employment

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

As for the recommendations by some to try construction, it's probably not a great idea. From what I have seen, new construction is bad right now. There are contractors all over that are going under. My job is secure for the most part because at the level our clients are at, this economy problem doesn't stop them from buying something they want for the most part.

Pretty much all customer service jobs are gonna be rough right now, but I would suggest finding a restaurant to work at if you can deal with people. I was a server for like 4 years, and I made decent money and had a flexible schedule. Also a perk to that kind of job is meeting new people all the time, whether it be friends or girls.

Oh yea, something else. Post up an ad on craigslist for odd jobs. List anything you can or are willing to do. I did that a while back when I was dead broke, and i actually got a lot of responses from people needing stuff done. I actually ended up getting like 5 jobs from this one contractor who payed me 17/hour to help install shopping cart security systems. just watch out for weirdos, seriously. Craigslist is tweaker city, and I imagine there are probably some weird sexual predators on there also.

Last edited:
for clayton: Sikorsky

lol

don't be put off by only having a high school diploma. That's all I have, that's all clayton has, that's all E has, that's all turbomirage has...

we all worked our asses off and learned something and got good jobs. you can do it too.

It's all about your resume'. 99% of the time, you'll need to be trained to do it how they do it anyway as every place is different.

Find something you're interested in... and then get a resume' built around it.

Blab about your customer service skills, people interaction, management potential, interest in the niche, etc etc

thanks ma I appreciate the advice and I know I can believe it coming from you guys, you all seem to be doing pretty well for yourselves. The only issue at hand now though is that I honestly have no idea how I would go about making a decent looking resume. I wouldn't know where to begin with sikorsky, could you possibly give me a few tips on what I should do clayton.

Good formatting matters. Here's mine. It's short and sweet, and 1 page. No one will go past the 1st page unless you got something important that catches their eye, and its not really even necessary to use more than one page anyway. When I looked at the competing douchebag's resumes for this job, I found all kinds of spelling errors in them, and shitty formatting like crazy, even some had colored fonts-on a guys resume. There's no need for flashy shit, period.
Dustin_Michelson_Resume-E.png

BTW, I used a free template I found online and tweaked it to my liking

Last edited:
Good formatting matters. Here's mine. It's short and sweet, and 1 page. No one will go past the 1st page unless you got something important that catches their eye, and its not really even necessary to use more than one page anyway. When I looked at the competing douchebag's resumes for this job, I found all kinds of spelling errors in them, and shitty formatting like crazy, even some had colored fonts-on a guys resume. There's no need for flashy shit, period.
Dustin_Michelson_Resume-E.png

BTW, I used a free template I found online and tweaked it to my liking

Now THAT is some good, useful advice...a good format for a resume. Rep point for you. :D

that objective sucks. lol i stopped reading and threw it out

that objective sucks. lol i stopped reading and threw it out
Yes, thats the weak, weak part. I don't have shit to say for an objective. I want to just leave out the objective from now on, think thats okay? its a really unnecessary part

it's like "Gee, i wonder why he's applying!? OH YEAH CUZ HE FOUND OUR AD"

objectives were worthwhile back in the day... because there was no internet or job codes. Basically, you put your paper res in a bin and hoped somebody read it.
now, it goes via email and contains the job code from monster or whatever.

clean driving record?
hell, go to a dealership and start off as a lot porter or a detailer.

if you have an infiniti dealership nearby i'd go there first.
ours pays detailers 11/hr.

just dress really fucking nice to the interveiw.
they beleive infiniti to be upper class, so they want you to look the part.

and theres always room for advancement in those bottom positions.

clean driving record?
hell, go to a dealership and start off as a lot porter or a detailer.

if you have an infiniti dealership nearby i'd go there first.
ours pays detailers 11/hr.

just dress really fucking nice to the interveiw.
they beleive infiniti to be upper class, so they want you to look the part.

and theres always room for advancement in those bottom positions.

Their is a Honda dealership I saw that is hiring in Johnson city which is maybe 30 minutes away from me for salesmen. I've been trying to get ahold of them for awhile but so far have had no luck.

klayton may I ask what your last name is? I need it to fill in the "employee referal section of the application for sik

fuck being a salesman, theres zero job security there.
if you dont make sales, your out.
i work at a dealership, i just got into sales, and i dont really care for it.
but it may be different there. doubt it though.

but trying to get ahold of them?
you need to go there and speak wit them in person.
look on the internet at the website, and find a fax number to somebody that does the hiring.
then fax your resume.
or just go in and fill out an ap.

dont call, they wont listen.

yea sales are a bitch I've worked sales before as a traveling salesman selling bs items for some bs company needless to say it only lasted a week before I couldn't handle it. I've tried calling them but I guess as you said calling them does no good....fuck....

There is no job security in ANYTHING. There are fields that will always be there, but a multi million dollar corporation can shit the bed overnight.

I find the objective only to be important because it's the first paragraph and.....the first impression, so you want it to sound good. I never seem to write my objective sounding the way I want it to either and is always my weak point as well.

Without it, the resume just seems to be missing something

I find the objective only to be important because it's the first paragraph and.....the first impression, so you want it to sound good. I never seem to write my objective sounding the way I want it to either and is always my weak point as well.

Without it, the resume just seems to be missing something
that pretty much sums up what I think every time i rewrite my resume

I filled out an application for sik and wrote out a resume, hopefully something will happen....

Back