2nd job or roomate?

WWHSD?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

True. But then again I have my own problems.

I'm in college. I can't work for the next 3-4 weeks due to me having mono and the possibility of rupturing my spleen doing nearly anything besides the horizontal hustle. My loans are running out. I have 2000 to hold me over for the rest of the year, and I have 500 due this next month in bills. My mom needs more money or she goes on the street. (She's disabled). The prelude I wanted to get rid of needs a valve adjustment, seals, timing belt, brakes, and tons of other shit. My dad's pissed because I roamed on my cell phone that was under his business line, and now I have a 220 bill for that due tomorrow. Valentine's day is coming up. My credit card has only a 700 limit and is empty.

If and when I get healthy again I have a job to go to, I won't see a check for 6 weeks to date. This means, how am I going to avoid running out all my money in this 6 weeks and just surviving on the pay I get from a hopeful job(lowe's) for the next quarter.

Do you know what I'm going to do? Cut everything. No more buying. Gas, etc. I'm going to charge everyone from now on for rides. I'm going to walk everywhere, or make the gf drive. I'll charge the roomie's for my food that they always eat, and I'll make sure I sell my ipaq, possibly my mp3 players, and some of my stereo's back at my mom's house. I'm going to scrap what I built up just so I can make it right now. It sucks. I'll want to not do it. But it'll make it so I can avoid the creditors, and the debt typically associated with a student puting himself through college.

Take it from me Brian. In all seriousness; second, and worse yet, third jobs flat out fucking suck. I never had any fun at all with two/three jobs.

Find a roommate.

Quoted post[/post]]
My mom needs more money or she goes on the street. (She's disabled).

with all the taxes i'm paying for this shit, this is disturbing. there's gotta be something else she can get on... i'm sure you'v ebeen through it all, but look at it all again. talk to social secuirty people, or something. thats BS if they put a disbaled person on the street.

Valentine's day is coming up.

all this shit, and you're worried about v-day?

if your girl is going throw a fit cuz you didn't spend 100 bucks on gay flowers that die and chocholate that makes her fat, maybe you shoudl re-think your relationship.....

If and when I get healthy again I have a job to go to, I won't see a check for 6 weeks to date. This means, how am I going to avoid running out all my money in this 6 weeks and just surviving on the pay I get from a hopeful job(lowe's) for the next quarter.

i hear ya man.

i lived on $57 from march 15th (after spring break) to the end of the school year my fresh year. 2 months. 57 bucks. it sucked ass. i didn't do anything. i weighed 180 lbs. lol

I'm going to scrap what I built up just so I can make it right now.

i hear ya man. i got a ton of shit i'm going to be putting on ebay over the next few weeks. old laptops, computer parts, drives, i've even though about ebaying my whole coin collection. that would more than get me out of debt and pay off a good chunk of the sti...
but there goes my retirement...

Quoted post[/post]]
Take it from me Brian. In all seriousness; second, and worse yet, third jobs flat out fucking suck. I never had any fun at all with two/three jobs.

Find a roommate.

your roomate experience wasn't much better.... lol

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Find a roommate.

your roomate experience wasn't much better.... lol

what do you mean? I've never had a roommate, other than the dog jumping on my laptop which was entirely my fault anyway.

Having someone there to cut back the financial burdon will keep the stress off of you and gives you time to relax as well. Trust me, get a roommate, don't even consider a second job.

I'm much more relaxed working one full time job as opposed to 1 "fulltime" (which was more like a parttime anyway...) and 2 part times. God I fucking hate Ingram.

errr... anyway, go find a roommate. Hell how big is Steve's house? Go rent a room from him. :ph34r:

bobby? doesn't he still owe you money?

and i think renting is stupid.

if it turns out that i can't afford to live here, i'm going back home with mom and dad. sorry and pathetic as it may be, paying 750+ a month for nothing is pointless IMO.

same deal with renting a car. look at nick. he racked up 1k in rental fees that the ins comp/ is giving him shit about...
if he bought a beater for a G, he could probably turn it around for a g when he was done with it.

renting? long gone..

I think the problem here is that you want your cake and to eat it too.

Everyone is giving viable suggestions and you're turning your nose at them because thats simply not the lifestyle you want to live. Well shit, too bad if you don't have the money.

Steve hit the nail right on the head. Its not so much your income, but your spending patterns. You should have saved the money you made rather than buying TV's, stereo equipment, cars, car parts, rims, etc., and you would never have been in finnacial hotwater if you had savings.

