B18a Crx Mid-swap Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Phre0n

Hey everyone, Im sure youve been asked this plenty of times before, but...
Im putting a 91' B18A into my 91' Crx Si ...
I have the Full motor, tranny, all bolt ons, ECU, Integra Axles and Linkage,and my si harness...
Now, I have had this motor for 3 months... When I got into it, I didnt do my damn research, and, from the idiots I talked to, I thought that it would 'Just drop In', haha!
Anyways, I FINALLY got the $ today to go out and get the mounts I need...
I have the LS linkage, So i can cut that myself and that will be taken care of...
So, I do still have a feq un-answered questions left, and I need to figure em out...
One, The MAP sensor ( firewall mounted )... Do I use the stock SI map sensor? Will the engine run poorly/oddly ? Err, will it affect it at all? If so, what do I do? I basically want this motor to run smoooth, because this IS my everyday driver ( and yes, Ive been out of a car for 3 months, lol ) and im fresh out of $...
So, If anyone knows about the whole MAP sensor thing, that would help alot...
The other thing is, I was told to take the spacers off of the Axles... What spacers?? Lol
I even had a friend online circle where they were in a picture of an axle, I looked.... Dont see anything I can pop off...
And Anooooottthhheeerrr thing.... The LS motor... I noticed that there were a few thin steel lines mounted on top of the intake manifold, and I cant seem to find where they go... Anyone got any input on that?
Oh, and..... ( lol ) What throttle cable do i need? I heard that the Stock SI one wont work...
Oooooh, and another thing.... When you are looking at the motor from the front of the car, the left side of the head, there are 3 ( maybe 4, but i think it is 3 ) sensors... Anyone know what sensor goes in the back of that group? in back, i mean, closest to the firewall on that side of the head ( transmission side ), And... One of them looks like a small something-or-other for fluid ( radiator maybe? ) whats that??
And another thing... On the back side of the top of the Tranny ( the top, but back by the firewall ) there is the little thing where the speedometer sensor plugs into, well, right next to that there are 2 or 3 very small hoses ( they appear to have been cut ) do i need those, or should I plug them??
Blah... I guess that is it for now...
Sorry for all the friggin questions, I just need to drive, and Ive asked these all over the net, no one seems to know....
Thanks alot everyone
Peace
P.s.- Feel free to slap the sh*t outta me for question after question... Its cool, I'd be frustrated too, lol

the map sensors r def. diferent i used the si one on my car 91 hatch 92 b18 it will run but super lean.

the hoses on the tranny r for tranny cooler on the teg if there is enough there just bridge one to the other

as for the spacer i think everyone is talking about the grease (bearing) seal thats a bad idea find knuckles off a 90-93 teg shouldnt be that much plus u get bigger brakes.

hope this helps

We are currently doing a B20 in a Civic DX which is the exact same as a B18a or b as far as outer demensions and sensors go. You just use the intake, Throttle body and header from a B18A. The only other difference between the two is internal's. Which means more torque and more horsepower when you decide to do a Vtec head swap....but thats for later..... ;)

Anyways, as far as the map sensor is concerned: I am taking it that you are using the B18 obd0 ECU? If so then just go to the junk yard and get the map sensor off a 91 Teg. That should eleviate any problems.

Oh by the way you will be using your si motor harness....its the easiest. The plugs your referring to is the plugs on the passenger side of the car pointing toward the tranney. Those are Temp guage and I think engine temp....The 02 is in there along with your reverse lights for the tranney. What I did sinse I am using a header is that I unwrapped the o2 sensor and moved it to the back. Most headers move the o2 to the back. The sensors 0n the back side of the motor is for the oil light the fan cut on. I like my fan to run constantly so I just soldered the fan wires together. This keeps the fan running all of the time.

The tubes on top of the intake are really not necessary. You can chunk those. You also dont need the plunger looking seloid that connects to the throttle linkage unless you keep A/C. You also dont need the vaccum selenoid next to it that connects to the intake. I think that everything esle is pretty much self explanitory.

Just freindly advise....if you have not put the motor in yet, I reccomend to cut off the front mount and disreguard it....if you use motor mounts with poly urethane bushings then you dont need it. Also remove the front cross member. This makes installation a bit easier. Also take a SawZall or cutting tool to remove the lip on the Rear Cross member. This allows the motor to move around a bit easier and also allows it to almost fall into place.

As for the Axles....I have never removed anything from them but Farmer is correct on the Knuckles. However if push comes to shove you can just use 91 teg axles and sometimes people use the 89 Axles. The may however click a little. But remember that hybrid axles are the best for long term on the OBD0 cars.

I hope that this helps you and keeps things from binding up on you.

If you need anything then just drop me a line. I am more than happy to assist. Always in the mood to save someone a little dough.

Just be careful of what you listen to on this site. I have seen some pretty bogus advise given on here. So be careful.

Good luck.

Hey...
As for the MAP sensor, I am using the stock si sensor... I have the 91 LS Sensor, but the plugs on the sensor and the plugs on the SI harness do not match up... So I dont know what to do...
That is what I am really stuck on...
If you have any Idea on how to get that to work right, Please tell me... Thanks
Also, If worse comes to worse, Would an APEX'i AFC ( Air Fuel Controller ) work to make it run right?

As for the Axles, What are Hybrid axles? I havent heard of them...
And, I can use the stock LS axles and they will work, just not as good as Hybrid ones?
I will be taking a trip to Arizona ( I am in California ) in a few weeks, and I dont want to snap an axle or anything, lol.... So , Please tell me if ya know...
Thanks again

If you have apexi afc or vafc then you can make it up if there is any difference. I am using the stock one off the car and it runs fine without an afc. You dont have to use the LS, its just nice to keep it all LS, if you know what I mean.

Hybrid Axles are axles like 91 integra inners and maybe Si outers. Or what ever works. There are companies out there that make these. However they are pricey. What I did is I went and got the suspension and everything from an integra and put it under the car. That increased the brake size along with keeping everything uniform. However you can just go with what you have and you should be ok.

I will double check on the axles tonight and get back with you on the correct ones to use. I am almost sure its the 91 integra ones you want.

Ok, Thanks alot...
Also, I've got another question...
Am I supposed to have Extra Connectors on the SI harness ( Ones that I cant seem to find a place to plug-in ) and, are there supposed to be things on the motor that dont have a plug on the harness for them?? ie- there is something mounted on the back of the intake manifold ( just to the side of the throttle body ) it is a roundish shape, about 1" thick and about 3" long, Im not sure exactly what it is, but it has a little plug on it, and there is no spot on the harness for it ( that i can find )....
Anyways.... If anyone can help with this too, that would be great... lol
thanks alot everyone
Peace

for your axles you need to use 86-89 integra axles with 90-93 integra inner joints. If the 90-93 Integra intermediate shaft is used some people opt to use 90-93 Integra axles. changing the outer joints to that of an 96-89 integra will probably work best. hope this helps......

Back