Colin's EK Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well I've had the brake stuff sitting in my garage for 2 months and it still hasn't been put on. I finally got around to cleaning up the brake swap parts, installing the new ball joints, and painting everything. Today I was awarded "Engineer of the Month", so I decided to treat myself to a new set of coilovers. I am going with the Form Function basic kit. I also ordered a set of poly rear trailing arm bushings.

I forgot to update the thread, but 2 weeks ago I ditched my fat 5's for a used set of 15" black slipstreams. They look really nice on the car. The Falken Azinis that came with them grip well, but they are noisy and don't feel very refined. An upgrade is in store.

The install is this weekend, and I will be sure to post pics.

Time for some long overdue updating. 3 weeks ago a friend of mine came and helped me do a full brake/suspension upgrade on the hatch. The setup is as follows:

-gsr front and rear knuckles and calipers
-gsr e-brake cables
-gsr master cyl, and brake booster
-New front lower balljoints
-Goodridge SS brake lines at the 4 corners
-Reman rear calipers because the ones I got were crap
-Brembo Blanks all around
-Hawk HPS pads
-Energy suspension rear trailing arm bushings
-Function Form Type 1 coilovers (ride height adjustable only)

The car came with adjustable UCA's, and a camber kit in the rear. In addition are some aluminum rear LCA's

Everything was done in 1 weekend with 2 guys putting in long ass days. Thanks to Tiresmokinv8 (s-10 guy) for the drive down and long hours he put in.

Last edited:
The Civ waiting in the driveway for all her new toys
DSCN1086.jpg

Brand new coilovers look so sexy in the box
DSCN1095.jpg

I installed new OE ball joints, sanded everything, and gave it a nice paint job
DSCN1098.jpg

Here's a shot of the old setup. Eibach pro-kit springs on Eibach dampers. This setup was awesome for DD, It just left me with way too much fender gap.
DSCN1109.jpg

As usual Tiresmokinv8 and I worked to about 3-4 am every night getting shit done. Here's Rick burning out the old trailing arm bushings and pressing in the new ES ones.
DSCN1088.jpg

DSCN1094.jpg

Here's me in my Honda Whites getting ready to install one of the new front spindles.
DSCN1101.jpg

4:00 in the morning at my house. This is a regular thing.
DSCN1090.jpg

DSCN1096.jpg

The most time consuming part was the booster/master cyl. The gsr booster is much bigger than the civic one, so getting it into position was no easy task.
DSCN1114.jpg

The line coming out of the passenger side of the gsr master cyl has a larger fitting than the rest. We had to hunt down this fitting, and modify the stock line by cutting off the original flare, installing the new fitting, and reflaring it. The other line uses the same fittings, but not goes in at a weird angle. Here's a shot of that line. You can see the port it needs to go into, and the crazy angle it will have to make.
DSCN1116.jpg

Here is Tiresmokinv8 fabbing up the new line.
DSCN1123.jpg

Finally everything is done:
moz-screenshot-5.png
moz-screenshot-6.png
DSCN1124.jpg

All said and done, this is the best modification I've done to the car yet. The stance awesome now. I dialed in the ride height perfectly. The ride is firmer than before, yet body roll is almost nonexistent, and the car feels much snappier in turns. The brakes feel 100x better. The HPS's take a little to warm up, but after that they grad like crazy. The pedal feels really nice and firm, and gives great feedback.

Also, I neglected to note that I picked up some black slipstreams wrapped in some Azenis. I'm not the biggest fan of the Falkens. They are loud and unrefined, yet the grip is good so I can't complain too much.

EK is looking great man.

On a side note, if I was working on my car at 4am there would be cops at my house. I've had neighbors complain at 10am and 10pm. Well neighbor. A lot of my neighborhood works on stuff(motorcycles, mopars, chevys, hondas) and one or two people always have something to say.

Wow, all of that sounds/looks great. I want to see the slips. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone^_^ I actually ran it at the track when I first got it. Pulled off a 14.6 @ 97mph. I was pretty consistent with that time, and had 2.2-2.3 60's. Really though, it should be much faster considering it's an ITR hatch. I'm pretty sure the rings are worn badly because it smokes at high rpm's and drinks oil. The prev. owner treated it like shit. Still, it's a blast to drive.

yeah but i bet you miss that down low pull and instant punch your old setup had
:p

you inspired my JRSC build and im loving it, thanks dude!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rear disc FTW. I'll be doing that on my hatch this winter.

Nice looking car :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
first time ive caught this thread. bad ass dude. how much you selling the EG for? might be willing to make a 1k mile drive. Im gonna have a lot of time off soon (boss is forcing me to take vacation since i havent taken one in 2 years).

first time ive caught this thread. bad ass dude. how much you selling the EG for? might be willing to make a 1k mile drive. Im gonna have a lot of time off soon (boss is forcing me to take vacation since i havent taken one in 2 years).

2 years holy shit. I can't go a month without wanting a break. The eg was sold a month or 2 ago. I stripped off all the goodies excluding the motor and si wheels and sold it for $3700. Trust me you didn't want it. It looked great in pics, but the car has major rust issues underneath. I had to patch a hole in the floor in the back before selling it haha.

yeah but i bet you miss that down low pull and instant punch your old setup had
:p

you inspired my JRSC build and im loving it, thanks dude!

yea n/a 4 cly FTL. I really miss the power. How has your setup been? Got any vids or pics?

Back