Got started on my Wire Tuck! 56k warning(I hope I know what I'm doing...)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

you just madea big mistake, you have to solder those connections, they are the veins of your electrical system
soldering is not hard at all : heat and apply solder
i would go back and do it over

I agree. Even though it's working now, please trust us when we tell you that it may not last very long.
Having a good connection ensures proper current flow, which is pretty important if you wanna see through the darkness at night. ^_^

Like formby said, I too would suggest re-doing it correctly. Radioshack sells a butane soldering gun and .035" solder which is (IMO) perfect for this job. you don't have to worry about power wires for your soldering gun, and you can easily manuver everything w/o the excess tension on the iron.

There was a great tech article on soldering on here... *rummage, rummage*
Here it is.

Also go ahead and buy some heat shrink tubing from Home Depot or somewhere. It's MUCH better than electrical tape, as far as keeping a secure connection sealed.

Thanks for the nice compliment Formby. Good luck on that EK project!
-Andrew

Update 9/15

Tada!
42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

Passenger side is DONE! (all except for 2 wires....^_^... yes it was on purpose...)

Tomorrow I think I'll be extremely busy almost all day, so I doubt I'll be able to do any work.
Sunday we're going to the track. (1/4 mi)
My bro-n-law is running his GSR,
His dad is running his 600hp(on motor) ford ranger and will also test out the nitrous on it(freshly rebuilt motor, so he's only sprayin a 100 shot, then slowly easein' up to his 200/250 shot goal.
And I'll be there to take pictures and videos. (don't worry, I'll post them up)

Whattathink so far?

noice job!

i wouldnt want to mount those electrical boxes so low, though. i would have probably elec-taped them all together and strapped them to the outer frame inside the fender.

The Relays?
Naa. there fine. They're hidden/covered from rain by the bumper.(if thats what you meant)

well yeah, but that doesnt mean water wont get in there.

well, now is the time to move it if I really need to.
I've seen guys do it this way on their tucks, so I think it's ok, but I still wanna be able to change the relay when/if it goes out, hence I'd rather not tape everything up. but if you guys really, really think they should be relocated, I guess I'll consider it.

i think they look fine where they are... besides i think they actually ground through the mount point

damn your rotors are rusty!!

it's probably because it's been sitting forever.

also, for next time, don't cut all the wires in the same spot. stagger them you don't have a big section of wires that have had work done. space them out a little bit.

Oh No! Not a Same Color Wire Mod!!

I would have bought a spare harness & hacked that up in order to make extending the wires match... If ONE wire is wrong, your FUCKED.

Oh No! Not a Same Color Wire Mod!!

If ONE wire is wrong, your FUCKED.
Thats why I took my time and made sure of my wiring.
And I'm not color-blind...

get_nick said:
it's probably because it's been sitting forever.

also, for next time, don't cut all the wires in the same spot. stagger them you don't have a big section of wires that have had work done. space them out a little bit.

Yeah the car hasn't driven in about 3-4 weeks, and probably won't for another 2-3.-waiting on motor....

And thats a pretty good idea. I'd probably would have been easier, but o well.. I guess I'll do it next time like ya said!

We got in from the drag strip last night. a quick run down:
GSR. full int, new yokohama avs es100's, ITR header(no exhaust, just header), intake, BLOWN HEAD GASKET!
15.5 @ 90.xx
'04 Focus SVT. toyo proxies 4(about 10k on 'em.), AEM CAI.
15.7 @ 88.xx
'87 ranger. Built 351, (the works)- roll cage, fuel cell, slicks, etc.
12.1 @ 111.54 w/o nitrous.
10.6 @ 126.29 w/ 150 shot.

We had a blast! we were hoping for 10.9999 at most with the ranger, so when he rolled up and drove a 10.6 we were..............overjoyed.. to say the least.
Ladies and Gentlemen, that is a 10 sec. streetable(he drives it to work sometimes) FORD RANGER, built in the backyard.
Congradulations Terrance and Jay!

-Andrew

sweet... videos are great... make one

I took 25 vids

it's just gonna take me a while to convert all those vids, and to resize all the pics.
once I do it I'll put a link in this thread to the pic/vid thread.

Update 9-18
Pictures of yesterday's races

I'm almost finished up with the drivers side:
47.jpg

And I cleaned up my engine/cabin harness. I'm thinking this is how I'm going to mount the fuse box. (let my fuel filter hide under the IM. probably secure it with some zip-ties or something...)
48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

-Andrew

What does everyone think of that fusebox location?
I think the only draw back is gonna be the excess length of wires coming from the cabin, however, I think the trans will do a good job of hiding it.

woot woot ! back on line!!! man i missed alot. hey Andrew nice job on the wire tuck. Thats why you havent called me! lol. man it looks so good i think i might do it to my red crx..................nahhhh. i'v got to many things going wrong with ac crap and stuff. good luck and keep those write up coming!

haha... yeah, I figured I might as well use my online time for the better of the community by doin those writeups... even though they suck... ;)

I'll update probably tomorrow on my progress. I ran out of solder yesterday, so thats whats held me up.

oh, and Abel, if you do wanna do it, i'll give you a hand. it's no fun, but it's not that hard at all.
-Andrew

Back