89 Prelude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MichaelATN

Sorry Im new to the Honda world, and I got my hands on a 89 Honda Prelude Si. I am wondering what I need to do to make the B20a5 stronger without breaking the bank? i would like to get site urls so i can look around the menu.So much help is needed with my nOObness hehe.

Thanks again
Michael

Well my goal is to add more horsepower and torque without killing myself with debt lol so thats my goal, nothing to fancy just something to get the job done.

Well, give us an idea about what you can afford and what your mechanical abilities are (i.e. can you install parts or will you be having a shop do it?) and we will be able to give you suggestions from there...

Well I can always learn lol and my budget right now 500.00. So yeah thats it, I always wanted to learn and i can read up and learn by trial and error. But yeah thats the idea =D

So Intake, header, and exhaust, what brand is good? I heard of Injen, K&N, Skunk2Racing? and all that would be 500 bucks?

So Intake, header, and exhaust, what brand is good? I heard of Injen, K&N, Skunk2Racing? and all that would be 500 bucks?

Injen, AEM, K&N are all good if you want a name brand intake. Honestly you could probably get away with a cheapy intake. If you want some assurance, get a cheapo intake and upgrade to a K&N filter. You could look into getting a custom exhaust from an exhaust shop. I'd probably go with 2.25" piping and a straight-through muffler. That should free up some horses. With all of that you'd be pushing the $500 mark. Add a header and a tune-up and you're looking at more like a grand...

Lets see pics of your prelude!! everyone on hondaswap likes pictures!! lol

For some reason it won't let me edit anything on my profile so I would show you guys my prelude but it won't let me -_-... But I got it as a gift and I'm fixing the engine n what not... it won't pass smog and I am thinking it might be the O2 sensors, but I dunno...as soon as I am ABLE to edit my profile I will show pics...

Well if the b20a5 is so bad, whats the difference between that and the b21?

Well, honestly, neither of them are really ideal for tuning. They just don't take that well to modifications. Also, there's not much after-market support, and you can't swap parts onto them from the more common B-series engines (B16s, B18s, etc.) either, so no VTEC head swaps.

You can do a decent amount of modding to them, it's just not going to be quite as easy as it would be with a more common Honda engine...

Hmmm makes me think if I want to do anything to the engine then lol I guess I could go with a new header because mine is rusted, still intact, but rusted on the outside, so I need to get a new one anyways, but if a new one just go with a new exhaust as well. HMMM

Yeah I would just start with a basic intake, header, and exhaust. If you like the results of that, then you can get more into it...

I know this is a late response, but what was stated about Intake Header, and Exhaust is the only simple bolt ons that will give you back about 10-15hp.

For real power from the B20a5 you will need to boost it. But from what you have posted, its going to be more than you want to spend.

There is new aftermarket for the 3rd gens, but they are not cheap and definitely more than $500.00

Email me at: onefunrydperformance@q.com

For more details on the new aftermarket products and possibilities.

Sean

Back