JDM pass California smog??? Charcoal Canister

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PM Replied again. Hope everything goes good :) Smog is a bitch.

Wait till OBD3 finally lets loose, we'll all be sorry then :(

First time I had a problem getting the EGg to smog. LS for 10yrs and it burnt really clean. That's what makes me think my cat is okay still.....

He may have been a dick when he gave me the smog test.....didn't ask me to run it around the block or nothing.

Got another ECU on order and it will be here mid next week. Gonna try to smog and see if the cat is ate up from the rich running ECU....if so....next step is a cat....maybe an O2 sensor too.

Put the ECU in today...(checked it for a chip first lol) Knock Sensor threw a code (finally) and I have one to put on (waiting for my friend to let me borrow a deep socket big enough). Gonna try to get a smog after work tomorrow (fingers crossed) My registration is due in a few days.

I may still need a Cat. Was told by 3 guys that the aftermarket cats are crap and probably wont be efficient when I smog in 2 years. And at $200 a pop...thats bull crap.

Nice!

I'm actually going through the same process as we speak.
I recently did a b16a swap but smog was due this month...
I ordered a brand new magnaflow cat and obtained a usdm p30-A00 ecu and heading to a smog station this weekend. Haven't bar'd it yet but that'll be down the road...
Crossing my fingers that i pass :[

hi, i was wondering do you really need a NEW cat? because my friend just gave me his cat that passed his ls recently and was wondering will that pass

but the cat is not installed yet so the car's running richness wont destory the cat

Not to brag or nothing but I'm sure glad I live in Alberta, Canada where we have none of these smog laws and BAR tests. Sounds like such a hassle. Good luck.

Not to brag or nothing but I'm sure glad I live in Alberta, Canada where we have none of these smog laws and BAR tests. Sounds like such a hassle. Good luck.
Indeed brother...the trees make up for it. :D

british-columbia.jpg

AS long as your TB has the MAP sensor mounted on the top...its all good. But if its a firewall mounted MAP....you need to change it.

Top mount is on the TB while exhaust mount uses a vacuum line from TB to the firewall mounted map. Check out my thread in my sig and you'll see my old TB and map no the firewall. I now have a USDM TB and a B16A3 IM (yes you need it or you need to tap your existing IM to accept the vacuum line to the Evap Purge solenoid.

Back