vtec minime

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Then I guess you'll just have to make a call and see if they have any, you need them.

wow this car is a jke...we got everything back together..i put a mark on the timing belt and on the cam to see if it jumps any teeth..the damn thing jumped half the camgear..im lost...the car wont start,,,but hey the good thing is..this is the only issue left...just need to figure out a way to get the timing right

Set the crank and the cam both to TDC and just put the belt back on like you were installing a new one. Once you have the belt on turn the engine through a couple of revolutions and set the crank back to TDC. If the cam gear is still in the correct position then you're good to go.

Set the crank and the cam both to TDC and just put the belt back on like you were installing a new one. Once you have the belt on turn the engine through a couple of revolutions and set the crank back to TDC. If the cam gear is still in the correct position then you're good to go.
ive done this 5 times atleast.....the damn thing will not stay in one place...i got the z6 head.z6 gasket,z6 cam,z6 camgear.z6 timing belt...i need someone to help me in person..maybe im doing something wrong

You need to make sure there is no slack on the side of the belt that goes directly from the cam to the crank, and have all the slack on the tensioner side. Also don't go off the mark you made anymore because it will not line up if the belt moved.

you never said whether or not you found the second dowel pin... without it your head might slide around slightly despite the tightness of your torque, and it will especially move around potentially BEFORE you tightened the head bolts.

fyi i did a head gasket twice in two days (first time failed) and before the second time i did a lot of research... turns out honda recommends a different gasket and head bolts IF you have blown your gasket before. even the torque sequence was more 'cautious' or thorough than what my manual said. but, this was a d16a6. just saying this might be the case for your setup.

i feel for your frustration man... but if you are going to do this type of work on a car you have to learn how to do it correctly. all of your problems with timing belt, timing issues and blown head gasket are indications that you are rushing parts of the process.

i am also concerned that maybe you damaged the head when you tried to start the car with the timing out 180 degrees as you posted. dave holiday and others are trying to tell you over and over to read your manual and get the timing correct. this is so essential.

all in all... i really hope this car ends up running for you. we can all see that you are mechanically inclined and your effort should be rewarded. best wishes... :)

You need to make sure there is no slack on the side of the belt that goes directly from the cam to the crank, and have all the slack on the tensioner side. Also don't go off the mark you made anymore because it will not line up if the belt moved.
ok soo im going with th three marks on the crank..now i set those then loosen the tensioner...put the belt on with all the slack on the riht side of the motor(towards tensioner side...i then tighten the tensioner..roate the motor to the left(front of the car) soo the cam turns 3 teeth??
correct me if im wrong

you never said whether or not you found the second dowel pin... without it your head might slide around slightly despite the tightness of your torque, and it will especially move around potentially BEFORE you tightened the head bolts.

fyi i did a head gasket twice in two days (first time failed) and before the second time i did a lot of research... turns out honda recommends a different gasket and head bolts IF you have blown your gasket before. even the torque sequence was more 'cautious' or thorough than what my manual said. but, this was a d16a6. just saying this might be the case for your setup.

i feel for your frustration man... but if you are going to do this type of work on a car you have to learn how to do it correctly. all of your problems with timing belt, timing issues and blown head gasket are indications that you are rushing parts of the process.

i am also concerned that maybe you damaged the head when you tried to start the car with the timing out 180 degrees as you posted. dave holiday and others are trying to tell you over and over to read your manual and get the timing correct. this is so essential.

all in all... i really hope this car ends up running for you. we can all see that you are mechanically inclined and your effort should be rewarded. best wishes... :)
thanx for the help...ive been using the manual but it doesnt get me anywhere...i need shit explained to me directly..i dont learn buy reading out of a book..the head isnt damaged weve looked... just dont think im doing the timing correct thats all

