D15B Vtec swap/boost/vtec/?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

its a strobe light that blinks with the revolution of the motor. It makes the pulley look like its sitting still, so you can line up the marker with the dashes on the pulley. If you rotate the dizzy, you will see the marker move along the dashes.

Ahhh ok I get it now thanks a bunch couldn't find that.

And it has to be set at BTDC or TDC like the timing belt?

So I set the pulley at BTDC (red mark), then set up the timing light, then how do I know when it's 16*? Man I'm sorry if I'm bothering you really, this isn't exactly my area and I'm trying to save a couple hundred bucks.

So I set the pulley at BTDC (red mark), then set up the timing light, then how do I know when it's 16*? Man I'm sorry if I'm bothering you really, this isn't exactly my area and I'm trying to save a couple hundred bucks.

Hook up the timing light per the instructions it came with. Start the car and shine the timing light down at the crank pulley. Look down and the pointer on the timing cover will point to what the current timing is set at. Rotate the distributor to adjust it. Adjust it so that the arrow points to the 16 degrees BTDC mark.

I know it sounds confusing. It's something you just have to do, and you will be like "wow, it was this easy?". Just do what I said and give it a shot. It will make alot more sense as you do it.

Yea, pretty much the only thing that gets me now is the 16* part. Like what do you measure it with a protractor? I'll get my hands on a timing light and try it, then ask questions if I have to. Thanks once again.

Haven't posted here in a while, but here's what's up. I've ordered the vtec sub-harness from rywire, and I've got stainless steel headers, test pipe, and an N1 catback coming really soon.

So I've decided that a turbo build is going to cost a shit load of money (to me anyway). I've decided to do an all-motor build, with nitrous. Here's what I'm lookin at:

Full header-back exhaust and test-pipe
intake i already have
skunk 2 intake manifold
ported throttle body
send out for port n polish
75-100 shot nitrous oxide (gotta research on that)
MAYBE skunk 2 valvetrain
chip with a basemap similar to my set-up

Nothing outrageous like a $1,000 header, this will be to last me until I can save up for a turbo build and internals. What do you think? I'm expecting around maybe 150-160 hp all-motor, 220-250 on the bottle, does that sound reasonable for this set-up on a d15b vtec?

just save up dor a b18c swap,,, I;'m hammmered, but what ever

thing is, if you're going boost later, don't spend money going n/a now. just go. If you think about it, you're wasting a lot of money. 1, the money on the n/a stuff could go in your turbo savings, 2, n/a components such as valvetrain is completely different than turbo components. Unfortunately though, n/a, I don't think you're going to reach 150-160 whp with that. Close, but not quite. You'll need to up your compression a bit, which again is going in the opposite direction of going turbo down the line. You will need some ARP head studs if you don't already have them, and some ARP rod bolts wouldn't hurt either. Just think about the money wasting part. Not to mention time.

thing is, if you're going boost later, don't spend money going n/a now. just go. If you think about it, you're wasting a lot of money. 1, the money on the n/a stuff could go in your turbo savings, 2, n/a components such as valvetrain is completely different than turbo components. Unfortunately though, n/a, I don't think you're going to reach 150-160 whp with that. Close, but not quite. You'll need to up your compression a bit, which again is going in the opposite direction of going turbo down the line. You will need some ARP head studs if you don't already have them, and some ARP rod bolts wouldn't hurt either. Just think about the money wasting part. Not to mention time.

Yeah, I already tried to convince him of all of this in a different thread that he made, but he seems pretty determined that he's going to build N/A now and then turbo later. Oh well, it's his money...if he wants to spend a crap load now on parts that he's just going to take off later, I guess that's his prerogative...:D

Don't forget we are talking about the brave little toaster who swapped out the worst engine option for the second worst engine option.

I'm curious to see where you are on your build. Personally though, I would piece together a turbo kit and not spend the money on N/A. Keep us updated and best of luck on your build. :D

I'm not going fully n/a. I'm just gonna finish up the exhaust and buy a nitrous kit to last me til I can afford the turbo set-up.

