Battlefield 3

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i've played a little of the Beta.. its not bad..

Not sci-fi, just physics, how you move, and jump and shoot. When BF2 first came out it was a lot of fun, you could run around jumping and shooting, throwing C4 at people, and then people started crying about that stuff so they made it to where you could jump and shoot, and could throw C4 :(

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5733044300866646599http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...RXMmDJn3A&sig2=Frw54AVdK_lYFdPsTkjwDQ&cad=rja

Ehhh, after playing beta, I'm looking more forward to MW3. It's not bad, it just didn't keep me interested. Plus, I hated spawning and getting killed right away by someone camping at the edge of the map.

i got the origin EA bullshit, and dl'ed BF3 beta, but when i click the install it does nothing
seems to be a common problem.

might be related to winXP, or IE browser not 9.0 or set as default.
not sure yet

The graphics on BF3 look fantastic, no doubt. A funny thing about it though, is that some of the early reviews that are coming out are saying that the campaign is far more linear than past BF games and that it features more big "Hollywood" type moments and set pieces. Hmmm, Call of Duty anyone?

The graphics on BF3 look fantastic, no doubt. A funny thing about it though, is that some of the early reviews that are coming out are saying that the campaign is far more linear than past BF games and that it features more big "Hollywood" type moments and set pieces. Hmmm, Call of Duty anyone?

Isn't this the first BF with an actual story for single player? 2 was just playing against bots on the levels. They were definitely aiming straight at CoD's market this time, and they got to market soon enough that their sales won't take a hit. I personally don't know what to think about BF3, I wasn't a pubber, and didn't do single player on BF2, and pretty much hated the BC series. It looks awesome but online play sucks balls right now though, the lag makes it unplayable half the time. IMO the spirit that made the BF, not BC, series what it was is completely gone, might as well have just named it "Another War Game".

It's just beta testing right now though. Things are bound to be laggy.

It's just beta testing right now though. Things are bound to be laggy.

Yea, but this is beyond laggy sometimes. It plays smooth when it plays, I just really hope they can nail down the problems, and get them fixed before release.

XBL version is VERY glitchty. I was under the map at times and sometimes I couldn't see the enemy because they were sideways.

The graphics on BF3 look fantastic

the graphics that ive seen on commercials and previews look amazing ill agree, but the graphics in the beta look like dog shit IMHO :shrug2:. i personally thought bad company was terrible so wont be getting wooded up over this either, especially since playing the beta. ill be saving for COD

the graphics that ive seen on commercials and previews look amazing ill agree, but the graphics in the beta look like dog shit IMHO :shrug2:. i personally thought bad company was terrible so wont be getting wooded up over this either, especially since playing the beta. ill be saving for COD

Well, it depends on what component of the graphics we're talking about I guess. If you're just looking at the character models and the guns and reloading animations, then yeah, it's comparable to CoD. Where that new engine excels though is with stuff like water, lighting, smoke, and dust, and then of course the destructible environments. You won't see stuff like that on CoD, especially since they're once again using the same out-dated engine.

However...

Despite the fact that they keep using that same engine for CoD, they do seem to have a knack for polishing the shit out of it. If the differences between CoD4 and MW2 are any indication, then MW3 should be pretty smooth looking. It's supposed to run at 60 FPS at all times...

Anyone who is judging the game based on the beta, the build they are running for testing was more than a month old when the beta started. A TON of polishing and bug fixing can be done in a month. Also the latency issues are due to EA running the beta servers internally off existing resources, and with so many people playing the "free game" the latency is high almost all the time.

So did anybody pick this up? Reviews are saying that the multi-player is good, but still has some bugs, and the graphics and sound are great, but apparently the campaign sucks balls, lol. They say it's just a re-hash of everything CoD has done the past five years, and that it plays very linear, just like CoD. A lot of the reviews said that it felt like a completely different game as opposed to the multi-player. And apparently the story even comes through flash-backs of a guy who's being interrogated (Black Ops, anyone?).

I don't understand why they didn't try a little harder to make the campaign a little more original or at least somehow different than CoD's since they've made it quite clear that they'd like to bring CoD down. Oh well though, as long as the multi-player is good, I guess that's all that matters. That's what Battlefield is really known for, right?

Above and beyond the call my ass.

If someone can't knife me from 20 feet away while I am shooting them in the face with a fucking machine gun then it is way above the call :p

I'll be picking it up after work today. I don't mind linear campaigns in story driven shooters. Also looking to do some co-op.

Also, expecting the singleplayer to mimic the multiplayer is ridiculous. It never has in call of duty, and in the past Battlefield's singleplayer "campaigns" have been justifiably derided due to being essentially a series of bot matches loosely stitched together. This is the first true Battlefield game (Bad Company, as a spinoff, doesn't count) where they have developed a true story driven campaign.

Well, any single-player video game is going to have some degree of linearity to it. Even open-world games have some type of ultimate goal that you're trying to achieve, and usually have a specific set of things that you must do to complete that goal - there's just lots more stuff available to distract yourself with along the way.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I feel like even in the small snippets of Bad Company's campaigns that I messed around with, it still felt like much more of an open world. Yes, there were checkpoints, but you could wander around large open areas and and approach your goals from multiple directions. And yes, I know that Bad Company does not necessarily equal Battlefield, but still.

It sounds like this is pretty much just a carbon copy of CoD though. Very, VERY linear. Big, "Hollywood" type moments, and lots of quick-time events. And like I said, the main plot device for storytelling was ripped straight from Black Ops. That just seems dumb to me...

Back