94 Civic Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

surefit

Ok novice on honda/acura engines. I have a 94 civic vx hb and I'm wanting to swap a motor with more power but i still want it to be a dependable daily driver. Just give it some more ass. Wanting opinions from the board on what to swap it with....thinking of an acura ls or maybe gsr engine. Also any information on what all I will need to do. Will I also need to swap the tranny? Any information is appreciated. Also checked on an si engine but it is only 125hp. Thx in advance.

dont get the si engine (d16z6) you will not be that happy with it. Do you ever plan on going turbo in the future? If so get the ls engine, it is an easy engine to go turbo with and will cost less in the long run than a GSR turbo. If your planing on sticking NA, go with the GSR. How much money are you planning on spending on the swap and also what do you want out of it? (drag, autoX/road racing, daily driver, street racer (FnF is :ghey: ) ect.)

how much is the GSR swap? (including parts you might need to swap it in, like engine mounts, etc)

about 3 grand normally but always have a little extra saved up just incase something goes wrong/breaks. Also have a little money for fluids. Also replace the clutch, water pump and timing belt while you have the engine out of the veichle.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 2 2003, 10:45 PM
about 3 grand normally but always have a little extra saved up just incase something goes wrong/breaks. Also have a little money for fluids. Also replace the clutch, water pump and timing belt while you have the engine out of the veichle.

so 3500?

Originally posted by gupta_p+Feb 2 2003, 10:46 PM-->
asmallsol
@Feb 2 2003, 10:45 PM

so 3500?

yeah about 3500 - 4000 should be more than fine... you'll have extra money for lil bolt on's here and there.... you know, those little power adders that you cant really FEEL, but are worth it in the long run :D

yea that sounds like a pretty good gestimation. Also it depends if the swap your looking at includes shipping (normally does not) If shipping is not included, tack on another 3-500. No one said this sport was cheap.

Also most swaps do not include a header so consider that when planing.

Thx for the responses, pretty much what i was getting from reading the other posts, it seems the most consensus opinion is on the ls motor, especially if going turbo. Ok just a few more questions, I have a muscle car genius next door but he doesn't do much with foreign cars.....should i let him do the swap for me? Also what will I need for the swap....Is there a kit for installing the ls engine into the civic? Is there a particular year/model i should go for on the ls engine? Will I have to swap the tranny out also? The car will be driven as a daily driver sharing time with my Ram. I agree with replacing the clutch, water pump and t-belt.

also alot of people suggest replacing plugs and wires (use ngk plugs and OEM wires) As for year, easiest way to go is find an OBD1 engine. You can you a obdII engine but there are about 5 more steps to do, not a big deal but obdI is the easiest thing to do. Yea your hot rod body will laugh at how easy it is, let his experience work for you, it is not like a tractor dude working on a rocket engine, they are both 4 cycle engines, you know one, you know the other (kinda) No you cant uses your tranny, you have to buy a hydralic (sp?) b series tranny. Normally they always provide trannys with complete swap packages. You also need shift linkages, mounts from verious b series enigines (dont know the list off hand) or you can spend a little extra money and go for a non OEM mount kit (3-400) The Ls engine is a good beginners engine and if you ever want to go to turbo, it is a cheap, easy, and good engine to boost with. If you have any more questions ask away, i am sure i missed a few that you had (sorry i am tired)

Hi, I'm new, but anyways, I hear a lot of people looking into doing swaps. Seems like a popular thing now. Currently I have put in a typeR motor into my 94 civic 4dr. I had to have a tranny conversion too (used to be auto). I had no problems at all and it's my daily driven car. My choices would either go for the SiR B16a. GSR B18c1, or TypeR B18c5. I think the GSR would be a good choice. Cost still a bit pricey, but the power you get is kinda worth it... if you want or that if it's your choice... I think it costs around at least $5~$6K cdn$

---
~Jen
http://www.604civicclub.com

Ok thx for your comments sol.....Ok so to ask away if I was to add turbo what is a good cheap turbo (not too extreme remember daily driver) and about what could i expect to spend on the complete turbo build.

Greedy makes a good turbo kit,carb legal and not super powerful.B18C1 will run you around $3100 and work well enough with a turbo,while providing good power till you got one.

Back