vtec minime

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok soo we just tried to start the car and it wont kick...turns over but wont run...
we checked timing and it was 180 degrees out..fixed that and wen to start again still nothing...im stumped...maybe i have the plug wires on wrong??

isnt it 43
12 on the distributor(looking directly at it)
and cylinder is 4321

this being the front of the car!!!??

did you ever buy that manual?
i have the manual...we just tried a bunch of shit and ended up having to turn the dizzy towards the firewall alot....it runs but sounds like a subaru...could the timing be off??

yeah, I wasn't sure if you meant that it sounded like a subie when it idled or when you revved it, but if it sounds like that then you're timing is off a little.

hows it idling?
did you for whatever reason disconnect the exhaust?
yea it idles like a sube..and when i rev it sounds like a sube...the exhasut was disconnected but only the bottom piece of the header..we put it back on and tightened it...i think the timing might be off as you both said..this is just a pain in the ass

yea it idles like a sube..and when i rev it sounds like a sube...the exhasut was disconnected but only the bottom piece of the header..we put it back on and tightened it...i think the timing might be off as you both said..this is just a pain in the ass

It's a pain in the ass because some information you read on it gives the impression that it's a couple hour project and you'll be good to go in full rip mode when that 2 hours is up.

5 hours last night drained oil/coolant, Tore off B7 intake mani, Tore of Y8 head, new HG, put the head back on, torqued it, mounted new Y8 intake mani *had to grind off a bit of the Y8 intake mani, and had it fired. *given we ate dinner in the middle of it*

lol this has been a project for over a month..weve been doing it little by little...the last 2 weeks were all about the damn crank pulley bolt..we finally got everything done and now we need to redo the timing..its just bullshit..nothing ever goes right the first time..where are the three little marks located on the crank???and wheres the line located on the timing cover??pix would be awesome

The car has been in the garage for the past 3 weeks because of A) Wrong Vtec Solenoid week 1, B) Blown Headgasket Week 2, C) Finally got it all together but timing is off week 3.

It happens. Haynes manual should have pics of the timing marks, again you need to pickup one of those manuals if you haven't already.

The car has been in the garage for the past 3 weeks because of A) Wrong Vtec Solenoid week 1, B) Blown Headgasket Week 2, C) Finally got it all together but timing is off week 3.

It happens. Haynes manual should have pics of the timing marks, again you need to pickup one of those manuals if you haven't already.
anyone want to buy a 91 civic si???the motor is a piece of shit but if you drop in your own youll have a pretty nice car................i found the marks and did the timing and everything..we started the car and it runs pretty good,until you go to drive it..it bogs and wont move..the clutch is in perfect condition...im at a loss and i dont know what to do anymore...what the hell is causing this...and now i think the car has either a blown head gasket or the the block/head is warped...its blowing white smoke alot...and were running a little rich

nope not throwing any codes..were going to try adjusting the dizzy(ignition timing) ..but that wouldnt do anything abut the white smoke would it??

the only thing i could think is had a d16y5 head we were going to use soo we bought the headgasket for a y5..ended up not using the head becuase we got the z6..soo we used a y5 gasket with a z6 head...

If the car is currently running, shut it off right now and do not start it untill you got it fixed. Your headgasket is leaking coolant into your cylinders, and the white smoke is steam. I hope no coolant got under your pistons into the block and crankshaft

If the car is currently running, shut it off right now and do not start it untill you got it fixed. Your headgasket is leaking coolant into your cylinders, and the white smoke is steam. I hope no coolant got under your pistons into the block and crankshaft
ok soo i need to go buy a z6 headgasket and redo everything???

ok soo i need to go buy a z6 headgasket and redo everything???

Sadly, Yes... This is exactly what I just got through doing last sunday.

Z6/Y8 head gaskets are 3 layer metal headgaskets and can handle much higher strains, Your compression went from 9.2:1 to north of 10.5:1, You probably blew out that cork gasket like there was no tomorrow, buy a OEM honda gasket $31 from the dealership, A brand new torque wrench, or have yours calibrated, and a Haynes manual to know what sequence you need to torque the bolts in, again if you haven't bought a haynes already...

You can't just slap the headgasket on and tighten the head untill you say "That'll do" it has to be torqued in the right order, to the right specs, or it will fail again.

This probably just happened to you

Picture031.jpg

Picture032.jpg

Those are pics from my motor when I blew my cheaply made 3 layer gasket when we didn't have a working torque wrench. ran like Crap, smoked like hell, thats what happens when you toast the gasket.

damn that looks bad...theyre $31 from honda??

and i did follow the sequence and had the right torque specs...the gasket i had was 3 layers...

Last edited:
Back