Celerity's Car of the Week !

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well, there was the North East Challenge post - and if you can figure out how to divvy out the money, then you're welcome to it

We had people in the challenge with 600+ hp drift cars all the way to low hp autocrossers and drag cars. It was nuts. There was like, easily, $25k on the line for the winner. But no way to bracket "best of 3 results"

The original challenge was $1000 on the line, Me and B. Drag run, Autocross time, Limerock lap.

Limerock lap was kinda tough - most of the events would have placed us both in a novice "no pass" type of class for a few runs at least. Which makes "winning" a frame of mind.

As far as the Mirage, No. Not my cup of tea / Not special enough to spend that money on it.

im not so sure i believe you. seems you have to put lots of work into the cars you buy. why not buy one that you dont have to work on?

im not so sure i believe you. seems you have to put lots of work into the cars you buy. why not buy one that you dont have to work on?

Why don't you ?

Well.. before you answer that, I enjoy modifying and working on cars. I got something that's "done" - a Bike. And the better I get at it and more exposure I have to it, the more I'm thinking "Cars that go fast are completely passe. A Bike will always outperform a car"

I have a little dinky thing now and it's faster than 80% or more of the cars out there.

Also, as far as special - Limited edition or otherwise slightly off the norm. Necessary. the Civic Hatch was the most common car I've driven in my life.

The 250 will recieve nothing. MAYBE, if I can find it used / cheap, a Muzzy exhaust. And I'm going to get some bags. I like the bike the way it is.

Consider it like an HF CRX. I could do more to squeeze power out of it, or I could enjoy it is as it is and focus on another car thats actually capable of power.

That's where I am with Hondas lately. I'm looking at motors thinking how I can get more economy out of them. I could get power, but until you spend time with something that actually HAS power, you're under this delusion that you can take on Vipers with some bolt ons.

The Cosworth is like that. It's already great from the factory. I can make it into it's original config now that it doesn't have to pass emissions (ever) . But even then I'm going to end up selling it and getting a 911 or Esprit.

ROFL... Just looked up specs on the bike... 35hp/18lb/ft of torque!! WOOHOO!!! 304lb dry weight + 200lbs of Fuel, Oil, Coolant, & Rider = 504 lbs, which = 14.1 1/4 mile... Not Fast.. :)

And get the Vega Back together... I'll do a challenge against You.. $500. Winner Take All.. AutoX & Drag Race. :)

As far as the Vega is concerned, and this is directed towards everyone, it's very ignorant to make fun of, or otherwise put down, something that you don't understand.

I understand it...they fucked it up when they built them though..the concept was different

It was supposed to be a 185hp 12:1 ported/polished motor w/the Muncie 4 speed...what rolled out of the factory was a 120hp 8.5:1 run of the mill 2.0 liter..it had the Muncie but w/3.73 gears out back and a 3.11 1st gear its useless from a dig. It ran a 1/4 mile of 18.5...a 1g CRX does it in under 17

It probably handles well, but that only gets you so far..you've still got to get back up to speed coming out of the corners

pull the motor, jamb a V8 and a 12 bolt in it and then I can see it going somewhere

What he said... :)

And 14 seconds is NOT fast.. Its "not sluggish"... 13 seconds is "quick", which is what my car will do... 12 seconds it "Pretty damn good"... 11 seconds is FAST.

Just so everyone knows.... he officially has the slowest garage ever....

the only reason I say that is the Ninja 250. Those things will seriously out handle quite a few things, but power they do not have. I think it the max torque output of that motor to the ground is 14ft lbs and horsepower comes in somewhere around 27 or so.

But hey.... 70mpg and its only has 2 wheels..... lets do this!

Haters, all of you.

The Cosworth you're talking about is the first few that rolled off. I have a Borg Warner 5 speed, reverse H close ratio 4:10 Positraction rear. The block is from the Vega, but even the sleeves are different. It's Aluminum block, aluminum head but high nickel sleeves and lighter / different dished pistons, con rods and balanced crank. The water pump is 9 vane instead of 7. The mains are 2 bolt. The head is a DOHC 2 piece carrier with on-point valves and sandwiched springs (Keeps off the cam itself). The ignition is HEI. The intake is dual throttle body (30mm) with 4 injectors controlled by an AM Crystal oscillator with no dwell.

I mean dude, this is 1976. Granted, this motor would be a 400 hp monster with today's tech, but it's no slouch.

And the Ninja, I just love that thing. It's more smiles-per-dollar than anything I've ever owned. Come on man, $3000 - What do you expect ? IT's a scooter with a different seating position.

There is no such thing as an un-cool bike ! Next bike, maybe next year, will be a BMW K1200S though.

No, because I lack the track and testing equipment to do so. I gave an ass-dyno estimate and then some realistic output hopes.

The car is actually very light, has coil springs at all 4 corners, Unequal length a-arms, but they are reasonable as well. This car get bashed by everyone, but it's such a remarkable car that like I've said before:

It's faster than the 911. In a corner, the lateral forces tend to move it outwards, unlike the 911, but it's faster after the apex and in the straights.
The throttle response is awesome. The engine keeps going to 7000 rpm without breaking a sweat.

The hate must end.

And the Ninja, I just love that thing. It's more smiles-per-dollar than anything I've ever owned. Come on man, $3000 - What do you expect ? IT's a scooter with a different seating position.

There is no such thing as an un-cool bike ! Next bike, maybe next year, will be a BMW K1200S though.
BMWs are the exception and are the reason for the term "uncool bike"

btw 3grand for a 250 is about 2500 to much.

Back