B16 to replace a B18A1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kracer427

My buddy just blew his engine tonite in his DA, he's only had the car a week so it makes any car guy's heart sink. Buy anyway....what does it take to get a B16A1 in there? Is it a straight forward swap, plug and play deal with the exception of wiring for VTEC? Just trying to see what we're up against and we can get a full swap for around $1100 so it's cheaper than building a LS/VTEC. The old B18 axles will work with the B16 tranny right? Thanks for your help, hopefully we can make this tragedy turn out a little less depressing :bawling:

i dont know abuot the axles, but its a direct bolt in, just like you thought, minus the wiring for vtec. its as straightforward as it gets.

just make sure you have the right motor. OBD-0 for 90-91 OBD-1 for 92-93

Yeah the b16 tranny will work with the DA axels, just use the b18 half shaft just to make sure everything fits perfectly. Other than that it should all be good.

why not use your existing tranny and just get a long block and comp?check these guys out!! http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000se...0Engines&hit=20
long block that hoe with a b20 for under a grand and use your existing comp and harness ,if you have questions on what all is involved ask me. its easier than messing with a b16 and you have more displacement, later he can save up some doe for a gsr head and youll wax any stock b16 swap in that car. matter a fact my homeboy did this same thing but he just got the b20 long block and he was smoking the 94lsvtec i built.. MAKE SURE ITS A B20B or a B20Z. NOT THE OLD LUDE MOTOR

Originally posted by SpodaB1@May 13 2004, 05:34 PM
im kinda diggin the B20... Im doin it now

im not sure if you mean you have it or your in the process of installing it...but either one. you love it, or will love it

Originally posted by 88bluehf+May 13 2004, 06:45 PM-->
@May 13 2004, 05:34 PM
im kinda diggin the B20... Im doin it now

im not sure if you mean you have it or your in the process of installing it...but either one. you love it, or will love it

I just realized my previous post didnt make sense...

Im going to end up doing the B20 for my CRX. At a very Later Date however...

Originally posted by 88bluehf@May 13 2004, 06:32 PM
why not use your existing tranny

:slap:

LS tranny is one of the worst ever made. stupid long gear ratios suck, you will be sooo happy with a B16 tranny it wont even be funny.

everyone who has an LS knows how much it sucks. i have yet to find a straight stretch of road long enough to top out 4th gear, much less 5th, its re-damn-diculous.

I say b16, then if you want to update to the b20 later down the road you already have the head and tranny for a sweet b20 VTEC. Oh and if anyone wants to bitch about the b16 not having enough torque to pull a DA integra, let me put it this way. Most DA Integras are the same weight if not lighter than the 99-00 civic SI. Plus the JDM 90-93 integras came with b16s in them. :)

#1 that ls tranny doesnt suck that bad. secondly i believe the main issue is this guys friend is on a budget..you can always get a head and tranny later. personally id rather have the b16 tranny over the ls if i was doing the build on this car. but he needs a motor. not a swap. plus with the right power the ls is great..less shifting

The integra came with 4 transmission

A1, S1, YS1 and Y1 these did not have the same gearing. YS1 is what most everyone refers being the suck tranny. Its geared for Economy, and is good for turbos.

A JDM s1 and J1 are short geared.

Originally posted by SpodaB1@May 13 2004, 07:55 PM

A1, S1, YS1 and Y1 these did not have the same gearing. YS1 is what most everyone refers being the suck tranny. Its geared for Economy, and is good for turbos.

thank you

Originally posted by 88bluehf+May 13 2004, 08:58 PM-->
@May 13 2004, 07:55 PM

thank you

not sure wether youre being a smart ass or not...

Originally posted by SpodaB1+May 13 2004, 07:58 PM-->
Originally posted by 88bluehf@May 13 2004, 08:58 PM
SpodaB1
@May 13 2004, 07:55 PM

thank you

not sure wether youre being a smart ass or not...

not at all bro ...just saying thanks for further clarifying my point :D

Originally posted by SpodaB1@May 13 2004, 08:01 PM
I used a USDM Integra S1 out of a GS integra for my auto to manual swap... still waiting on the cash to finish it.

my buddy wants me to do that to his rex....you have to move the passenger tranny mount right?

not sure on CRX's or HB's but on my teg all I have to do is shim the passengers side mount. click the link titled auto-manual in my sig...

on the contrary... i have a ys1 tranny... and i like it very much... the gearing is longer than the s1 i think... at least from what i've read... i don't know personally... now that i'm running a different ECU, and vtec kicks in a little earlier... i'm able to stay in it, even if i tach out at 8k... before, because of a slight rubbage problem from my short shifter (whole different story) it was a pain to try to keep it there... with the j-spec ecu, vtec was about 500 rpm later than it is now.

so, i don't think the ys1 sucks at all... :p

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy+May 13 2004, 08:13 PM-->
@May 13 2004, 06:32 PM
why not use your existing tranny

:slap:

LS tranny is one of the worst ever made. stupid long gear ratios suck, you will be sooo happy with a B16 tranny it wont even be funny.

everyone who has an LS knows how much it sucks. i have yet to find a straight stretch of road long enough to top out 4th gear, much less 5th, its re-damn-diculous.

thats funny i have an LS it tops out at 110 on 4th

you never been to 110?? ... its not the fastests with its lon g gears but id rather drive the LS than ride at 5000 rpms on the freeway in 5th gear

The YS1 doesnt suck it just has long gearing for more eco use. I wouldnt mind it, Im sure my friend ef9civicgen4 wouldnt mind it since gas is $2 a gallon now...

Back