B18A CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StealthMode

Kung Foolin'
Ok, so after my car sells, I am going to buy an LS motor and build that while I shop for a CRX. I have until March-ish to look for the car, so I'm not in too big of a rush. In the meantime, I will be putting my swap together. I have a motor lined up, but it needs a tranny. I'm wondering if I should get a LS tranny, or should I go with a B16? I want to keep all the low-end power possible, but it seems that the B16 would have more acceleration. Would it fuck me over in the end? What is the best choice? I don't really feel like converting to hydro, so I'd rather keep the cable tranny.

:werd: The only bad thing about the b16 trans is short gearing (if you do a lot of highway driving) but other than that it is good, quick acceleration.

Originally posted by Callidus@Aug 2 2005, 10:51 PM
Ok, so after my car sells, I am going to buy an LS motor and build that while I shop for a CRX. I have until March-ish to look for the car, so I'm not in too big of a rush. In the meantime, I will be putting my swap together. I have a motor lined up, but it needs a tranny. I'm wondering if I should get a LS tranny, or should I go with a B16? I want to keep all the low-end power possible, but it seems that the B16 would have more acceleration. Would it fuck me over in the end? What is the best choice? I don't really feel like converting to hydro, so I'd rather keep the cable tranny.
[post=535014]Quoted post[/post]​

Go with the B16 or the GSR tranny the LS is too long trust me I know. By the way if you need some cams I am selling mine Crower 62403-2 and valve springs and retainers PM me if interested. Sorry not trying to thread jack just a hopeless plug cuz no one wants my shit :p

I had the feeling. I don't do a WHOLE lot of highway driving, but I will for school. Between the Y1, S1 or J1, is there a difference in 5th gear? I would like to find one with a longer 5th for fuel economy on the highway. I don't care if the car is not the fastest in the world, so I would rather have gears 1-4 for acceleration, and 5th for highway.

EDIT: Yeah, over 4000 rpm in 5th at 70 mph SUCKS. How hard is it to switch the final drive from the B16 to an LS?

Originally posted by Callidus@Aug 3 2005, 04:54 PM
I had the feeling. I don't do a WHOLE lot of highway driving, but I will for school. Between the Y1, S1 or J1, is there a difference in 5th gear? I would like to find one with a longer 5th for fuel economy on the highway. I don't care if the car is not the fastest in the world, so I would rather have gears 1-4 for acceleration, and 5th for highway.

EDIT: Yeah, over 4000 rpm in 5th at 70 mph SUCKS. How hard is it to switch the final drive from the B16 to an LS?
[post=535451]Quoted post[/post]​

Alot of people have done it I don't think it is very hard but I am not too sure how to do it
so I guess Sorry for nothing

are you going to boost or not?
i have a ys1 tranny in my crx.
get one from blakes autosalvage in longmont. best prices i found for the tranny.

YS1 is the LS tranny. I don't believe it ever came with an LSD option. Final drive is the final gearing of your transmission, the gearing that affects ALL gears, where as 5th gear is just the 5th gear you can change.

Edit: And boost doesn't matter. A b16 tranny will out accellerate an LS tranny on any motor. You'll be making full boost when racing anyway, b/c with my b16, I never go below 6000 RPM when shifting @ redline. If you're turbo isn't making full boost by 6k, you did something wrong.

Originally posted by ripperbone@Aug 5 2005, 10:54 AM
are you going to boost or not?
i have a ys1 tranny in my crx.
get one from blakes autosalvage in longmont. best prices i found for the tranny.
[post=536166]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't think I'm going to boost it for quite a while. I'm just thinking of things I can do to up the performance of the LS while I have it. Of course I'll be doing I/H/E, but I'm just thinking what I can do for the time I'm not boosting. How much was the tranny from Blake's. I'll be building my motor in my friend's garage over the next few months, and he's located in Ft. Collins. Longmont isn't too far either.

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane+Aug 5 2005, 01:27 PM-->
Edit: And boost doesn't matter.  A b16 tranny will out accellerate an LS tranny on any motor.  You'll be making full boost when racing anyway, b/c with my b16, I never go below 6000 RPM when shifting @ redline.  If you're turbo isn't making full boost by 6k, you did something wrong.
[post=536274]Quoted post[/post]​
boost DOES matter. if you have boosted a daily driver or just for racing

if your driving on the highway doing 75mph with the b16 tranny you be in the higher rms than if you had the ls tranny. after time the tranny wine gets to you

that is why i went with the ls tranny over the b16 tranny.

yes your correct about the b16 tranny out accellerating a ls tranny

Originally posted by Callidus Aug 5 2005@ 03:50 PM
How much was the tranny from Blake's

$200,
I just called them and they dont have any at the moment

Callidus Aug 5 2005
@ 03:50 PM
I'll be building my motor in my friend's garage over the next few months

hit me up when your up here

Yeah, I think I will just go with the YS1. My friend has one, but seems to think he's got the wrong tranny, so I will just take it off his hands if he decides to swap tranny's. If that doesn't work I'll try to hit up Blake's or someone around here

Originally posted by Callidus@Aug 8 2005, 05:29 PM
The JDM YS1 has the LSD, right?
[post=537583]Quoted post[/post]​

if you click the link I posted, it says "optional". so, it could or it could not have the LSD.

Back