Backup cameras soon to be required by law

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should just say fuck it and take all of the existing cars off the road and put automatic cars on the road like in Demolition Man.

safety rules. doors are getting taller, windows are getting smaller.

"And Leon is getting llaaaaarger !" - Johnny from "Airplane!"

Sorry, I had a chuckle. Had to share.

I don't care how many "nanny-state" laws you pass. It won't fix the problem at hand,

Two problems here. The safety equipment doesn't FIX any problem. It creates them.

Take the Cadillac Deville with night vision camera. Now, factor in cost and target market - only retirees buy these things. So give them technology that coaxes them into going FASTER in worse conditions.

Secondly, you're still of the mindset that government passes laws to make things better. Laws are passed only to make money from the fines imposed by breaking them. No law has ever been created to make people safer. No "Green" regulation has ever been created to save any ecology, and no security has ever been set that hasn't just made the good criminals rise to the top, front and center. Compound that with the fact that police don't carry guns to protect you, they carry guns to protect themselves, and compare that to other government agencies who practice the security they stretch to have.

Two problems here. The safety equipment doesn't FIX any problem. It creates them.

Take the Cadillac Deville with night vision camera. Now, factor in cost and target market - only retirees buy these things. So give them technology that coaxes them into going FASTER in worse conditions.

Secondly, you're still of the mindset that government passes laws to make things better. Laws are passed only to make money from the fines imposed by breaking them. No law has ever been created to make people safer. No "Green" regulation has ever been created to save any ecology, and no security has ever been set that hasn't just made the good criminals rise to the top, front and center. Compound that with the fact that police don't carry guns to protect you, they carry guns to protect themselves, and compare that to other government agencies who practice the security they stretch to have.

Did you even read my fucking post???

No where in there did I advocate nanny state laws. Reading comprehension owns you.

All I said was that in order for people to have drivers licenses is that they should actually know how to drive. And if you disagree with that, I'm sorry, you're an idiot.

Did you even read my fucking post???

No where in there did I advocate nanny state laws. Reading comprehension owns you.

All I said was that in order for people to have drivers licenses is that they should actually know how to drive. And if you disagree with that, I'm sorry, you're an idiot.

Whoa, whoa, settle down Beavis !

Perhaps it's you that should re-read my post !

Secondly, you're still of the mindset that government passes laws to make things better.

Please point out what caused you to draw this conclusion in my post.

Laws are passed only to make money from the fines imposed by breaking them.

I agree with you on this.

No law has ever been created to make people safer.

Ditto

No "Green" regulation has ever been created to save any ecology, and no security has ever been set that hasn't just made the good criminals rise to the top, front and center. Compound that with the fact that police don't carry guns to protect you, they carry guns to protect themselves, and compare that to other government agencies who practice the security they stretch to have.

Ditto as well.

Whoa, whoa, settle down Beavis !

Perhaps it's you that should re-read my post !

Not sure how I misread your post...?

YOU are the one that made an incorrect statement about me. No where did I state that I believe that the government passes laws to help us. Obviously I don't.

I can sum this thread up in one sentence:
You can't fix stupid.

I back a 40 foot vehicle with no rear window like a god damned champ. I'm not lowering myself to back up cameras.

The last thing I want is someone watching a screen in their dash instead of actually paying attention to their surroundings...shit like this just makes people lazy and causes way more harm than good.

I back a 40 foot vehicle with no rear window like a god damned champ. I'm not lowering myself to back up cameras.

Yeah, those of us with class A licenses should be exempted from having to pay for extra features like this.

I don't care how many "nanny-state" laws you pass. It won't fix the problem at hand, most people are just fucking incompetent and stupid drivers.

This is what I was responding to. I go over my explanation in my mind repeatedly, and I can't phrase it any different way. I see this statement as you thinking that they have talked about imposing this rear-camera thing to make people safer. Being a nanny-state and all. It's not about nannying, it's about making money. Nannying is exerting power over people where power shouldn't be granted.
If you don't care to learn how to properly drive, don't fucking drive.

Take the bus, carpool, walk, bicycle, ride a scooter. If you cannot drive, you shouldn't be in control of a 3500lb lethal weapon.
Upon further inspection, I also have to disagree here. A scooter is surprisingly difficult to ride. As is a fucking bicycle. After riding a real motorcycle, both forms of 2 wheeled transportation are very difficult to control, are unstable as hell, and make you wonder why more people don't crash them. It's mind over matter. Because scooters and bicycles "appear" less harmful, people are tricked into thinking that riding one MUST be easier than an evil looking, 100+hp superbike or 800 lbs Goldwing. Lemme tell you, my Vespa is WAY harder to ride than anything else. But I do see your points.

And from one old guy to a younger guy - I have driven between 40,000 and 80,000 miles a year for 20 years. Autocross is good, but it's only a small piece of the cake to conquer before thinking of yourself as "Good" behind the wheel. Turbomirage dominates Autocross but I'm developing an android app to tell me when he's on a CT road so I can stay home.

And from one old guy to a younger guy - I have driven between 40,000 and 80,000 miles a year for 20 years. Autocross is good, but it's only a small piece of the cake to conquer before thinking of yourself as "Good" behind the wheel. Turbomirage dominates Autocross but I'm developing an android app to tell me when he's on a CT road so I can stay home.

:popcorn:

.......And from one old guy to a younger guy - I have driven between 40,000 and 80,000 miles a year for 20 years. Autocross is good, but it's only a small piece of the cake to conquer before thinking of yourself as "Good" behind the wheel. Turbomirage dominates Autocross but I'm developing an android app to tell me when he's on a CT road so I can stay home.
From an even older guy: 35-20=15 What exactly were you driving between 40,000 amd 80,000 miles per year when you were 15?

:wtf:

Can you really ? How interesting.. Please, go on.

Upon further inspection, I also have to disagree here. A scooter is surprisingly difficult to ride. As is a fucking bicycle. After riding a real motorcycle, both forms of 2 wheeled transportation are very difficult to control, are unstable as hell, and make you wonder why more people don't crash them. It's mind over matter. Because scooters and bicycles "appear" less harmful, people are tricked into thinking that riding one MUST be easier than an evil looking, 100+hp superbike or 800 lbs Goldwing. Lemme tell you, my Vespa is WAY harder to ride than anything else. But I do see your points.

I tried riding my room mate's scooter the other day. I got to the end of the street and turned around because I didn't feel safe on it. I've been riding motorcycles since I was 14, riding on street since age 19.

About a year ago I got on my friend's Dads restored Cushman with reversed controls. Thing was worth about 10k. He said "Take it for a spin!"

I walked it back. no way.

This is what I was responding to. I go over my explanation in my mind repeatedly, and I can't phrase it any different way. I see this statement as you thinking that they have talked about imposing this rear-camera thing to make people safer. Being a nanny-state and all. It's not about nannying, it's about making money. Nannying is exerting power over people where power shouldn't be granted.

Alright, I get where you're coming from, but I did put "nanny-state" laws in quotations since they are obviously a type of law even if the true reason for creating them is for making money.

Even if scooters are hard to ride, it'd be much better for someone that can't drive a car to ride a scooter. I'd rather get rammed by someone riding a scooter, than a one person mom/dad driving a 6000lb suburban. That was really my only point.

Lmao about TurboMirage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back