ABS N00b question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Znypar

my civic 98 civic ex came without abs. (only option it doesn't have lol)

If / when I make my swap, is it possible to add ABS to the brakes system?

I would like to stop, I live where it snows and rains often.

ooooh harsh.
I know how to drive, it was only a sarcastic comment.

Is there anyone who would like to submit some constructive information?

you would have to fab ALOT of lines, change your axles so you have abs wheels. You would also have to change the rear brakes to have an abs wheel (not exactly sure where they are in the rear) You would have to add all the ABS sensors, buy the ABS module (which is 1300 from honda, or 300 if you want to buy mine) abs computer (lots from honda, or 50 if you want to buy mine) abs fues panel, and a bunch of other stuff.

and it would only be that easy if the car is already prewired for ABS (which I am not sure if civics are or are not.)

ooooh fun times! lol

i am going to replace my rear drums with the rear disk assembly off an integra anyways, but all that other stuff just doesn't seem worth the loss of power.

you're looking at a butt-load of work for something that I can't stand- letting a computer do my job. I will never own another car with abs. if it has it, i will disable it- just like i have my air bags.

ABS is a good thing on a daily driver... but don't try to install it yourself. It's a pain in the ass.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 30 2004, 01:57 AM
you're looking at a butt-load of work for something that I can't stand- letting a computer do my job. I will never own another car with abs. if it has it, i will disable it- just like i have my air bags.

So whats the reason you dont like air bags? I understand the ABS thing but air bags? :shrug2:

because they are known to come out at the most impromptue times and often cause further injury to the passengers and/or cost tons of money to replace once they've ejected

notice a lot of car makers are beginning to sell cars primarly WITH OUT abs, and it is an option. this is because there have been studys that have found that abs isnt all that great its supposed to be.

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Mar 30 2004, 05:30 PM
because they are known to come out at the most impromptue times and often cause further injury to the passengers and/or cost tons of money to replace once they've ejected

Yes, but they're generally better than not having them at all. You win most, you lose some. Which do you choose?

I was just watching speeed vision and they had a driveing professional on. He said flat out that abs and Traction Control are for those who don't know how to really drive or don't want to learn. I loved it.

But like every on said it is too much trouble if you feel safer with it up grade the car not the breaking system. Just the plumbing alone will break you. Then you need different booster master axels sensors etc... on and on yuck

Originally posted by Calesta+Mar 31 2004, 02:25 AM-->
Slammed90Lude
@Mar 30 2004, 05:30 PM

Yes, but they're generally better than not having them at all. You win most, you lose some. Which do you choose?

i'd rather take the chance, and trust myself not to crash into anything head on, then to have them go off on me cuz i tapped my bumper on a curb (and yes, that happens all the time).

more so, the $23123213 it takes to repair them, vs the $100 ebay bumper is worth it to me.

but more so, I've seen the accidents. I've seen the films.

Properly strapped in, and in an accident where unless you hit your head you will live (ie, the car didn't get crushed on you) i find air bags to just be in the way and make you loose control.

If i hit something at 100 mph, causing me to spin, i want to be able to hold the steering wheel and turn into the spin or whatever.
if i clip something and it sets off my air bag- not only am i blind, but both my arms have been blown off the steering wheel. and if i an't see going 100 mph sideways... and by the time im about to hit the REAL stopper- my air bag will be defalted. and now im tripplly screwed.
frankly, i'd rather risk hitting my head on the steering wheel then not having control of a moving car that im tied into.

Back