Rex's D16y8 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Got my camera charger back, yay! Here is the next item on the list besides studs.

YCP Vitara's - I am going to stay with the standard bore on this one.
FJT Custom Length Rods - I will have to notch the block but I don't have any problems with that. Eagle H-Beam Rods give too low compression ratio's so I am going with these designed specifically for the YCP/Suzuki Vitara's.
Eagles compression = 7.8:1 and FJT's are 8.8:1 I figured it will be better to stick around 9ish.

customlength_fjt_vitara.jpg

BTW, This is the Piston/Rod combo that Speed Factory used to gain they're 600+hp D16 sohc yet after pushing 30lbs of boost and running 10's they demolished one of the pistons some how. I am seriously thinking about the Golden Eagle Intake Manifold *used in both bisimoto's and speed factory's builds * and Methane Injection * used in bisi's 1st 702hp dyno D16 wagovan with 91 octane *in the future after installation as well. Should be running into some cash again in a few weeks so updates will come and probably a nice new eg hatch with income tax around the corner... I don't really want to plant this nice of a build into a car that is falling apart. I love the Rex but it's prime is over. :(

Very interested in your build as I'm possibly going to pursue a similar line w/my hatch. Might have a bit of a suggestion for you as well, now I know next to nothing about these engine platforms I'm a v8 rwd guy by all accounts. To get a bump in compression you could have the head shaved/milled a bit. Well we (as in the american v8 guys) can, and I figure an engine is an engine in the respect that its just an air pump, so in theory fwd engines should operate on similar if not the same principal. I know in my forced induction past w/camaros and mustangs we use cometic head gaskets, what kind is used in this type of set up? Another thing I was thinking relating to compression, wouldn't headgasket thickness come into play where compression is concerned as well? My apologies if these are simplistic questions to you guys, I have searched and not found these answers yet so I ask here.

OP this is a very interesting build for me, so please continue to update as you advance I'm subscribed.

Thanks for Subscribing Afro Samurai! All of that is true, the head gaskets used, shaving the head and Rod Length also. The Eagle Rods are too short and you would have to mill too much from the head to bump compression up enough and still be dependable. FJT's set the Vitara pistons flush and the bottom of the block must be cut out *decked* below each cylinder to make room for the rods. I think a normal 3-layer gasket will be used, I try to keep my gaskets, bearings and seals all OEM as possible but I will be using a Golden Eagle or Hondata Intake Gasket probably. No apologies needed for a good question! ^_^ I will actually need to do more research in this area before I choose the head gasket, Thanks.

Last edited:
use cometic HG with ARP studs and you will be mint..
also for the IM gasket use hondata...but id recommend getting longer studs because they like to strip the ends off when putting the nuts too tight..

Can do, I got the downpipe welded up *even though it looks like shit* it should work well. Still waiting on cash again, Women are dough sucking leaches among other things. lol Now that I have a little extra time and should have some extra money soon and the blizzard cleared up I should be starting to update again. Thnx

BAM! more updates coming... I am trying to find a set of fjt/vitara's and yet, no luck. I found the distributors website: fjdistributors.com yet everything is on back order and I don't want to pay for something when I might not recieve it as soon as I have planned. Anyways, as soon as I can find these then everything is going into the crx and I am straightening the body out. currently I am replacing the rear rotors and pads but there is a Nasty stripped caliper bolt that I have tried to take off about fifty times and even tried welding another bolt onto it and a wrench onto it but they just break off. I picked up some rust freeze and pb blaster so hopefully tomorrow I can get it out and replace everything with new. I will probably try and find a shell at a salvage that has not been molested with rust and swap everything from the crx to that later this year. but yeah, know where I can find these rare rods?

fuck those rods..go with some readily available..
and +1 on a new shell..

Lol, what would you suggest? FJT's are made specifically for the Vitara's and hit 600hp pretty easy and still hold in a sohc. I have been looking for forged but nothing seems to really jump out at me since the only epic builds I have seen in a sohc are vitara ones. I have the cash to get almost any combo of piston/rod but can't find the ones that seem to be putting out higher power levels. Frustrating I know... :(

well i doubt your ever goin to hit 600hp in that dseries..hell i doubt itll make over 350..so eagle h beam would work just fine..

well i doubt your ever goin to hit 600hp in that dseries..hell i doubt itll make over 350..so eagle h beam would work just fine..

Eagles lower compression to 7.8 in the y8. Low as fuck and I would never see near 600 with that setup or attitude. I am investing a ton of money into this build over a long period of time. It's not a B-series, but D's and F's can make just as much horsepower with less money so I am going for it. There are tons of D's laying around junk yards here so if I ever need a part for one I can pick it up on the cheap! ^_^ I am buying the best aftermarket parts available and not rushing things. I went ahead and used my piston/rod money to buy a new Xbox 360 Elite today and buying another LCD TV Monday so I can link up two of them and play MW2 with some friends online. Around the time Fransisco gets his stuff together I will be picking up a set going to finish up the build. It's taking a while but it will pay off in the long run.

no i wasnt trashing the D im just saying this is going to be a street driven car?
my friends all motor type-r ef was barely streetable with about 300hp..its not very comfortable lol
if it was gonna be a track car then hell yea go all out..but for a fast street car eagles will do wonders..
and when you get on mwf2 lemme know..my bro has it..i suck at that game but fuck it lol

a track car is the plan. I will keep it tuned down a little when driving on the street, if I do ever drive it on the street. lol I am probably the worst at modern warfare 2. I am still running around trying to knife people with the B button as if I were playing Halo 3 or something. I changed the buttons but it just confused me even more. XD My Gamer Tag is: RiceRacerRex and my friend I am sharing a DSL Link with is: Spartan Tuba. If a good enough Racing game would come out I would just play that but for now I get on Need for Speed Pro Street every once in a while. I will shit my pants if I hit over 250hp with my first dyno run btw. lol My Dad works at a machine shop so I am going to talk him into getting me some time on the rollers when it's all finally put together.

so basically i am new to all this and am going to start my D16y8 build as of right now i have a short ram intake and a aero turbine muffler. i am wanting more out of the motor what is the next step i should take

so basically i am new to all this and am going to start my D16y8 build as of right now i have a short ram intake and a aero turbine muffler. i am wanting more out of the motor what is the next step i should take

ROFL! XD Welcome to Honda Swap, Buy a Header, Cat-back Exhaust and then a cam and adjustable cam gear. Some light wheels under 17" if at all possible. :D

Yeah. Going to wait for the Fj's and order as soon as he gets a set or pre order as soon as I have the cash. Just picked up a Dial Caliper to deck the block and I've been spending alot of my cash on my friends lately so it may be a while but they have helped me out alot so it's only fair I help them and let them see some profit. :mellow: I am trying to find them a flat screen TV so I can have mine back. lol Playing MW2 with standard def on a messed up screen gets your ass kicked online.

I am running a little slow with the updates but I had originaly planned to be finished in around May, 2010 so I am not too upset about the progression. Here are a few pics I snapped a week or two ago. I am ashamed to post images of the downpipe now, my welds are hideous but they are strong.

4 Tha HaterZ:

DSC00085.jpg

It adds up to 15% more reaction time off the tree. j/k
DSC00088.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

Back