Now start here;
Cut the bullshit of driving so much. There's music to listen to and rides to take? NOT WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY. Besides you're depreciating the car and jacking up the gas bill by driving so much, when its not neccesary. Tack onto this fact that usually when someone drives somewhere, if its not just a joyride, then they go and buy something even if it is a pack of smokes or the littlest thing it adds up.

Your food bill is ridiculous. Cut the shit, get good healthy food, eat right, be healthy and don't spend so damn much money eating out or whatever you're doing because grocceries certainly should not be that much. I eat a fuckton and they're no where near that much. A benefit to eating healthy food obviously is being healthier. Get healthy and then maybe you can take the risk of not having health insurance - some would advise otherwise but I go to the doctor so rarely that even if I go once or twice and have to pay full price for a visit and meds, its going to be less than paying an entire year. Call the visit $100 and the meds $100. If I go twice a year - I usually go zero to one time, but if I go twice, thats $400 a year. Screw the insurance, you have car insurance if you get hurt and break a bone in the car. You break a bone on the job, then have the company pay for it. Where the heck else are you going to hurt yourself?

Thats just for starters. The main idea here is stop living the "comfortable life" if its not within your means. Sell your high tech shit, quit paying all the DVDs, CDs, etc., etc., but its not a necessity.

Quoted post[/post]]
bobby? doesn't he still owe you money?

and i think renting is stupid.

if it turns out that i can't afford to live here, i'm going back home with mom and dad. sorry and pathetic as it may be, paying 750+ a month for nothing is pointless IMO.

same deal with renting a car. look at nick. he racked up 1k in rental fees that the ins comp/ is giving him shit about...
if he bought a beater for a G, he could probably turn it around for a g when he was done with it.

renting? long gone..

Not for rent, he owes me money for basically everything else I did for him though. He owes BDN rent money. I was still living with my parents when he came up here.

If you wanna move back in with your parents, I say go for it. It's up to you really. No shame in it though.

I think that's exagerated a little bit.

my "joy rides" are usually less than an hour, less than once a week. probably $5 in gas.
i get stir crazy. i need to be doing stuff sometimes, and when theres no one around or nothing to do, i'll go for a drive.

healthy food costs more than junk food. i don't know where you're shopping, but i wish there was a store like that here.

i dont eat breakfast. if i do, its a granola bar.
lunch is usually 5-10 bucks depending on where we go.
packing a lunch really isn't cheaper... after bread, mayo, meet, cheese, lettuce, and all taht crap, its 30 bucks anway... might as well get it fresh from somewhere else.
if theres one thing i hate, its soggy bread. 4 hours after a sandwhich is made, i just don't even want to eat the thing. i'm a snob.
and since i KNOW this about myself, i'm not going to pack something i'm going to despise to save 10 bucks a week.

and 40 bucks a month isn't going to solve anything...

i hear ya on the health INS.
i've had it for 3 years, and i've yet to see a doctor. my PCP hasn't even met me yet.
but, that one time i go snow boarding and bust my ass, i'm fucked.
or if i cut my finger off drying to build a dryer vent, i'm fucked.
so, i suck it up and pay for it.
at least it comes off pre-tax :=

i haven't bought a dvd in months. i can't even remember the last one i bought.
i haven't bought a CD in years... other than the planet of sound cd for 10 bucks which all went to charity anyway.

my tv was paid for by the selling of my hatch.

my home theatre is 2 or 3 years old... thats long been paid for.

i moved in here with 11k in my bank AFTER closing.

i still don't have curtains. can't afford 'em. i have an old balnket being held up by left over clsoet maid parts in my bedroom.

my house is 58 degreees right now.

i'm sitting in my room with no light on... just my laptop screen.

i sleep on a twin bed thats concave from being so old.

my spare set of sheets is from my sister's old bed before she got married 7 years ago.

you people who live at home just don't realize what it costs. not even just bills... its everything else.
towels, TP, forks, plates, glasses, dish soap... it goes on and on...
and it's not like i went hi-class. 98% of my house is walmart specials.
my coffee table and end table set, 20 bucks.
my 2 book shelves, 20 bucks each.
my desk, brought from home.
couches, 3 were free used junkers, 1 i bought from steve for a damn good price.
washer and dryer mom and dad bought me for x-mass.
table set, i went to bobs discount furniture and got their cheapest set that looked half way decent.
i buy economy 1000 sheet TP rolls that feel like sandpaper cuz its cheap.
i mostly eat ramen and i have a 20lb bag of rice that i'm half way through.

i'm not living extravagant. i think everyone has the wrong idea.....

but whatever... i dont know why it always comes down to being my "fault" for something i never even asked about in the first place....

whatever....

