anyone here run?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
Even tho 80% of the members on this board are either fat bastards or skinny little sticks who do nothing but sit on their ass and do nothing"you know who you are!" I figured why not try and ask these questions here

Running Shoes. What brand/model do you guys like to use? I would like to know from people who have used different pairs of shoes and not just comment on "well I like my 2 year old nikes...." If you run a lot chances are you buy new shoes every few months.

I'm also looking for tips on running, breathing, pacing and so on I've been running 1 mile for alittle while now, every now and then I run 1.5 miles.

My goal is to have a max of 1.5 miles but speeding up my times I would like to pull off a 11:59 1.5 mile and have no problem doing it. right now I can run a 15 min 1.5 mile with no problems other then being short of breath, however I want like to be much faster.

Back to the shoe talk right now I have some Saucony running shoes I really like them but they are wearing out and it's time to replace them I had a pair of Asics back in the day and really liked them but no local stores seem to carry them anymore

Nikes I've had bad luck with falling apart NB... same thing but they always took care of me I've sent back 3 different pairs of shoes due to falling apart within a month or two of buying them. NB would replace them with the same if not better shoe at their cost they even covered shipping to and from!

anyways um yeah thats about it.

I have always heard that its good to breathe in through your nose and out of your mouth. :shrug2: It always seemed to help me with my P.E. Exams in school.

I have a pair of Nike Cross Trainers, and they are quite comforatable. Didn't have any problems with them falling apart, and I walked at least 10 miles a night for 1 1/2 years when I worked as a cart attendant for Super Target. I also recently bought a pair of Adidas running shoes, and they are super comfy and grip good when I run. Haven't had them long enough to say how reliable they are.

Hope this helps, I actually hate running, but have always had to do it for school. :thumbsdown:

I've been told in through the nose and out of the mouth same goes for when you're fighting or doing any kinda of breathing drills for Karate

however if Im running at a fast past 7 min mile or faster .... I can't breath in my nose and out my mouth I have to breath in and out of my mouth bah I hate that feeling

Hey jeffie7, I've used many different running shoes in the past, and my favorites are Asics and Nikes. I usually buy Nikes nowadays, because I cant find a better shoe for less money. I've never experienced the falling apart issue with Nikes like you have... Asics is still my favorite though.

I am a long distance runner/racewalker. I used to be pretty good at it...I have almost all the Junior American records in the USA. Right now I am thinking about getting back into it and training for the 2008 Olympics.

Nice to hear someone else runs.

Originally posted by MugenCRX@May 25 2004, 11:38 PM
I have always heard that its good to breathe in through your nose and out of your mouth. :shrug2: It always seemed to help me with my P.E. Exams in school.

This is a great idea if you don't have allergies like me.

My ex ran 6 miles at a time. She preferred the lightest shoe possible. She also suffered from some pretty sweet shin splints. *cough*Bitch deserved it.*cough* Off subject, sorry. There are a couple things that I myself would consider.

A lighter shoe may increase your time, either for a track meet or showing off. A heavier shoe with impact absorbtion(sp?) would be the best route. Running is hard on your back, knees, and shins. You work out, right? Your back and knees should be fine for now, but add some shin exercises in the mix. Running builds calves. Doing calves and not doing shins is comparable to doing chest and not doing back.

I prefer the elliptical runner at my workout place. I can run for 20 solid minutes now, with no back tightness or impact on my joints.

I like my one year old Nikes, LOL

i have been using my converse running shoes on and off for the past 2 years, and they are still holding up great!

Originally posted by tab@May 25 2004, 11:48 PM

My ex ran 6 miles at a time. She preferred the lightest shoe possible. She also suffered from some pretty sweet shin splints. *cough*Bitch deserved it.*cough* .

Running builds calves. Doing calves and not doing shins is comparable to doing chest and not doing back.

Nice one about the EX lol good shit =)

s40b425fb6b703.jpg

I had to post this "evil grin"

I would buy nike again but when they fell apart I e-mailed them on their website and NEVER got a reply.......

