Matts96HB's EJ6 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

And what praytell, did you have to do?

Drilled it out and used a Heli-Coil kit. I wasn't able to keep out of the old threads, but I drilled the old bolt out completely. Best part is that I'll be able to use an OEM bolt there again.

Also went shooting with my Dad today and got my first AR15. Pretty basic but it has a 20" heavy barrel that I love.

Today was a good day :)

Here's where I'm at after today
2012-05-29_15-51-33_922.jpg

Tomorrow is my last day off of work so I am going to try and get it as close to running as possible. I need a TB gasket, a missing plug for the harness, a throttle cable bracket, and a few other little things. :thumbsup:

Not too much visible progress on the car today. I fabbed up a bracket for the throttle cable and began plugging the wiring harness in. I am going to ship the ECU out for VTEC conversion to Xenocron tomorrow (hopefully.)

Tonight I'll be working on my DD for a bit. 5 bulbs were burned out between the gauge cluster and the climate control. Total cost for OEM replacements was going to be ~$20, so I figured I'd just do an LED conversion. Came out to $40 total for the supplies. I'll be doing a write-up tonight on how to do it properly with white LED bulbs.

I am short a couple of LED's for the gauge cluster. I'm not sure how that happened.

Anyway, I spent the majority of the night working on removing the blue tint from the back of the gauge cluster last night. It was a real PITA. I used a ton of Q tips and 100% acetone nail polish remover. I got it all put back together, and my speedo needle is a little jumpy, so I'll have to pull that and reset it. Thankfully I won't have to pull the entire cluster apart again to do so.

The projectors for my retrofit should be arriving today, so I'll be working on that and finishing up the interior LED's tonight. Pics to follow, they're on my phone I just need to upload them and put them in a thread here. Going to start a new thread for the Accord.

Meh, I'll just add pics of the Accord here.

Box o stuffz
2012-06-01_13-18-38_504.jpg

Bumper and headlights off
2012-06-01_14-33-00_650.jpg

Headlight lense nastiness
2012-06-01_14-42-45_884.jpg

2012-06-01_14-42-53_248.jpg

Separated
2012-06-01_15-48-43_23.jpg

Re-assembled, retrofitted
2012-06-01_21-16-10_177.jpg

light output pics, yes I realize they're a little crooked, I havent had time to get in there and turn them yet.
2012-06-02_21-38-22_600.jpg

2012-06-02_21-38-59_323.jpg

2012-06-02_21-39-50_844.jpg

LED conversion in the console, deck installed
2012-06-02_21-25-22_206.jpg

Cluster is half LED's, half OEM bulbs because I ran out. I was going for the 7th generation Accord look on the lighting. Sorry the pictures are terrible, I was in a rush and took them with my phone haha

Last edited:
Yep! I got the Morimoto mini H1's. I am pretty satisfied with the outcome. The kit was a little pricey but it was a very quick and painless install, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Sweet. I think I'm just going to go whole hog and cut up the Frontier's housings for the FXR conversion. Extra headlights increase the boldness factor a little bit. ;)

Nice retrofit Matt. I want to retrofit my Civic one of these days. Along with all of the other stuff I still have to take care of on that damned car.

How do you separate your headlight lenses from the assembly? I've tried a few different ways over the years and its always a PITA. And I usually wind up cracking something.

oven sir. oven.

I think 200' over a few minutes and the lenses unglue real easy. I've had plenty of friends try it and had success the first time.

oven sir. oven.

I think 200' over a few minutes and the lenses unglue real easy. I've had plenty of friends try it and had success the first time.
I tried that once. They didn't even budge. Guess I have to leave them in longer.

Check my thread in my sig. I'll rehost the pictures as soon as I get back home.

Yeah 200 degrees for 10-12 mminutes is what I did and they came apart pretty easily. I started at the end furthest from the turn signal and pry until you can get your hand in there to separate it. Make sure you separate the tabs around the light before you try to pull it apart or you'll break them.

Yeah 200 degrees for 10-12 mminutes is what I did and they came apart pretty easily. I started at the end furthest from the turn signal and pry until you can get your hand in there to separate it. Make sure you separate the tabs around the light before you try to pull it apart or you'll break them.
Alright, I've never left them in that long. Definitely the problem.

Back