bulb, but I'm sure they have better ones that are much brighter and better.

You are the man. =]

Oh, by the way. I said before I was fixing up my Sol like you. Here's somewhat of a coincidence.

Yours is blue with a black hood, mine is black with a blue passenger door.

lololol.

=]. Good luck with everything else as you go. Ill start taking pics of mine and start a thread (and rip off more of your idea's. =] )because Im buying a bunch of turbo parts and going to be putting together a 'homemade turbo kit' soon, and maybe some eBay coilovers also (still havent decided.)

Have fun.

loving the progress man, just read both pages of posts. Sol is looking good. I do agree with the other reader about the fabric wrapping but not horrible lol. Im a huge fan of the motegi interior. I have a frost white del Sol that im in the process of putting a B18c1 into. Anyway have been looking online for a few different things that i found in your thread that helped me out. Ill be following this thread, keep up the good work man.

and maybe some eBay coilovers also (still havent decided.)

Have fun.

Words of advice, don't go with the eBay coilovers. I tried it out just because I was curious and wanted to see for myself.

Good = is that it gives you the look you want. For $50 bucks you can lower your car and blend in with the others.

Bad = is that the ride quality is crap. Everyday while going to and from work I have to drive past this little dip in the road. I actually try to avoid it now because I'm tired of the horrible bounce I get when I pass over it.

As soon as I get some more money I'll be changing them. I've learned my lesson lol.

Words of advice, don't go with the eBay coilovers. I tried it out just because I was curious and wanted to see for myself.

Good = is that it gives you the look you want. For $50 bucks you can lower your car and blend in with the others.

Bad = is that the ride quality is crap. Everyday while going to and from work I have to drive past this little dip in the road. I actually try to avoid it now because I'm tired of the horrible bounce I get when I pass over it.

As soon as I get some more money I'll be changing them. I've learned my lesson lol.
Been there, done that. I moved on to Function & Form coilovers....best for the money imo if you're not doing racing or anything. Comfortable yet stiff, to be honest it really reminds me of driving my dads S2000.

Nice looking car dude! :)

May 14, 2010

Well the Sol's been sitting in the driveway for the past week now and I finally got the crank pully off today so I can fix back the timing belt. I bought the Honda/Acura crank pully tool at NAPA then I bought another an extra 24" breaker bar at Harbor Freight and another 17mm deep socket since I broke my first one.

SDC10965.jpg

SDC10961.jpg

SDC10960.jpg

Unfortunately night came down too fast so I'll have to finish up tomorrow and crank her up :)

I also put on my front lip today and bought some new OEM del Sol mudflaps on eBay :D Those should be coming in the mail sometime next week.

SDC10966.jpg

SDC10967.jpg

May 15, 2010

Holy crap Batman, the del Sol is up and running :D

Soo today I put the timing belt back on and tried to crank the sucker up, but it still wouldn't start.

After a few hours of trying to find out the problem I temporarily gave up and put everything back up that I took apart.

Went back outside and tried starting it up again, but it still wouldn't start so I went down the check list. The engine had fuel and timing, but I wasn't to sure about spark.

Pulled out the spark plugs and they were burnt to toast. So took a trip to Advance Auto Parts and bought a set of NGK Spark Plugs. I put them in but car still wouldn't start. I narrowed it down to the ultimate noob mistake.....spark plugs in the wrong order. Went online and found the D16Z6 firing order and mine was completely backwards :(

Never the less I put them in the right order and cranked the engine one more time and watched the beast start up :D:

NGK.jpg

May 15, 2010 Part 2

Damn :( I can't even make it out of my driveway anymore lol.

Not taking the lip off either so I guess it's just going to scrape away haha.

Scrape.jpg

Or you could lift the car just enough to clear it.
Thats what I would do.

nah man, you can just gotta learn to take things at big angles and slowly.

ive seen his car, its not that damn low. its not quite as low as mine and i make it over lots of bumps and dips still, and i have the same lip.

Yea my car is nowhere near slammed/tucked . It's just lowered a tad bit to close the gap inbetween the wheel and fender.

My driveway just has a ridicolous dip at the very end. If I was to raise the coilovers back up I would be back to 4x4 status ha.

May 16, 2010

So this morning I woke up happily knowing that my del Sol is finally running and I can make it to the local meet.....WRONG!!!

Left my house around 8:00am so I could go to Walmart and pick up some oil and coolant before I headed out to the meet. Well when I pulled up in the Walmart parking lot I noticed a bunch of steam coming from my hood. So left it to cool down and went in Walmart, bought the stuff, and came out. Come back to the car and pop the hood and there's coolant everywhere! It was coming from a hose attached to the FITV. I thought the hose was just loose so I tighten the clamp and poured coolant in and started to head for the turnpike. Well a couple of blocks from the turnpike the engine started to overheat so I pulled over again and just decided to head back home.

SDC10985.jpg

I was only about 9 minutes from home, but I had to pull over 12 times just so the damn engine wouldn't blow up.

So I safely got back home and pulled off the Intake Manifold to inspect it.

SDC10986.jpg

SDC10987.jpg

This is where all the coolant was squirting back out from.

SDC10988.jpg

I took off the FITV and I find this :eek:

SDC10989.jpg

The FITV as well as the little nipple that the coolant goes into was dirty and corroded so the coolant had nowhere to go but back out the damn hose.

Gonna clean it out now and it should pretty much solve the overheating problem.

May 16, 2010 Part 2

The delly is up and running again :D hopefully no more problems arise.

I cleaned out the FITV and some of the small hoses. Bought another jug of coolant and started pouring it in the radiator and noticed coolant leaking out from the hose thats under the dizzy. Well the problem was the clamp wasn't fully on the hose and the part it sticks onto, so overtime the tightness of it just tore a hole in the hose. Luckly there was enough slack to just cut that part of the hose off and put it back on properly with the clamp.

SDC10992.jpg

SDC10996.jpg

No more problemo! Honda engines are so damn easy to diagnoise and work on. I can't wait till I get a new engine for this sucker.

nice :thumbsup: i wish i could have the same luck with mine... i've just bought a new clutch and tranny for it and cant get the axle nuts off so we're gonna have our mechanic do it for cheap hopefully... i really like your car though looks like you are doin everything right

nice :thumbsup: i wish i could have the same luck with mine... i've just bought a new clutch and tranny for it and cant get the axle nuts off so we're gonna have our mechanic do it for cheap hopefully... i really like your car though looks like you are doin everything right

Thanks!

I think I need some experience on suspension and how to remove the axles. I'm pretty sure I'm going to swap my engine soon and that's the only thing that I don't have much knowledge about yet. I should start researching now.

the axles are just kinda tricky (from my experiences) you just need to heat the nuts up and break them loose im pretty sure, then push them out (i think lol)

Back