Quoted post[/post]]
If you wanna move back in with your parents, I say go for it. It's up to you really. No shame in it though.

that's an abolsute last resort.... and its not that easy when you own something. i'll have to put it on the market, etc etc... and i'll probably end up losing my shirt on it...

You can like 15mpg, it costs quite a bit to do an hour of driving a couple times a week when you don't have the money to do so - plus it usually leads to buying something.

I shop at ShopRite, Walmart, Sams Club, whereever has the best deal. It can be done for cheaper than you're doing and with healthy food. I do it week in and week out, and shop with my girlfriend up at her college at Walmart every weekend. She bought food for the two of us and then some to get her through the next couple weeks and the total bill was like $59. I had atleast $10 of my shit in there, apples, nuts, various other fruits, etc., etc. So she spent $49, cooked for two all weekend and prepared herself for the next week to two weeks.

I didnt feel like reading over everything but I think its pretty simple.

2nd job will only last 2-3 weeks before you'll start to wish you were dead or at least living with the rents again.

a Roommate as you know damnwell wont work out unless you get the 1 person in your state that youll get along with living wise. even then youll still have some weird issue and want to kill them.

you should do one thing.

sell the STI even if you take a loss. you'll pay off the loss fast. then buy a cheap beater that runs great like a mid 90s STOCK civic.

hate your car for 1 year till you have enough money to buy a nice used M3 or at least a nice downpayment on one.

the STI is really fucking you right now. Bottom line. its just a car you can do with out. cut your losses and move on.

look at doing some online second job?
tunnig?
swaps?
fun small side stuff at 200 a pop couple times a mounth is all you need to do

you'll consider selling your condo at a loss, and moving back in with your parents, but you scoff the idea of driving pizza in a 4 door Subaru with a big wing.

Are you serious, or just denying these because it comes from my keyboard ?

2nd job, do something fun that isn't stressful (deliver pizza, you drive around all day and with tips you can make $12/hr). Plus you have no time to spend money!

That's how I cleaered 17 grand in debt and put away 6 more to get out of the military last year, 2nd jobs are tops IMO

Yeah. If I was back home in Lake Stevens, where I knew people I was lucky where I could do manual labor, watch some kids, etc.

Maybe you can find some classifieds for odd jobs, and just make yourself a few hundred here and there. Up at college, we have those and I can't wait for 4 weeks to start doing all the odd shit old ladies want just a couple times a month to start getting out of this hole.

Quoted post[/post]]
welp, i'm a little over my head finanically.

im thinking about getting a 2nd job or a roomate to give me about 5-600 a month extra money to play with to help me get back on my feet and not live paycheck to paycheck.

once the sti payment is done in 4 more years, i'll have that extra 5-600 a month... but for now, i don't.

i don't really want a roomate, but i really don't want to work 60 hours a week.... well, i already do that now... so we;ll say 80 hours a week.
figure i can score a $10-12 /hr job pretty much anywhere like home depot or waiting tables or some shit a couple nights a week.

i dunno.

thoughts?

i would get a roomate and work a second job maybe weekend nights at ruby tuesday and pay the car off early P

why is everyone ranking on B...
doesn't seem too fair when he's asking for advise...

he can take it or leave it...

my first home owners class said the worst thing to do both for credit and monthly expenses is to go out and buy a new car right before you get a house...

hindsight is 20/20...
get rid of the STI
selling will net you a significant loss...
if it were totaled you lose nothing, especially if you have gap coverage and the like...
then you get the rental car from your insurance to shop for a cheapo car...

let me borrow the car for a bit...
fuck, just go visit NYC chick and park on the street...

2nd job will fucking kill you
roomates are so 5 years ago when you were still in college...

i mean, if you think these are your only 2 options then thats one thing, but consider them all...

totaling out the sti or having it stolen is insurance fraud. i'm not about to do that. nor do i want to get hurt in a wreck... or hurt someone else, and then deal with all my raised rates from crashing into a pole. its stupid to even consider. i do have gap insurance. but still, thats still going to net me 0. its worth what i owe. i might as well sell it to someone... why go through the process of trying to fraud?

i guess I don't understand why people would do this. makes no sense.

have 92civicb18b1 move in with you. Wasn't he looking for a reason to leave where he was? That would solve two problems. He would have a place to live, you would have extra cash. The downside is you might get pregnant. Hey its just a suggestion.

Back