My B18 swap in a 90 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I want to see this in person. I wish I had the place to work on my car and clean it up like you did. Excellent freakin' job man. Just wow. I commend you for all of the hard work and dedication you have put forth on your project. :thumbsup: I'd rep you, but the rep God's are wanting me to spread the wealth some. haha

man i love the wiring job you did looks great hope you dont have any problems with it i know that the cyp and ckp in the dizzy are shielded in a oem harness hopefully you dont run in to a problem there thats the only down fall i see so far looks good and keep up the good work

also on the trany rebuild thats a great job you have done take it all the way apart and clean every piece i build tranys every day and that is the bigest mistake people make is not geting them clean you only forgot one thing when you had it apart send it to me for a good micropolish

What you are thinking about is color soaking heat from the sunlight. The IM being out of sunlight won't be affected by the color. The turbo isn't going on yet and when/if it does it's going to be low PSI.
That only applies to 'light ray' heat? i feel dumb lol... Does hondata make heatsheild IM gasket for the LS motors? If so, get one. It's well worth the $50:) I had one on my B16 and after a half hour of driving I could literally rest my hand on the IM. You're never able to do that with the OEM paper gasket :D

EDIT: Hondata does make one... http://hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html

b18a_b18b.JPG

Last edited:
That only applies to 'light ray' heat? i feel dumb lol... Does hondata make heatsheild IM gasket for the LS motors? If so, get one. It's well worth the $50:) I had one on my B16 and after a half hour of driving I could literally rest my hand on the IM. You're never able to do that with the OEM paper gasket :D

EDIT: Hondata does make one... Heatshield

b18a_b18b.JPG

Cool thanks for the info I will look into that when I change out the IM and maybe put the turbo on.

Here's an update. I got the engine in the car. Painted the IM and the TB. Now I'm just trying to tie up the loose ends. Hopefully I will get this thing running soon.

DSC00923.jpg

I got new bolts for the IM, VC, TB and the EGR block off plate. Allen bolts were my choice.

DSC00925.jpg

I have a whole bunch of that stiff plastic fish tank air hose and it just so happens that it's the same diameter as the vacuum hoses. I thought it would look nice.

DSC00926.jpg

DSC00918.jpg

DSC00919.jpg

The VC studs in the pics got replaced by the allen bolts and copper sleeves around the bolts so that they have a wider diameter to fill in the holes in the VC keeping it lined up right.
DSC00907.jpg

DSC00908.jpg

DSC00909.jpg

DSC00910.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

carful with the fish tank hose it does look good but most can't take the heat under the hood so do be care ful great work by the way

The fish tank air hose is pretty durable stuff, its just like any other silicone hose. And it looks like this thing is really coming along good. GL man, cant wait to see the finished project.

Yea the hose isn't that flimsy soft rubber, and thanks everyone. I'm really excited to finally get this thing done.

Here's a little update. I've got the intake and exhaust on and the electrical in. I still have to put the dash in and the interior peices.

DSC00943.jpg

DSC00944.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

DSC00946.jpg

So I haven't been able to post an update. I got a parking violation warning on the car because it was parked in the apartment complex and it was "Under Repair". It basically said if I didn't get it running or moved by yesterday it would be towed. I spent the last couple days rushing to get the car done and it didn't want to start. I called the complex and they gave me until Monday. I think I figured out what the problem was but the battery and the jump box I have are dead and I can't turn the motor over. Other than that the car is finished and it's not leaking anywhere.

Sorry I haven't updated this in a while but I got the car finished. Tuned at 237 hp. It ran and drove great. I sold it yesterday so now it's time to look for a new project.

Engine will pull harder with a 96-00 intake manifold and camshafts. Did in my LS/civic anyways. Nice job with the car. I also ran better off a PM6 ecu....this was timed at the track, but all engines are different. Pulled a 9.5 in a 1/8 mile with a LS 4.40 cable trans.

Ok guys id just like to throw this out as im curious whether anyone on here has ever successfully completed an Integra Type R 96 spec swap into an ef. Im thinking about a build that may just work using the complete 96spec suspension, transmission and engine into the ef .What im worried and curious about is the harness and electrical connections. Im weel into the idea of just simply popping on, possibly a 3' to 5' tachometer on the dash and using a ITR exhaust system aftermarket down to the test pipe then run the rest..Any information or possible feedback from someone who has pursued this sort of build would be appreciated this for me is fresh and ive never done a swap like this before...Questions : does the idea of using the entire ITR suspesion make sense and will it fit without complications.?

what are the possible wiring issues which may occur.?

given the b series set up will the b18c engine fit with out adjusting the mounts etc..

Ok guys id just like to throw this out as im curious whether anyone on here has ever successfully completed an Integra Type R 96 spec swap into an ef. Im thinking about a build that may just work using the complete 96spec suspension, transmission and engine into the ef .What im worried and curious about is the harness and electrical connections. Im weel into the idea of just simply popping on, possibly a 3' to 5' tachometer on the dash and using a ITR exhaust system aftermarket down to the test pipe then run the rest..Any information or possible feedback from someone who has pursued this sort of build would be appreciated this for me is fresh and ive never done a swap like this before...Questions : does the idea of using the entire ITR suspesion make sense and will it fit without complications.?

what are the possible wiring issues which may occur.?

given the b series set up will the b18c engine fit with out adjusting the mounts etc..

This thread was super dead and was really really surprised to see an email stating someone posted in here.

However to answer your questions.
- The 96spec ITR will swap in like any other B Series into ef
- Wiring will not be easy unless you convert to OBD1 or OBD2.
- The ITR Tranmission is hydro and you will have to convert to hydro(recommended) or use a cable to hydro adapter, which in my experience dont work that well.
- Unless you want to be called a "Ricer" do not put in a huge tach, people will only make fun of you for doing so. Just get an instrument cluster with a tach in it.
- The 96 suspension will defentally not go in easily. EF and DC Suspension setups are totally different.

If you had an EG, This would be super easy swap. Get an OBD1 dizzy, get an ecu tuned on OBD1, The suspension will simply bolt in. If its a coupe/sedan exhaust will bolt in as well. The only wiring you need to do here is throwing in VTEC wiring and a knock sensor wiring. so 5 wires vs redoing an entire harness and converting from dinosaur bones OBD0 to OBD1 or OBD2. This is doable but took me and a buddy a whole weekend to do to his EF Wagovan.

Doing this to an EF will be doable, however a huge pain, with lots of converting parts. You will probably be better off selling your ef and buying an eg to do this swap. Not only will the swap be easier, but you will have an easier time finding parts, already be obd1 and be in a much safier car.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back