NB was GREAT about replacing shoes

anyways check out these

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/943044/c/16395.html35 bucks and free shipping! also only 12.3oz

might not be a bad shoe if it fits my foot right for a replace every 3 months shoe

Originally posted by jeffie7@May 25 2004, 11:19 PM
My goal is to have a max of 1.5 miles but speeding up my times I would like to pull off a 11:59 1.5 mile and have no problem doing it. right now I can run a 15 min 1.5 mile with no problems other then being short of breath, however I want like to be much faster.

damn i run 2 miles in 13mins. the shoes i like arent good for running; reebok classics, but they are comfy. my tecnique is run directly behind people and pace them; lean forward against wind if there is any, fuck water; it makes you more thirsty(do it before you run), breathing technique listed below(you can try just breathing through nose i guess; i do that during winter). aslo work on your stride; try to lengthen your stride without having to extend your leg far(reaching uses more energy). i dont know if this works for you but im a sprinter(55.8sec best 400m dash) and what you do is lean forward and avoid bring your legs past your body(when swinging them to the front).

Originally posted by K2e2vin+May 26 2004, 12:35 AM-->
@May 25 2004, 11:19 PM

damn i run 2 miles in 13mins. the shoes i like arent good for running; reebok classics, but they are comfy. my tecnique is run directly behind people and pace them; lean forward against wind if there is any, fuck water; it makes you more thirsty(do it before you run), breathing technique listed below(you can try just breathing through nose i guess; i do that during winter). aslo work on your stride; try to lengthen your stride without having to extend your leg far(reaching uses more energy). i dont know if this works for you but im a sprinter(55.8sec best 400m dash) and what you do is lean forward and avoid bring your legs past your body(when swinging them to the front).

I wanted to set a goal I thought was not out of reach if I can get down to a 13 min 2 miles I would be even more happy =)

Originally posted by K2e2vin@May 26 2004, 12:35 AM
damn i run 2 miles in 13mins.

that's moving pretty good. I'll be honest. Most people lie on the intardnet. When I was 17, I'd run a 1.2 mile in 6:30 sec. That's as fast as I get. I have much better wind now, but distance wasn't in the the stars for me. I get asthma symptoms on long runs. That is also getting better.

I ran 1.5 miles in 12 minutes a few years back, and that was easy.

All I care about is the six pack, looking good, and getting bishes.

:werd:

My old training routine transitioning from sprint to distance was a 3 mile run- I used to do it in 19 minutes flat, now it's more like 21. Oh well.

I've bought only Nike running shoes since I was in the 7th grade. I generally prefer the super cushy heavy ones for just walking around, but the super lightweight ones are what I wear when I go running. Well, when I used to go running. My joints suck too much now from basketball, football and track, so I stick to biking.

Right now I really like Nike's Kukini line. They're ridiculously light, not too expensive, and they have really good cushioning. The current version even has vents on the bottom and sides to evacuate sweat and water should you run through a puddle. This is the exact same one I have now:

83_1_b.JPG

Don't ask me what paradise-whatever is. It's not my picture. :p

You can see there's really not much to the shoe- but it has adequate cushioning for me, weighs only like 9 ounces per side, and doesn't have that much lateral support (I don't need it).

One of the things you might want to do is check to see how you pronate so you can buy shoes with the proper support. Pronation is how you roll your foot through a step. Over-pronation means you roll to the outside (heel to pinky toe), under-pronation means you roll to the inside (heel to ball of foot), and neutral (rare) means you just go straight through the center of your foot.

I'm mostly neutral with a slight bit of overpronation, so I usually just buy the lightest (and then cushiest) running shoe without worrying much about lateral support. Wet your feet and then walk across some paper towels to see how you pronate. You'll leave a footprint that shows which part of your foot you place your pressure on- inside = under, outside = over pronate.

Look at the running shoes you want to get and see where the support is. Learn how different manufacturers build their stuff. Most will tell you what kind of support each shoe is built for. It makes a difference, trust me.

If you're a heavy heel striker, go for tons of cushion. If not, go for light weight. Head to a shoe store and try on a zillion pairs of shoes- then ask them if you can run around the mall or something. I've never had a place tell me that I couldn't "test drive" a pair of running shoes. Take a lap around the mall so you can see if you have enough support and cushioning.

Then... if you don't like the shoe store's price, shop for your shoes online. You can get some killer deals at the shoe stores' sites along with eBay.

Hope this helps. :lol:

Originally posted by jeffie7@May 26 2004, 02:05 AM
Calesta thats a great write up thanks!