And undr8d I swapped for the d15b vtec mostly because I also needed to get the car running, it IS my only car and money doesn't come easy for a 16 year old. Besides, I can reach my goals on this engine, so it's the BEST engine choice for me.

Oh, and Luis I'm thinking about selling the car because it's been giving me all kinds of problems mostly electrical and I don't really have the time to re-wire the whole car like I've been wanting to for some time now. So I may sell it and buy another Honda in better condition cause mine was wrecked before I bought it and now all the wiring under the hood on the right side (lights, radiator, etc.) are always giving me problems.

Last edited:
Oh, and Luis I'm thinking about selling the car because it's been giving me all kinds of problems mostly electrical and I don't really have the time to re-wire the whole car like I've been wanting to for some time now. So I may sell it and buy another Honda in better condition cause mine was wrecked before I bought it and now all the wiring under the hood on the right side (lights, radiator, etc.) are always giving me problems.

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope that you're able to find as good of a deal as I did when I got my EK hatch. Believe me, whether you're sixteen years old or thirty one like me, it's tough to deal with your car problems at times. I have faith that you will be able to find another car in better condition for a decent price. After all, it's not like you're looking for a Ferrari. haha

On the building up your engine subject, do you really think it's worth it to spend money on a car that you're 99% sure you will end up getting rid of? I know how tempting it is to "do something now until something better comes along" but if you applied that money towards something else you may be better off in the future. Then again, you are talking about getting a NOS kit, which you will most likely be able to use in another application. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Skunk2's valve train. As I have learned from people in my own post, they tend to fail. Tray PortFlow or Ferrea instead. Even OmniPower is good too. I would hate for you to run into more problems that you're already in.

I wish more people like you lived around here that I actually knew that were into cars. It's really a shame that I don't know anyone else but my own self around here that is into all of this. I wish you the best of luck my friend. Please keep us informed as I am very curious what you end up doing and where you go with your build from here. :D

Last edited:
Well first things first whether I sell it or not I have to get that code 14 fixed that I'm still having with the IACV even though I've been thru 3 different ones all cleaned out and one brand new from ebay. Then deal with that same damn bogging around 1400 rpms I've been having but I'm pretty sure that's the cam timing just haven't got around to it and ignition timing is dead-on. I was just joking with this one guy I said "Yea man I'm selling my car for $4,000" then the next day he told me his mom was saving up for it to get it for him for his 17th bday!!! So I dunno I mean hell yea if I can get a deal like that I'm definitely selling the car but at the same time it's hard to sell it after I just swapped it with a fresh d15b vtec. I'll definitely have to see what's up later on it's gonna take some time. I'd rather trade because I'd need a car right away to get me to work, school, and back I mean both are over 5 miles away in opposite directions so that's why I want another gas-saving Honda.

Same here there's nobody into Hondas here except the ricers with the fart cans. You'll probably find this hard to believe...but a guy at the highschool parking lot was parked across from me and he actually asked me very enthusiastic about it too "Hey dude, how big is your exhaust tip?" hahahaha with his little 240 sx and his frickin 6" tip. I mean I bought the car with a fart can on it, but I'm saving up for the ebay n1 exhaust and test pipe since it's legal here to delete the cat if you know where to get your car inspected. I'm all on my own in this too just this forum to help me out pretty much.

I've found that it's one of the best forums around. Believe me when I say that too, as I belong to what, three to five of them? I've lost count. haha There are only two that I go back to often. The third one that I can remember just focuses on D-series builds, which will help me specifically for my D build. That's not to say that I won't post a thread whenever I start said build. :D

I got a question. I just drove up to Autozone to get my cooling fan switch and of course did a couple of red-line vtec pulls :). But for some reason, FIRST gear seems to be hitting rev limiter at like 6600 rpm while the rest are able to make it past 7200 rpm what's with this?

Also, there's a knocking sound coming from the front-right side when I slow down. Is this the axel? Should I try to push it in more?

Back