Front end groan when turning

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vic44

Hello all. My 91 civic si has a coil over suspension and i hear a groan in the front end when i turn the wheel, i'm not sure if its coming from the strut bearings or the steering rack, it doesn't have power steering.

I picked this car up last year at an auction and i'm not sure how old the struts are, i'm going to replace them anyhow by the end of the summer. The car runs prestine otherwise, and handles fantastic. I never before drove a car with as much agility as this one. Scooting through traffic is a breeze

Things replaced so far.

Front wheel bearings (both sides)
Brakes (Complete)
CV joint passenger side

Has anyone else ever had this groaning problem or know what it may be?

Thanks
Vic.

Yes thats exactly what it sounds like.

Thanks man appreciate the quick answer.

I wanted to upgrade the coil overs anyhow, what is a good brand at a reasonable price? I intend to keep this little beauty for many years and would like to install a good set. I don't intend to race it or anything but its a daily driver and its just so much damn fun to drive. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks
Vic :mrgreen:

Thanks again Blanco

I'll do a search on e-bay, I like the adjustable spring concept. I'm not sure what brand is on there right now, the name has been worn off but they look like the've been on there for a while.

$400.00 is not bad, i've was thinking i was going to have to pay alot more for a decent set.

We have a speed shop here in town, i'll see if they carry the brand you suggested, if not e-bay it is.

I bought this car for next to nothing so i can splurge a bit on fixing it up.

As always its been a pleasure. :mrgreen:

Thanks again :mrgreen:
Vic.

Have you been through the whole front end with a grease gun? If something is creaking it couldn't hurt to hit all the zerk fittings with some grease.

No i haven't greased anything but the tie rods, i'm putting it upon stands today and i'll have a looksee for nipples.

Thanks
Vic.

Back