I need to go wet my feet now.... =)

:thumbsup: I'm not just a car encyclopedia, I'm a shoe salesman too! :lmao:

Now go pee on your feet! :lmao:

I sell Tennis shoes all day long, if your looking for heel comfort and badass cushion, go with a Reebok DMX technology. Reebok uses a softer rubber than most shoes so as far as durability, they might not be the best. But comfort is great.

Not sure on running shoes, but tennis shoes have 6 month warranty on the outer sole. You might look into the warranty issues before you buy them. Nike is the absolute worse company to deal with regarding Returns. They only offer 1 shoe out of 10 in the tennis line that offers a 6 month warrant, they won't even return 90% of the defects.

New Balance has great warranty as you have already observed, they make great shoes. Adidas has a crazy new shoe with a 20 megahurtz processor that takes readings and adjust the amount of cushioning. Adidas has awesome warranty as well.

Let me know if your interested in a particular shoe and I will most likely be able to order them at a better price than any on the net !!! Just PM me

I tried a pair of DMX running shoes when they first came out, and I can honestly say that I hated them. Maybe it's just the pair that I got, but two or three returns down the line, I still didn't have a comfortable set. The air pockets wore out in less than 3 weeks, and the rubber was so hard that I would start running and literally slide across the concrete. It was horrible. I'm sure they're different now.

I don't know about Nike's return policy- I've never had to use it. I usually wear through the tread at about the same time something comes apart on the uppers, and that's about 9 months to a year of abuse later.

I've heard about the new Adidas shoe- I'll have to go try those out!

Yeah, the new dmx technology is great !!! Its by far the most comfortable shoe based on our customers reviews.

I'm sure Nike devotes more time towards running/basketball type shoes because of the market, but my expercience in the tennis industry tells me that the majority of Nike shoes are for looks first and comfortability/support second.

I might have to check the new DMX out when it's time to buy running shoes again then.

I agree with you on Nike's primary goals... but they do still make a good selection of serious running shoes, and I prefer their Air cushion system over every other shoe cushion available on the market.

I use adidas shoes. They are by far the lightes shoes I have used. A good stiff sole gives some springiness to the shoe, and the entire upper is a mesh type fabric. There are also vents on the bottom to cool the sole down. Really frigging nice shoes, but there is a little too much arch support in them for my tastes. I usually run in excess of 3 miles, so I am not usually looking for nut-brreaking times; I am just trying to keep a constant step and rhymic breathing pattern. When you are breathing, try to time it, like Inhale 1..2..3 Exhale 1...2...3. Don't wait to inhale and exhale, just count how long it takes you to go through a breathing cycle. Not only does it help you to set your rhythm, but it also keeps your mind off of getting tired. At least it does for me. I always sprint the last short distance before I stop, to give my muscles more work at the end. Just make sure you cool down at the end.

Originally posted by tab+May 26 2004, 12:56 AM-->
@May 26 2004, 12:35 AM
damn i run 2 miles in 13mins.

that's moving pretty good. I'll be honest. Most people lie on the intardnet. When I was 17, I'd run a 1.2 mile in 6:30 sec. That's as fast as I get. I have much better wind now, but distance wasn't in the the stars for me. I get asthma symptoms on long runs. That is also getting better.

it might be because im still in school(been running two years b/c i flunked(spl?) gym due to attendance violation); we run for a grade; 2 miles in 15 minutes is a 100(8 laps) and we run 3 times a week. the fat kids get slack; 1 mile in 15 minutes for them is an A. if you think thats fast there is a guy that actually laps me; even though i can beat him in a sprint he keeps a steady pace. our school record for running in 15 minutes is about 2.5 miles in 15 minutes. btw we have a rubber track, which helps a little.

Heya, my wife works for Nike and is also a marathon runner/mentor for a large Los Angeles running club (LA Leggers). So i've picked up some wisdom .

- buy shoes from a bonafide running store if possible. The shoes are super important and will help prevent injury and running discomfort. The right running store will ask you to walk barefoot so they can see how your feet move, and then prescribe the right shoe.

- before my wife started working for Nike, she only wore Asics. Her other choice was New Balance. Both are serious runner/marathon shoes with a very loyal following.

- about nikes... yeah i have to agree that they are form over function to some degree. my wife wasn't thrilled about switching to nike at first, but in the last year they have made more conservative shoes (less chrome and gold colors), that are lighter and more suitable for running.

- run with a group or with pals if you can. apparently it helps you stick with it. :)

Hope that helps!

Back