D15B Vtec swap/boost/vtec/?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You know there's complete tutorials online that tell you everything about tuning with programs like Crome, Turboedit, etc. I'll be going with Crome most likely since it's the cheapest option and apparently gets good results.

I'll keep that in mind.

By the way, I'm a little worried about checking the timing myself...never gone that much into it I've only worked with simple bolt-ons but I haven't timed a motor.

If I just take off the timing belt cover, manually turn the motor, and find that the tdc marks are already lined up with the "up" mark facing up then does that mean it's properly timed?

Along with a belt inspection?

Thats for the cam timing. Yes, pull the upper timing belt cover. It should be like 3 or 4 bolts. Make sure the tdc mark on the crank pulley is alligned with the marker on the lower timing cover. Then look at the cam gear. Be sure that its also alligned to tdc. Look under timing belt change in your service manual and it will tell you exactly how to do it.

When I was talking about timing, I meant ignition timing. Get a timing light and check it. Your fsm should have the instructions and specs for this. Neither of these are complicated jobs.

Alright thanks, you think the factory service manual can be used for the d15b vtec? It's a factory 93' civic manual it covers d15b7, z1, and z6 motors with different instructions on each. I would think I should follow the z6 but it IS a 1.5 liter. O well I'll see what I come up with.

id follow the z6. They are all simmilar so it shouldnt matter

I took a look at the fsm for the timing belt I wasn't ready to go n take the valve cover and all that other shit off lol. I'll get to it tomorrow or monday. Also I checked for error codes again......

Does my ecu have some sort of twisted sense of humor?! Both code 10 and 14 came back and I replaced both the iacv and the iat sensors with guaranteed working condition sensors.

So....I pulled out the volt meter again. The IACV is getting 11.74 volts and the IAT is getting 4.97. Both worked for some time. Then the codes came back. And sometimes when I reset the ecu, they disappear again. But no matter what when I start it, the code 14 always comes back (iacv) and sometimes the IAT comes back... Idle's still shitty too. The coolant is completely drained, could that be why those sensors aren't functioning right? Is there not enough voltage? What's going on lol.

But I did take advantage of the whole afternoon to clean out my car and get it ready for the shop. That thing was DIRTY as fuck and was full of extra shit. I cleaned it out entirely, put the ecu back on, stapled the carpet back up, tucked the loose wires back in, put all the panels back on, vacuumed every square inch of the interior, and cleaned the mats. It looks soo much better than it did I'd post pics if it wasn't already dark when I was done with that sumbitch :D.

Make sure you have enough coolant, and make sure there isn't any air in the system. That can cause the idle valves to mess up because they can't get a good reading.

Ok so it sounds to me that there's obviously not enough coolant and possibly air in the system then because every time I reset the ecu, and turn the key on without engine start, those codes go way so the sensors are fine.

Thanks I can't believe I didn't see that sooner.

Well the Civic's at pepboys they're workin on the leaks. In the meantime I went to the junkyard and got me somethin cool :D.

EXCluster.jpg

EXCluster2.jpg

Not bad for $40 eh? I just hope everything works. And I tore that dash to shreads on the EX it came out of haha.

Night update: Pepboys tried to dick me AGAIN. They said the "inlet for the radiator hose on the head is cracked so I need a new head" bullshit. The inlet is detachable and there is NO sign of any symptom of a cracked head. I told them fuck that and got my car back for no charge.

So I got it home and put in the EX cluster! Man that thing is so much better I hated the way my DX cluster lit up behind the gauge faces it was cheap looking but now it looks a little more modern it's much better. That's all for today. The temperature gauge doesn't work on it but neither did my old one, no complaints I'm happy :D.

no temp guage?? id just run an aftermarket one to a guage pod.. like the one from faze that i gots

I'd check the wiring. Its only a thermistor with 2 wires going in and out of it to the ecu. You probably messed up the plug or something.

Is it the green or the yellow plug on the bottom of the cluster from the back? That was weird the EX I pulled it from had both the yellow one and the green one but the cluster I had the DX didn't have the green opening and my car doesn't have the green plug. It looks like someone who owned it before me did some shit to the wires they're taped n shit.

And the temp. gauge hasn't worked since I bought the car. I still can't believe pepbitches tried to fuck me over like that I would've beat the head guy's ass with a wrench if I picked it up and the head was fucked.

Holy SHIT. I was checking the service manuals (electrical troubleshooting manual, AND service manual) for small problems like the dome light, and a few others. And I just found a diagram that shows me that I forgot to put on an engine ground...the one that goes on the transmission.

Does it just bolt from the transmission to any metal or is it from something else to the tranny?

Could this have something to do with my CEL? It IS an engine ground.

Oh, and also, it says there's supposed to be a starter cable going from the starter solenoid to the under-hood fuse/relay box? I don't remember putting that on either, and it starts up just fine even in under 30 degrees weather.

Last edited:
thats nuts dood...how much were they talkin if you let em fix the "head" problem? what a bunch of fuckers...the temp guage should be a one wire sensor on the back of the block. id check that

Holy SHIT. I was checking the service manuals (electrical troubleshooting manual, AND service manual) for small problems like the dome light, and a few others. And I just found a diagram that shows me that I forgot to put on an engine ground...the one that goes on the transmission.

Does it just bolt from the transmission to any metal or is it from something else to the tranny?

Could this have something to do with my CEL? It IS an engine ground.

that ground is for the harness...any bare metal surface will work for it. just easier to ground it to the trans is all. could be your source of electrical gremlins....

So where should the ground be attached? I know from any metal, but to what else? Does it go on the harness or what? Thanks alot.

And yea they were trying to tell me "UHH we're not sure but I can tell you right now it'd be at least a couple hunerd bucks" I was like "That's alright I'm picking it up". I thought they only did that to females so they could get laid when the girl can't afford the fix.

In the diagram it looks like it's just like the engine ground from the valve cover to the body. Looks like it just goes from the tranny to this bolt on some random piece of metal.

Back