B16's Time Trial Road Racing Del Sol Overhaul Thread!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Agreed, it almost feels like it is not pushing in far enough.

Ya mean the pedal movement sux? Not enough travel? That could be either end of the equation. If shit's jammed up inside the tranny bell - but, you already know that. I guess you could adjust it and see if the slave can push the arm farther then you'll now if it's binding up inside the bell.

I'm beginning to suspect the loose bolt condition may have hosed something up. When I put mine together a buddy was helping me. He has a clue and has done a few engines and clutches and such. Anyway, he put the clutch and throwout together and pilot shaft guide for the disc and pressure plate interface.

We were both wondering if the SOB would work as it's kinda small and cheesy compared to the Detroit iron we were both used to. Ended up it worked fine. I'm sayin, it wasn't easy to know if the phuker was right or not when we assembled it. I guess after a couple of them I would develop a feel for the Honda's - don't know. Did the same with the engine. Bought it used and had it delivered to the machine shop. They did the whole teardown and machine work, then I picked up a block, crank, and a couple of boxes of other parts, and a new gasket set. Then took the Tinker Toy set home, mounted the block to the engine stand and built the MF. :) Handn't done a Honda since ~1994 and never a DOHC ZC.

Hydraulic clutches can be a PITA when there's a problem. Years ago me pappy had a 1960 Ford F-100 with a hydraulic controlled clutch. Had a few battles with that MF getting it correctly setup for bleed and final adjustment.

You'll figure it out Mike.

Last edited:
With a weak slave in the past I would put a nut between the fork and slave pin. That would atleast let you know if or not that was the issue.

Axles all the way in?

I had a similar problem and thought it was my slave, and clutch. It ended up being the stupid axle not being all the way in because of the tension clip.

Ya mean the pedal movement sux? Not enough travel? That could be either end of the equation. If shit's jammed up inside the tranny bell - but, you already know that. I guess you could adjust it and see if the slave can push the arm farther then you'll now if it's binding up inside the bell.

I'm beginning to suspect the loose bolt condition may have hosed something up. When I put mine together a buddy was helping me. He has a clue and has done a few engines and clutches and such. Ayway he put the clutch and throwout together and pilot shaft guide for the disc and pressure plate interface.

We were both wondering if the SOB would work as it's kinda small and cheesy compared to the Detroit iron we were both used to. Ended up it worked fine. I'm sayin, it wasn't easy to know if the phuker was right or not when we assembled it. I guess after a couple of them I would develop a feel for the Honda's - don't know. Did the same with the engine. Bought it used and had it delivered to the machine shop. They did the whole teardown and machine work, then I picked up a block, crank, and a couple of boxes of other parts, and a new gasket set. Then took the Tinker Toy set home, mounted the block to the engine stand and built the MF. :) Handn't done a Honda since ~1994 and never a DOHC ZC.

Hydraulic clutches can be a PITA when there's a problem. Years ago me pappy had a 1960 Ford F-100 with a hydraulic controlled clutch. Had a few battles with that MF getting it correctly setup for bleed and final adjustment.

You'll figure it out Mike.
Pedal travel is not binding. Pressure feedback seems a little light, and late in the travel. Again it has been since August that I drove this car so hard to remember what it felt like before.

With a weak slave in the past I would put a nut between the fork and slave pin. That would atleast let you know if or not that was the issue.
This is a good idea, I'm going to try this.

Axles all the way in?

I had a similar problem and thought it was my slave, and clutch. It ended up being the stupid axle not being all the way in because of the tension clip.
Thanks, I'll double check.

That's what she said...
:eek:

Seems my slave is traveling 0.5" when the pedal is depressed. Is this normal? I don't have any other hondas to compare to.

im having a really hard time finding the actual spec
ive looked all through the Helms manual and i cant locate it

i have seen 16mm (.629in) and .700in (17.78mm) mentioned on some sites
but i cant verify them

ill try to get someone to help me measure the throw on my sol and see what i come up with
working right now... but ill try to get someone to help me check it out this week

Thanks man. I also checked my helms and does not have the spec. Has good info on actual pedal travel, but not the slave. :\

I know I have seen that spec in my 90/91 Civic Honda book. I just moved so I'm not sure exactly where it is right now. When I go home i'll look around.

Bleh, that's what I get for not going back a page. Makes an ass out of me and.. me?

^ I was just gessin man - still learning these models myself. Ain't no shame in trying to help. :)

Whats going on? Fix that beast yet?

I finished comp school so Im starting to get into things heavier.....wanting blue suspension lol...

Boooo evo, sure it will be fun and something new but everyone is always going to bitch about how its AWD and easy to drive. Always fun beating the big boys in a FWD Honda.

nooooo I just saw your post on h-t.

if you have a hard time selling, let me know if youre interested in parting JRZs maybe down the road.

Will do. I assume I will have some difficulty selling. If thats the case I'll part her out.

Back