Matts96HB's EJ6 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

im in the process of another compression test, but so far it doesnt look good.

test #1- throttle open, cylinders dry
cyl 1 - 135 psi
cyl 2 - 135 psi
cyl 3 - 140 psi
cyl 4 - 140 psi

test #2- throttle open, cylinders have a cap full of oil in them
cyl 1 - 165 psi

thats as far as ive got so far, attempting to recharge the battery so i can finish it right now.
ive always been told that if you add oil and the compression jumps significantly, the rings are toast. any input on this?

edit: meh, went ahead and started pulling the engine. sleeved bottom end here i come.

Last edited:
Yes, having a significant change in your compression reading when you add a little oil to the cylinder indicates that the rings are not sealing properly. Either they are washed out from flooding the engine or they are toast from hard use.

Last edited:
engine is out and mostly tore down. everything looked pretty good.
block goes to the machine shop tuesday
cylinder head will go out for some work tuesday or wednesday
tuesday or wednesday for the transmission as well

i will not be using je rings again, i was not impressed

engine is out and mostly tore down. everything looked pretty good.
block goes to the machine shop tuesday
cylinder head will go out for some work tuesday or wednesday
tuesday or wednesday for the transmission as well

i will not be using je rings again, i was not impressed

block is at the machine shop
still trying to find someone to work on my transmission
found a complete gsr head on craigs for 350.. might offer the guy 250 and see if i can get it
if so, ls/vtec

Is your engine just an LS right now? I thought you had a b16 head already, but maybe I got confused. Too many build threads to keep track of.

Yeah, it is just an LS as of right now. I'm not sure if I'll go ahead with the VTEC head or not. There are some benefits, but also some possible headache as well.

I was just reading about building an ls/vtec, and it does seem like it could be a headache. There are a lot opportunities for something to go wrong. Not that you could not handle it.

Yeah, there's a few little things that you must do in order to ensure everything working properly on the first run. I'm going to see how complete the cylinder head is, and go from there. $350 is a lot for a stock head that doesn't include everything.

hate to thread jack but didn't someone mention a while back about a melted ground wire or something? I'm having the same issue and was trying to find the message thought it was this thread.

I've never had a problem with a melted groundwire, at least not that I know of.

In other news, I've decided to rebuild the transmission. The third gear grind was really starting to bother me.

Update for those of you wondering:
The block is back from the machine shop. I've received most of the parts I need to finish my rebuild on the transmission, just waiting on the 3-4 synchro sleeve. I went with Synchrotech carbon coated synchros.

Ordered a new OEM oil pump, that should be here within the next 10 days (or sooner, I hope) all new gaskets and seals for the bottom end are here, and the very last thing in question is the cylinder head. The things the engine was doing were common of a few different problems, one of them being bad valve stem seals. So, why chance it? The cylinder head is out being inspected and possibly having some other work done as well.

Yeah - don't chance the head - Git 'R Done right while it's apart. They can also check it to ensure it's nice and flat.

You have tranny experience? I did a Borg Warner 3 speed quite a few years ago. Never seen the innards of a Honda tranny. Done a few Kawasaki motorcycle tranny's while the cases were split while dongt the bottom end on a couple of two strokes.

The older BW's had to be jest right for the synchro's to function correctly.

Making me think about building one up for mine next time it needs it. I had a shop do the last (probably first and only) rebuild on mine.

Last edited:
its going to be nice when you get it back together! i agree on making sure the head is good. often not that expensive to fix and very important.

Glad to hear the car will be around for at least a little while longer.

So you did go ahead with the sleeves, or wut? Whats the new power goal?

Back