CAFROG's K20-R EGg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was expecting the rattles but when it comes down to it.......I was wishing it was less severe. But you do feel the motor and all that is going on.....all of it....serious lol

I was expecting the rattles but when it comes down to it.......I was wishing it was less severe. But you do feel the motor and all that is going on.....all of it....serious lol
Mine is noisy as hell inside when idling. The inside rear view mirror shakes so much the image is totally blurred out. It smoothes out when moving so the mirror works. Cabin noise also tones down and exhaust noise takes over when moving.

It's a HotRod - WTF??? :D

yup solid mounts will do that, on my teg it dose the same thing, When It lopes in the morning its always fun to sit in the car lol

They're definitely noisy with the solid core mounts. My '91 hatch sounds like a harvesting machine inside now. Gotta work on some of the rattles and vibration in the cabin.

Haha, good luck getting rid of those rattles! I have nothing in my 91 B16 (hasport mounts) Civic except the dash, steering column, and the two front seats... The whole car rattles even though there is nothing to make any noise :x

Carfrog, the car is coming along great! I can't wait to upgrade to a k20 or k24 in the Civic... maybe two years from now.

Very nice! Looks like your 6th is still taller than the S2000's.

I dont know anyone that runs these AMR coilovers. Its kind of like those pic coilovers..function form etc...all chinese.

The spring rates you listed I think will be a decent balance.

I have 2 sets I run right now for track use, 500/800 and 800/1100 with a 23mm bar in the rear on my 95 HB. Great rotation and I have been very happy with them so far but I might need to go to a more expensive setup at some point.

Im running the higher end Progress Technology that they offer with Hyperco springs which cost me about $1300 shipped. The additional set of springs was about $150. The nice thing with these is I get great support and they can be revalved and rebuilt for $75 a corner. Thats something to keep in mind, I also had that set valved for the rates Im running.

I dont know anyone that runs these AMR coilovers. Its kind of like those pic coilovers..function form etc...all chinese.

Are you saying the pics of AMR look similar to Chinese brands?
AMR has only been around 5-6 years. They are totally rebuildable dampers and you have them valve them based on your spring rates too.

I just want something strong lasting and allows me to service the shocks.

I think they are made by the same people that make megan, d2, function form, pic, omni, ksport, etc. They could pay for better quality control in comparison but I havent been sold on any of these when there are better options in my opinion for the same price or a little more. Koni has a lifetime warranty too if thats what you are looking for.

I have owned skunk2, tanabe, koni sports (shocks with sleeves), kyb (shocks with sleeves),and progress.

The progress so far have been the best for me. I have not used the koni race from them but I bet they are slightly better than what I have now.

For the street konis/ground control cant really be beat in my opinion.

I think they are made by the same people that make megan, d2, function form, pic, omni, ksport, etc.

There machine work seems to be top notch but I consider myself a nOOb when it comes to coil-overs (never owned any)
Lifetime warranty on parts. Although shocks may need a rebuild.....no one with Hondas has yet....but I bet some rally Evo's and such

I just looked into AMR based on testimonies on k20a.org.

They do say "Assembled in the USA" but nothing more specific.
I guess they could be assembled by the same company as those above.

Are you saying the product is essentially the same as those above except the shocks? Or....?

Same tops?

I truly don't know enough to make the best decision (or remotely close) so any advise will be nice to hear. But I am leaning towards a nice road course set up that wont knock my fillings out on the street.

550/650 seems tolerable and I can learn to drive on them. Too stiff scares me a little (especially on the street....skip-skip-slide)

Last edited:
I think they are made by the same people that make megan, d2, function form, pic, omni, ksport, etc. They could pay for better quality control in comparison but I havent been sold on any of these when there are better options in my opinion for the same price or a little more. Koni has a lifetime warranty too if thats what you are looking for.

I have owned skunk2, tanabe, koni sports (shocks with sleeves), kyb (shocks with sleeves),and progress.

The progress so far have been the best for me. I have not used the koni race from them but I bet they are slightly better than what I have now.

For the street konis/ground control cant really be beat in my opinion.

These guys MAKE this. It really isn't k-sport/d2. They also use hypercoils.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xzoYbVaueM

I looked into Progress.......the machining and such doesn't impress me.

