2018 - year in review

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
It's about that time... Another year gone past and we're still here keeping this place alive. Traffic certainly is nothing like it used to be - but neither is the hobby. The car scene just isn't what it used to be.

In 2001 when i started this place after a few prior iterations of sites, the car scene was everywhere. Everyone 15 and older wanted a car. To drive. Freedom. Many of those 'kids' also wanted to express themselves, be different, or stand out in some way with their cars. Then F&F came out and the trends just spiraled out of long-grain control. It seemed like everyone had something done to their car - a stereo, a wing, a fart-can, or the horrid altezza tail lights. Regardless of how awful that was, kids were into cars.

Fast forward to 2018, kids don't care about cars, or forums. They uber, they get rides with their moms because it's now illegal in most states for 2 16 year olds to drive in the same car together. They social network. They.... do everything else but care about cars like we do/did.

Times are different and that is inevitable. It's nice to still be at least a little relevant in this world and I'm glad that we are able to still mostly cover all our costs month on month. I am glad that many of you come back every day to check out what's going on and just talk with your friends you met here, even if it isn't about cars or hondas at all. We all came here to learn, and we left with friendships - some that have spanned close to 18 years now. Without this place, I truly believe my life would have been much different in nearly every aspect I can think about. Life moves on - people change, hobbies alter, but relationships can continue on through all of it.

We lost 2 members this year - @Airjockie and @ripperbone. Both taken from us way too young. Perhaps we lost a few more that we will never know about.... people that perhaps didn't make friends outside of HS with anyone from here to let us know.

As 2018 comes to a close, I encourage you all to value the people around you. Call someone you lost touch with. Call your mom. volunteer. Meet new people. Say hi to people as you pass them in a store instead of ignoring their existence. Don't make a resolution. Change the way you live as a lifestyle change - not a temporary goal.

May 2019 bring you joy and betterment in every way possible. Keep the car scene alive. Bring a kid to a show, event, track. Get a neighbor to watch you tinker with their parent's permission. Expose others to what you love. You never know who's life you might be changing/saving just by having them search for a 10mm socket.

Love,
B

I dont post much but I have been on here almost every single day since 2005. I'm glad it's around. Happy New Year everyone!

Glad its around too! Happy New Year! Make it your mission to reach out and help those in need that cannot help you.

Well put Brian. I'm sure this site helped a lot more people than you will ever know, and not just with cars. I'm not sure what motivates you to keep this site up and running but i still come back every now and then to check up on things. Getting older and hearing about people you know dying all the time is an eye opener. It's crazy how much Death surrounds you the older you get. Both my parents died fairly young, Dad at 62 in 2012 and my mom who i never spoke too since i was like 16 died recently in 2018 at 66. Old high school friends have died, my wife's father died 2017, both my grand parents died in the past 5 years. The only real family i have left is my two sisters and I'm only 40.

Anyway, glad you still have this site up and running. Hope everyone had a great New Year.

Happy New Year!

Here is to building the next generation of gear heads.

49211048_10218234735756737_725614791715979264_o.jpg

We lost 2 members this year - @Airjockie and @ripperbone. Both taken from us way too young. Perhaps we lost a few more that we will never know about.... people that perhaps didn't make friends outside of HS with anyone from here to let us know.

I've been around for years but hardly ever post. I hate to head we lost these two people, I've been reading their post and replies for just as long.

edit: also...2003...wow.

I'm super late to this party, but Happy New Year to all, and thanks B, for giving us a place to gather all these years!

It's about that time... Another year gone past and we're still here keeping this place alive. Traffic certainly is nothing like it used to be - but neither is the hobby. The car scene just isn't what it used to be.

In 2001 when i started this place after a few prior iterations of sites, the car scene was everywhere. Everyone 15 and older wanted a car. To drive. Freedom. Many of those 'kids' also wanted to express themselves, be different, or stand out in some way with their cars. Then F&F came out and the trends just spiraled out of long-grain control. It seemed like everyone had something done to their car - a stereo, a wing, a fart-can, or the horrid altezza tail lights. Regardless of how awful that was, kids were into cars.

Fast forward to 2018, kids don't car about cars, or forums. They uber, they get rides with their moms because it's now illegal in most states for 2 16 year olds to drive in the same car together. They social network. They

Times are different and that is inevitable. It's nice to still be at least a little relevant in this world and I'm glad that we are able to still mostly cover all our costs month on month. I am glad that many of you come back every day to check out what's going on and just talk with your friends you met here, even if it isn't about cars or hondas at all. We all came here to learn, and we left with friendships - some that have spanned close to 18 years now. Without this place, I truly believe my life would have been much different in nearly every aspect I can think about. Life moves on - people change, hobbies alter, but relationships can continue on through all of it.

As 2018 comes to a close, I encourage you all to value the people around you. Call someone you lost touch with. Call your mom. volunteer. Meet new people. Say hi to people as you pass them in a store instead of ignoring their existence. Don't make a resolution. Change the way you live as a lifestyle change - not a temporary goal.

May 2019 bring you joy and betterment in every way possible. Keep the car scene alive. Bring a kid to a show, event, track. Get a neighbor to watch you tinker with their parent's permission. Expose others to what you love. You never know who's life you might be changing/saving just by having them search for a 10mm socket.

Love,
B

Glad most of us are still around. I just been out the scene since I had my first kid so there's that lol. Can't believe it's been about 13 years since I was really heavy into the scene.

Airjockie gone too? He was your buddy that worked on the Helicopters, right? If you don't mind me asking, what happened?

I, for one, am definitely glad this place is still around

Happy New Year!

Here is to building the next generation of gear heads.

49211048_10218234735756737_725614791715979264_o.jpg

I've dealt with these two clowns above on multiple occasions :p

Glad everyone seems to be doing fairly well.

Reactions: B16
Back