Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thanks for the pics man! Geez.

As far as your problem with your engine man... I've been thinking...Dangerous, I know.

Just drive it.

We've both wasted so much money on our stupid Honda's. You've spent, almost $6,000 on engines alone man. You realize thats about what dad has in the 351 in the ranger, right?
And you see the timeslip differences... I bet, all told on the money you've spent on parts in general on your CRX, you're well over $7,000 :eek:

You and I have done nothing but shoot ourselves in the feet since we've got our Honda's and what do we have? 15 second cars :confused:

15 seconds Andrew. They make mini vans that run that fast now.....

I'm all but out of the Honda game. After this last attempt on getting my car right, I'm done. I'll buy me a 5.0. Remember how much fun we had in that car?? Imagine how much fun you could have in one now, knowing how to drive. H-pipe and 3:55 gears. Thats the only mods it had.
I don't know about you, but I'm tiring of having to wait till 5,500 RPM for stuff to start happening. Maybe I'm just tried of things going wrong in general. We'd have more help from my dad, since he'd 100% guide us to gooey tire smoking funness if we went back to domestics :ph34r: I"m not saying sell your CRX, and I'm not selling my Integra... But somethings gotta give man.

I agree man.
I'm going to get Nivy running and play with that at the track for a little bit. Then I'll look for something else.

I did a lot of thinking last night, and will be frying my brain over the next few weeks on what I really want to do.

I think I'm going to pick up another shell and drop in my D16Z6. I'll be tearing it apart and putting that Cometic head gasket in there, so I always have the opportunity to Turbo it and get around 250hp out of it if I wanted to.

As far as the B16/CRX goes... If the Leak down tells me my rings are at fault, the motor will be coming out for a full rebuild. if thats the case, this is the plan so far.

Stock specs bottom end. I don't think I'll bore it out or anything, just hone and drop in new rings(unless of course my pistons are shot for any reason, in which case I'd look for something new.) ITR pistons don't do anything for me. They lower my compression a smidgen (like 0.2:1 or so), so theres no benefit there.

The head. If you see anything listed thats not worth it, or I should reconsider doing, please let me know.

-Vavles? Should I consider swapping out my valves? If nothing else, I'd probably want to get the valve seats re-ground.
- Unless the company I send the head out to has a good price on Porting and polishing, I don't see any reason why I can't bust out my dremel myself.
-Valve springs will be determined by which cam I get.
Are the ITR's any better than B16's?

Cams. Heres my options.

Integra XSi/SIR 1 (b16a1)
Int-230 dur. / 9.7mm lift
Exh-225 dur. / 8.9mm lift

Integra GS-R/SIR II (b16a2/a3)
Int-230 dur. / 10.6mm lift
Exh-227 dur. / 9.4mm lift

Integra Type-R(Through 1999 Spec)
Int-240 dur. / 11.5mm lift
Exh-235 dur. / 10.5mm lift
Valve Springs to be used: Stock B16A/GSR if using stock 8200 re-limit. Integra Type-R if using rev limit over 8200rpms. Mugen Valve Springs can also be used.
Description: These are great, reliable cams for the money. They will give good gains from midrange all the way until 8400rpms. These cams have stock idle characteristics.

Skunk2 Stage 1
Int-252 dur. / 11.5mm lift
Exh-249 dur. / 10.8mm lift
Valve Springs to be used: Stock B16A/GSR if using stock 8200 re-limit. Integra Type-R if using rev limit over 8200rpms. Skunk2 Valve Springs can also be used.
Description: These are very underrated cams. They do cost around $100-$200 more than the Type-R cams but they also offer much more duration and will give more power than the Type-R cams. Similar power range of Type-R cams but stronger throughout the power band. This is a great set of cams for a budget minded B16A owner. These cams have stock idle characteristics.

So I've got plenty of options. I can get my hands on Terrance's GS-R cams for a "brother-5-finger-discount" price. :)

Basically- Stock rebuild with "up'ed" cams and a little head work(valve job and/or PnP)

Thoughts?
-Andrew

As long as I can have your stock B16 cams, you can have my GSR's. God knows you've given me enough parts :p

Lemme mull over your build idea...

