1979 Accord CVCC in Beautiful Condition

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kristuphir

It occurs to me that there's nothing stopping me from just copying and pasting the ad! So here it is:

I have for sale my beautiful old Accord. When I bought it I had no idea how rare these first-generation Accords were, and I was going to use it as a cute commuter. However, I've since learned an awful lot about them, and realized that there are barely any out there - least of all in this great condition. I feel bad piling on the miles every day, when it only has 141,000 to begin with - my commute's long and this little gem deserves better treatment.

I get thumbs-up and comments from people all the time on this car. You just don't see them around anymore, and people want to stop and talk to you about the car. If you keep an eye out on Ebay or Craigslist for these cars, you'll find few if any.

Here is a list of parts that either I or the previous owner had rebuilt or replaced in the last two years, and it's a LONG one:

Rebuilt cylinder head (good compression on all 4 cylinders)

New carburetor

New distributor

New alternator

New battery and cables

New tires

New water pump

New radiator

New coolant hoses

New vaccuum hoses (all of them)

Rebuilt Hondamatic transmission (!)

New shocks

New carpets

New fuel pump

New heater core

Driver's seat reupholstered

In detail:

BODY: This car is very clean and absolutely free of rust, even on the underside. This is extremely unusual for these cars. It's been garaged in California all its life and there is no better treatment for a car than that. The paint is all original. As you can tell from the photos, it has a high gloss and is the shiniest old Honda I've seen in a very long time. The original owner had a pinstriper hand-stripe the car, and it looks good in that period way. As far as flaws, there are several parking lot dings and two unfortunate but small dents in the top of the rear hatch (see photos). Also, someone got a little carried away with a buffer the last time it was detailed and there are two quarter-sized spots where the paint was worn through, one on the hood and one behind the driver's rear wheel. The paint has been recently clayed, polished and waxed with high-quality products, and presents extraordinarily well.

The grilles, bumpers, and trim are straight and free of any pitting in the chrome. The black rubber is all there and looks good, with one bumper endcap exhibiting a bit of a parking lot scar (see photo). The lenses are all intact, clear, colorful, and free of pitting - they look brand new. The windows are clear and very pit-free for their age. The windshield has two small dings that have been filled.

MOTOR: This car has the 1800cc CVCC (Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion) motor, which was designed to pass California emissions without a catalytic converter. The car passed smog several months ago. The cylinder head has been rebuilt recently and the motor has strong compression. It revs smoothly and easily and is really pretty zippy. The car weighs under 2,000 pounds so it doesn't take much to get it going. As detailed in the list above, many of the motor accessories have been replaced. The motor does not seem to burn oil, although it seeps a little bit around the oil pan. The fluids have all been changed in the last week.

DRIVETRAIN: This car has the very '70s "Hondamatic" 2-speed "manual select automatic" gearbox. It's quite the novelty. It's a fresh transmission and shifts great. The front axles are in good shape with no clicking. The wheels are clean and straight down to the chrome trim rings.

INTERIOR/ELECTRICAL: The car has new carpeting and the PO had the driver's seat reupholstered, though unfortunately not in the original (and hard to find) pinstripe fabric. The passenger's seat is beginning to show a little wear but has no tears and is supportive and comfortable. The rest of the interior is faultless to my eye. The door panels are straight and clean, and the dash is free of cracks. The driver's side inside door latch doesn't open the door, because of a broken cable I think. I will include a new cable with the car.

Everything works in this car with the exception of the rear window washer, because of the aforementioned dents (although the pump does turn on when you hit the switch). The wipers, lights, radio, heater, fan, vents, shifter, switches, etc. all work flawlessly. Even the little service interval lights work, as do the clock and the digital gear indicator in the tachometer. All the instruments work accurately (there is an aftermarket, more accurate temperature gauge installed in place of the standard one in the dash). The A/C turns on and blows slightly cool, but not cold, and the compressor drive belt has begun to make noise and needs to be replaced. I think the car's been converted to R134 in the last few years, but I am not sure - I'm having trouble telling for sure from looking at the valves on the compressor. The alternator keeps the system charged as it should.

I am looking for $3400 or best offer. I am not much interested in shipping this car, but if you're not in CA and want to set everything up so all I have to do is watch them put it on the truck AFTER the car's paid for, that will work. If you'd like to fly in from out of town and drive it home, I would not hesitate to endorse the car's ability to do so. However, no guarantees or warranties, express or implied, are part of the sale.

I have the clear title in hand. Local bidders are welcome and encouraged to come and see/drive this car - it's in Glendale, CA during evenings and weekends and Canoga Park, CA during business hours. Evenings are OK - there's a parking garage down the street from me that is lit up blindingly bright at night, and would make the perfect place to go over the car in detail if it's gotten dark out.

I think that about covers it. Please feel free to ask me any questions or set up a time to come see the car. You can write me using the reply-to address above, or call me at 818-307-5168 - my name's Chris.

Photos below! Enjoy.

backseat.jpg

bumper_gash.jpg

dr_front.jpg

dr_rear.jpg

headliner.jpg

interior.jpg

lense.jpg

motor.jpg

nose.jpg

odo.jpg

http://www.kristuphir.net/hondamatic/panel.jpg[/img
[img]http://www.kristuphir.net/hondamatic/pass_front.jpg
pass_rear.jpg

roof_dents.jpg

roof.jpg

tire_flap.jpg

trunk.jpg

under.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, it's been a bit of a chore explaining to people how an Accord can be "rare," but I've not seen another like this except for one on Ebay a few months ago that was pretty nice but didn't seem to have quite as good paint on it as mine.

Still accepting offers on the car. There have been a few but I'm taking my time in consideration of each.

make sure you copy your CL post to a word document so you don't have to re-type it later if it doesn't sell. CL has a short expiration on ads.

bump for a nice car.

Yeah, it is a short expiration period. Not to worry, I do have it in a Word doc...it took me a good long time to write it up, there's no way I'm doing it agai! :)

All the good cars are on the west coast, sigh....

Seriously, there's not a thing stopping this car from making a long road trip...;)

Alternatively, if the right offer comes in, I'd be willing to bend on my shipping laziness a little bit. But for the money, I would think it would make more sense to fly and drive...

What a sexy beast. Well, not my color of choice.... but I spent almost that much for my '91 crx si (and it won't pass CA smog!).

Hey, I've got those center caps on my rims! The car I pulled them off of didn't look anywhere near this good.

Good luck with sale. Should have no probs. ^-^

Coolest car I have ever seen posted for sale here.
I love it, wish I could afford it.
Best of luck with the sale.
SOMEONE ON HERE BUY THIS CAR!!!

Seriously, there's not a thing stopping this car from making a long road trip...;)

Alternatively, if the right offer comes in, I'd be willing to bend on my shipping laziness a little bit. But for the money, I would think it would make more sense to fly and drive...

If you still have it come mid-July I might just consider that, I love older hondas but am active duty with the air force until then.

It sucks that Glendale is 2500 miles from me, I just cant see making that kind of a trip in a car I just bought.

To further support my statement about cars being cooler on the west coast...
eBay Motors: Honda : Civic (item 130120907678 end time Jun-09-07 22:51:50 PDT)

Last edited:
Back