My new 2010 Subaru WRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I love these cars. Functional in crappy weather, fun to drive, and decent gas mileage to boot. Cant go wrong :thumbsup:

What made you decide to go with the STi steering link?

you had me unitl 'decent gas mileage'

lol

i got like 12 mpg out of my STi.

Ive always wanted to get an old 2dr gl and lift it and use it as a hunting/winter driver. I think the look pretty cool

Mileage isn't great.

Driving how I drive, I average about 20mpg. I can squeeze 25-30 out of it if I roll around barely on throttle and use cruise control. But with traffic in this area, and my lead foot, it never happens lol

And yes, I got the STi steering link because the WRX has a rubber isolator whereas the STi one is a solid joint.

I get (relatively) bad enough mileage with the Si because the Password JDM intake gives it a Subaru like burble. I can't imagine how low the numbers would be if I had the real thing. lol

So, what's wrong with your rear/center diff? Sounded like a dog box, almost like you drop the clutch too hard too often and really messed up the drive line.

the gears just whine a bit. it's sounded like that since day one. really only noticeable in 1st. its not abnormal. i never dump the clutch. i have too much grip for that nonsense lol.

there is also a little more NVH from the rear diff because i added the rear subframe and rear diff poly bushings.

got my alignment today after giving the springs a few days to settle.

ended up with -0.5 f/ -0.8r camber, and 0.0 toe. not bad numbers considering ive lifted the car. i could dial in some more front camber if i wanted to buy camber bolts. but this is a winter setup, so im not going to bother.

the car still handles great. even with the higher center of mass, and more roll that comes with it, i at least got lift springs that were stiffer to help with that. its about the same stiffness as my drop springs that i just took off, only with more ground clearance and more bump travel. a lot of people just use 1" spacers to lift the car over their stock springs. while this is a cheaper solution, you get more roll, and no added bump travel.

also, while at the shop getting my alignment. i made a deal with the guys for a set of 15" Team Dynamics rally wheels and some snow tires. tires will be 215/65/15 General Altimax Arctics. they have good reviews and good bang/buck ratio. they are about 1" taller than stock tires too. so they will fill up the wheel well and give me about another 1/2 of lift at the same time.

bring on winter

That was mostly highway (85 ish) commuting. around town it was actually better than it was on the highway.

honestly, looking back, the STi was one of the least favorite (non-beater/winter) cars i've owned.

ive noticed that gas mileage on my WRX goes down significantly at above 60-65mph. increased drag + being in boost at higher speeds contribute to this. if i cruise at like 55-60 with cruise control on, i can avg 25-30 mpg. but its boring lol.

and i have a more "aerodynamic" model than B did. if i recall, you had an 04-05 STi right? those things are like a brick going down the highway in terms of aero efficiency lol.

yeah, 05. i hated the gearing on that car more than anything.

04-05 was the worst looking STi IMO. i didnt like "peanut" headlights. 08-13 STi is a much more polished car IMO. much nicer interior. while i love my hatchback, and its 1000x more practical, the sedan looks much better.

but subaru has really closed the gap between WRX and STi on the new models. they underrate the WRX at 265hp and still has the STi at 305hp. yet independent dyno testing puts the WRX and STi within about 5hp on average in terms of WHP. IMO the only thing worth having is the stronger 6-speed, brembos, and HID headlights. suspension differences are almost moot when most people will upgrade that with either car.

the added price for the STi from the factory almost doesnt seem worth it since the WRX and STi are so close HP and 0-60 times, until you factor in how much it costs to swap in a 6 speed and brembos.

but im ok. my trans should hold my power goals, and i wouldnt fit my 15" rally wheels over the brembos anyway :)

I like them better than the bug eyed years. And the lack of polish seems fitting with a car meant for rally. I know that doesn't translate well to DD use but neither does a huge turbo on another street car. I guess I looked at them more as a purpose built car than an everyday thing. Like my Camaro, I'd deal with some stuff in the name of speed/handling. And that's a big part of why I don't like the new ones save for the hatch. I much prefer it to the coupe/sedan where the front-end styling is nice but the rest is crap imo. Too "polished." Too cookie cutter. Apart from the spoiler it has no identity.

Yea that's a lot coin for a few hp. The rest is pretty nice though. Guess it depends on what your end goal is.

I'd kinda like to build a 2.5 RS. A friend of mine has a nice one but I don't think she's giving it up. :(

I had one of those too. 99 2.5 rs. neonMike drove it more than i did i think... I forget what happened but i gave him my car for a few weeks or something?? i forget why. it was around his wedding time..... anyway, I really ended up disliking that car too. But he loved it. It was too slow for my liking and felt WAY bigger than it was. I bought it in nov and sold it by april. served its purpose for the winter (while the m3 was hibernating) and moved on.

As promised.

EN4ph.jpg

I'll try to get better pics.

15x7 TD Pro Rally 1
215/65/15 General Altimax Arctic

Back