97' Civic Dx Hb

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

opt1mo

Hi, I'm lookin' to put a b20b, h22a, or a b18c1 into my 97' civic dx hb and just curious what would be better. Also im lookin to go turbo vtec. Please give me any info you have.

Yeah, money is definitely an issue here. Any of those motors will produce good power, but for your situation, I think the B18c1 is your best bet. Don't completely take my word for it but I believe it bolts right up (check the ref. section). The H22a in that model civic (I have the same one) has a reputation for causing problems (i.e. the intake manifold bangs on the firewall under hard acceleration, stuff like that). The B20b I just don't know much about. Good luck!

Money is no problem. I'm just looking for what I would get the best performance out of. I wasn't planning on going with the h22a just a friend suggested it. I think I'll deff go with a b-series since there really are alot more parts available for it and I wanna get a dart block.

Actually, anything you do to B series, you can pretty much do to the H series. There is a just a different number of companies for that product (more B series) so it may ultimately be cheaper, but you're going to find the same products overall.

BTW, I dont know anythin about the Dart block so you can pretty much disregard what I said as far as that goes.

:withstupid:
the illusion of more parts for the B series is created by the amount of companies making shit ass parts
if you look at quality parts you will find about the same amount of parts available
H series parts will be a little more expensive, but not by too much

Certain models of the H22 have a closed deck and it would be great for running a turbo. atleast that's what I read somewhere.

if money is not an issue to you, go h22 turbo, then you'll have a monster on your hands. then with the extra "skrilla" you have, you can get suspension, cf hood and relocate battery to make your front end just a lil' lighter to compensate for the weight difference.

Originally posted by ekPhred@Mar 5 2003, 07:13 PM
if money is not an issue to you, go h22 turbo, then you'll have a monster on your hands. then with the extra "skrilla" you have, you can get suspension, cf hood and relocate battery to make your front end just a lil' lighter to compensate for the weight difference.

That's what I wanna do, minus the turbo. I want it all natural baby. :D

if you want a car for street racing and speed shifting, go for the ls/vtec or crv-tec... the linkage on the h22 is cable, not solid.. and tends to bind under high rpms.. (I learned the hard way on this)

if you want fun and POWER.. then go for the h22
I have a 96 hatch, w/17" rims. h22 and a/c.. I went from vegas to l.a. and all the way up and back I stayed in 5th, thru el cajon pass, thru everything.. even when I was passing that gs-r at 140mph!

all that talk about understeer, just make sure you have some wide ass tires in the front like 215/40/17s and you wont have any understeer problems.. maybe if you had some 185/65/14s you would

www.phatfukracing.com

I think your lying.
1. Maybe I'm wrong but I dont think H22's come with cable transmissions, what year is yours? If it is older than 94, then maybe, but then you'd be putting an OBD1 engine into an OBDII car, right? How does that work out, I dont think I've heard about that being done, just the other way around.
2. Just from what you listed (modifications), you will have heavy understeer when driven hard. What have you done to your suspension.
3. "Wide ass tires" arent going to correct understeer, period. Maybe help, but not correct.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I doubt I am. Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by preluderjs@Mar 7 2003, 07:44 PM
I think your lying.
1. Maybe I'm wrong but I dont think H22's come with cable transmissions, what year is yours? If it is older than 94, then maybe, but then you'd be putting an OBD1 engine into an OBDII car, right? How does that work out, I dont think I've heard about that being done, just the other way around.
2. Just from what you listed (modifications), you will have heavy understeer when driven hard. What have you done to your suspension.
3. "Wide ass tires" arent going to correct understeer, period. Maybe help, but not correct.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I doubt I am. Just my thoughts.

None of the h22's were cable that I know of. Peope do go from obd1 to obd2 if its legal in their state (and it is in more states than you know of).

17's are ghey and hurt your handling on a Honda. Not enough sidewall.

"Wide ass tires" Im sure but 215/40/17 are NOT wide. I had some on my s-dime. Those would not help your handling. Its not the tires that are the issue. Its the added weight of the motor and stock suspension that hurts you. Not tires. So what, your tires have a wider contaact patch, but you still need your car to NOT roll. You need that patch to stay connected.

So, I call your post :bs: .. Please, no more bullshit here.

Thats what I figured, I'm in cali so.... yea, I wouldnt know anything about OBD1 to OBDII conversions.

if you're really plannin' on goin' vtec & turbo. don't bother with a ls/vtec or a crvtec. go gsr/t and build it as much as your budget allows.

Back