There is acctually a TSB out on 88-95 Civic head gasket failures if you work at a location where you can look it up, I have a hard copy right here that I got just the other day. Reference number: 97-047, Models 1988-1995 Civic except Vtec, Date Sept. 29, 1997, Problem: Headgasket leaks oil externally or allows coolant into the combustion chambers, it has this whole long list of stuff to do in case yours has failed in the past and what part numbers too use.

ok soo im going with th three marks on the crank..now i set those then loosen the tensioner...put the belt on with all the slack on the riht side of the motor(towards tensioner side...i then tighten the tensioner..roate the motor to the left(front of the car) soo the cam turns 3 teeth??
correct me if im wrong

Pry the tensioner until it's all the way loose and then tighten the bolt back down so it can't move. Then put your belt on with all the slack on the right side.. so that the cam & crank are essentially locked together on the left side. Then loosen the bolt on the tensioner and let the spring pull most of the slack out of the belt. Retighten the tensioner and turn the engine 1 entire revolution until the crank is back at TDC again. Hopefully at this point your cam should also be at TDC indicating that you installed the belt correctly. If not start the process again until you can rotate the engine around and everything lines up correctly at TDC.

When you get to that point, to set the final tension on the belt, loosen the tensioner a little and turn the crank enough to make the cam gear move 2-3 teeth around (it's not very far at all). Then retighten your tensioner and you should be good to go. If you turn the crank too far with the tensioner loosened it will make the belt jump out of place.

awesome....thanx for the help..ill let you know how it goes

Holy crap. I hope the rest of the newbies reading this topic get one point. Find out what you're doing before you start the project. This should have taken three days, at the most.

Your head gasket will very likely blow again because you failed to keep your parts organized and sprayed the copper spray before you were ready.

You're supposed to use the TDC mark on the crank pulley, not the marks for the timing light. That's your first problem. Your second problem is that you're not putting proper tension on the timing belt, per the manual. Do the job correctly and the engine will run correctly.
ok soo i use the one line that is to the right of the three lines on the pulley??and then when i do ignition timing i use the middle of the three lines that are to the left of the single line?!?and i followed what you told me and i think it might actually work..now i just have to redo the crank pulley...
i appreciate everyones help..and im sry ive been a pain in the dick..thank you blanco,daveholiday and others...REP for you

When you take the crank pulley off, you should notice a small arrow pointing toward the crank. When you put the pulley and woodruff key in, make sure it's facing that arrow.

well weve done the timing over and over and over for about 3hrs..the damn thing will never stay on time....there is a problem somewhere...and we are really close to selling the car

EIT!!!ok soo i went outside and looked at it again..the timing didnt jump..the 2 marks on the cam are even with the head..and the notch on the crank is set at the mark on the timing cover...the car still wont start..the only problem is..i put a mark on the belt and a mark on the cam..in the same spot..when we turn the car over everytime the mark comes back on the timing belt it doesnt lineup with the mark on the cam...i dont know if thats a problem but the car still wont start...

anyone located in ct that knows how to do timing??wanna come to my house and help me out...
my brother is tired of this car soo hes selling it to me

Last edited:
The mark will not line up anymore after you turn the engine over that is normal...

The point of making a mark like that is for a reference when you are reassembling it. As long as the crank & cam are both lining up at TDC your timing should be correct.

Now I would make sure you have spark, fuel, and compression because one of those things is what is causing the car to not start guaranteed.

ok well there is compression and fuel...i dont know about the spark...i have the filter off the intake and whenever we turn the motor off we can hear a popping noise....maybe the plug wires are on wrong??i just dont know

Last edited:
man... i am at a loss. you need to start thinking about people you know who might know a mechanic... or tow the car to someone who can just get it figured out really. freak i'm in poland right now... no chance in helping sorry.

=)

don't give up!

well my brother just tossed me the keys...hes giving it to me for $500...soo i really need to get this figured out

well my brother just tossed me the keys...hes giving it to me for $500...soo i really need to get this figured out

Try taking off your dizzy and rotating it 180 degrees if you had the Dizzy off the car while you were working on the head, Causes a no start condition when 'everything looks right'

Back