Toooo much Carbon Fiber...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Apr 15 2004, 05:41 PM
Actually, what set it off for me was that he went through all that work but didn't do the headlights or gas door. I mean, come on... you gonna half ass something like that? Christ.

:werd:

The small pieces seem like they would be the first to go, not the last. Looks kinda cool, but I hope he dropped some weight for all that effort.

What would happen if that thing got in a wreck?

Originally posted by Havok@Apr 15 2004, 08:55 PM
What would happen if that thing got in a wreck?

well...that's the scary part.....

What whould happen.....???

IF it is real C/F, and it looks like it is, and if they did the job right, then they put more than 3-4 plies together and if it was prepreg, then they autoclaved it in a mold, and just polished the remaining resin to a shine, then it will be a proper C/F job, and if it got in an accident, then it will fair better than just sheetmetal. As in it will be better resilient to impacts than normal cars, and it can with stand the impact to greater applitudes than expected...but now for the draw backs......

C/F is not the best and greatest stuff to have...it is very dangerous for normal people to play with. First off, it has a tendancy to shatter, and splinter, and if the conditions are right, then it may burn.....and thats the problem....it depends on the resins and the cure time.....ever break a glass, and it shards...well, glass is made from sand, carbon fiber is also from sand, but it is just burned to a finer crisp...then processed and woven into fibers...hence it is just carbonized sand in a fiber form...still neat stuff....

Now the kicker is...if it burns and the material is in a shattered form, then all the nice resinated scrads of fiber decideds to disentagrate and they get back down to the carbonized dust.....and if you breath in that dust, then it is too late to get to the hospital...because...you will not live for too long after that. When a helicopter crashes and burn's...have you ever seen a professional firefight rush right up to try to save the occupants with out a mask or other protective equipment? No...because they know that a composite built aircraft burning will emit all kinds of dangerouse crap....

on the other hand...it will just crack and waste the owner a crap load of money to get it replaced.... :ph34r:

Like I said...I can't stand the shit, cause I work with it all day long.

I'm in love with that carbon kevlar lip. I'd get one of those if I were gonna get carbone fiber stuff put on my teg. That is a nice looking nsx though.

They load super fast for me- on any computer and any connection. Are you sure nothing's wrong on your end? The pictures are pretty large..

its not me, those pics arent that big. i think it was that site earlier, its goin a lot faster now. :shrug2:

Ah- Houston-Imports gets a LOT of traffic. They generally have 50-100 people on at all times, so I'm not surprised that it runs slow every now and then.

needs CF fuel door, hood(which is the most CF'ed piece on honda/acuras), and the CF mufflers. Id like to see how much the thing weighs b4 and after the CF install, and the price tag.

Back