Talked with Andy from AMR today. Hopefully I will be getting a set form him in the next few months.......stupid XMAS draining my fun car funds.

All I got from that video is they machined their top hats.

Seems they get asked this question a lot to have it as a FAQ.

FAQ from their website.

12. Are your coilovers made in the USA as well as your other parts?
We get this question often, and the answer is yes, and no. There are quite a few components both internally and externally when it comes to our dampers. Just like many companies out there we outsource, and get parts from various companies around the world. We build our coilovers in the USA, but not every single component such as our seals are made in the USA. We are not in the business of making rubber parts, and we are not tooled up to make shock shafts as well. I assure you though our partners we deal with provide us with high quality parts and meet our strict demands for quality. We have been dealing with many of our suppliers for many many years, and this is one of the many reasons why we have been able to go 5+ years without a single blown damper. Rest assure our durability is proven, and the people we deal with to produce components or provide us materials are the best in the business. Not only have we proved the durability of our product, but we back it up with a LIFETIME WARRANTY! We also produce many suspension parts such as strut tower bars, and swaybars for example which are all made in the USA. Those parts do not require anything special, and we have all the tooling to produce those parts ourselves. We are here to provide quality products to our customers, and we have been doing this for many years.

So like I said, China. That isnt a bad thing necessacarily as I mentioned they probably have better QC and it looks like they fix the weak pieces on the cheaper coilover system which is smart....then they machine some pretty tophats......someone prove me wrong.

You can get what you want, I actually own the Progress and I have owned Konis as well as the others I mentioned. I dont know what would be wrong with the machining? These do what they are supposed to do I know that.

489.694.800x600.75.1003.JPG

The PROGRESS Group Inc. has supplied engineering services and/or suspension components to the following premier automotive companies or divisions:
American Honda Motor Corporation
American Suzuki Motor Corporation
Daimler/Chrysler
Mazda North American Operations
NISMO, and Nissan Motorsports
Roush Performance Products, and Roush Industries
Saturn Corporation

These arent all flashy looking enough I guess?

I would rather own Koni 2812s ,Koni race valved, JRZ, over my Progress but thats it.

As mentioned, I have owned my share of suspensions on the same Civic you own over about a 9 year period so I would say I do know a little about the topic.

The progress ones are fine....and much much better than any of the other ones you had on your hatch. I have ridden in Skunk2 (two different Civics one with Koni shocks) and I think the ride sucked in both.

But the way the progress attach to the rear LCA's....its not welded. Its a piece that is bolted to the shock body. It doesn't really make or break it but isn't that strong either.

I am not looking for flash....I ain't showing my car. But I just want something put together well. Your top hats are fine.....they are exactly like the OEM ones still on my hatch.

I figure most companies doing anything remotley like car parts often need to out source things. I know my cousin built wake-board towers and he out sourced tons of things (local) and still made a killing.

Last edited:
Hard track days, some street driving, and the grade 8.8 bolts are fine.

It seems like you have made your mind up on the AMRs so good luck with them.

The progress ones are fine....and much much better than any of the other ones you had on your hatch. I have ridden in Skunk2 (two different Civics one with Koni shocks) and I think the ride sucked in both.

But the way the progress attach to the rear LCA's....its not welded. Its a piece that is bolted to the shock body. It doesn't really make or break it but isn't that strong either.

I am not looking for flash....I ain't showing my car. But I just want something put together well. Your top hats are fine.....they are exactly like the OEM ones still on my hatch.

I figure most companies doing anything remotley like car parts often need to out source things. I know my cousin built wake-board towers and he out sourced tons of things (local) and still made a killing.
You are right - finish is just finish in some cases. Parts in the product world I work in are produced per engineering and planning. The finish is defined in the drawings and carried out in the planning for a part. Many time's it's up to the design engineer to put whatever finish code he wants on a part and has nothing to do wtih manufacturing capability.

So, one brand with a smooth machined finish in a non-contact area of a part when compared to another that has a coarse finish called out and anodizing is just appearance. Nothing to do with material spec or performance.

Buy my JRZ's so I can sell off the rest of my car and build a new race car. :p kthx

Back