Almost done with Terrance's Harness.

DSCN9972.jpg

And I installed another great JayDM mod onto my CRX....

DSCN9971.jpg

The reason you have slow cars is you build N/A Hondas. Worthless.

I guess thats just it, man.

I think the D16 will end up with a turbo on it in another car, and the B16 will have a 75 wet shot on it.
Hopefully that will help me 'break the ice" of ... 14's... :roll:

Last edited:
Ive seen that sticker on the back window of a mustang that said "if you can read this your losing" My buddys S10 Beat that mustang the same day he got the sticker lol...

I guess thats just it, man.

I think the D16 will end up with a turbo on it in another car, and the B16 will have a 75 wet shot on it.
Hopefully that will help me 'break the ice" of ... 14's... :roll:

dump more money to make the car more unreliable and still be slow?:mellow:

Just do what i did. leave it as is till you know what you want. give yourself time to think about what you really want. I eventually sold all of my cars and it was the best thing for me. i got a nice pickup that gets me from point A-B. When i do have something built i can take my time with it.

You just need to stop trying to make car faster. Try to get it running first. Once you do that then look at your options, and putting nitrous on an already worn out B16 is no the best thing to do. i can see boostin the single cam but do you really want to spend another 3 or 4k on a motor that you already dumped gobs of money and still doesnt run right?

sell the b16, put the single cam back in and build something bigger. Start from scratch if you really want a honda engine.

And tell terrance to stop spending money on that 4 door. It will always be slow no matter how he looks at!:D get the gsr back to spec and make it look clean. My LSV spanked the same 4 door with a greddy turbo kit on it. Thats how heavy it is.

my rant is over:cool:

Last edited:
^^^^^
I agree with everything he said.. Even about my car always being slow!

Dude, after I spend this last lil bit on my ignition and dyno time, I'm done trying to make it faster.. Trust me.

Andrew, just get out of it while you can man. Take your losses and be happy with the experience/lessons you've learned.

Lets do this man:
-- Do a leakdown, find out exactly where you're losing compression.
-- Pull the head/send it off to make sure it's not warped/cracked.
-- Install a new gasket, maybe GSR cams for a lil more umph.
-- Drive it and be happy.

You can get away with the above for under $200.00 VERY easy.

I say the cams because you've got to remove the flippin things anyway, plus I have my old cams sitting in my TV room as a decoration ;)

Otherwise, I'd say keep everything stock.

Don't fret, Andrew made a bet!
now I've got to figure out a good story to follow that phrase...

I was talking about "after a rebuild"... Don't worry mang. I tend to blurt out what I'm thinking, but usually end up doing stuff TOTALLY different than originally planned.

Don't worry about it!

BTW I'm absolutely LOVING this weather. TEEN degree's at night- ftmfw.

DSCN9980.jpg

DSCN9979.jpg

Anyways... The other day I went to Pick n Pull and yanked about 5-7 lbs of bolts. most of which weregold! :) I'm going to redo my engine bay with all gold bolt's. Should look pretty snazzy.

I've got just as many gold nuts as well. Plus countless other bolts and stuff. I just went through and completely organized them into catagory's and organizer bins, so it's easy access for all of my 10, 12, and 14mm bolts and nuts, washers, special bolts/parts, etc etc.

Heres just a sample.
DSCN9977.jpg

Then I picked up a fairly clean DC dash. (LS 5-spd with around 120k on the ticker) That I'll test fit in my CRX. We'll see how she looks.

DSCN9985.jpg

DSCN9983.jpg

And I picked up dis SRT-4 FMIC. (*NOT from pick n pull.) I'ma see if it will work on my car just for giggles. I don't think it will, but it's was cheap so w/e. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try it out.

DSCN9982.jpg

DSCN9981.jpg

And... Thats it I guess.
-Andrew

Last edited:
Back