Toooo much Carbon Fiber...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Aisde from the repostness, is it just me, or is the only outside piece that isn't CF the hood?

and the fuel door.....headlight covers.... B)

I do tend to wonder if that's not just CF over existing sheet aluminum. To make the parts he did with the complexity and finish he has there, he'd need some serious money into autoclaves and molds...

s407ebfc8ea629.jpg

haha one of the guys in the thread had that pic on there

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Apr 15 2004, 10:22 AM
I do tend to wonder if that's not just CF over existing sheet aluminum. To make the parts he did with the complexity and finish he has there, he'd need some serious money into autoclaves and molds...

This picture seems to suggest that:

50829437.jpg

Go look at my buddy Princeton's Porsche 993... his is getting to look like that NSX, and he's not layering CF over existing sheet metal at all. He's replacing entire body sections with custom laid CF.

I'm not saying it's not out there, but you're not going to find parts that fit that well that are just "laid up." Molds, and expensive ones at that, are needed. Besides, the rear fender on an NSX doesn't stop at the door sill... and even still, where's the bolts holding that fender on inside that door sill? Don't tell me they used 3M Body Kit tape... ;)

Oh I wasn't trying to refute what you said- just pointing out that I know someone who did it the "right way".

:lol:

It really does look like he just laid it on top with some tape, doesn't it? That door jamb was the first thing that set off an alarm on my head.

Actually, what set it off for me was that he went through all that work but didn't do the headlights or gas door. I mean, come on... you gonna half ass something like that? Christ.

Back