Better head for boost?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
so there are some conflicting opinions i have heard on this.... which head is better for forced induction.... GSR or b16a??

The B16 flows better, but the GSR cams are better than the B16s, so a B16 with GSR cams is about the best budget boost option.

The B16 flows better, but the GSR cams are better than the B16s, so a B16 with GSR cams is about the best budget boost option.

+1

heard a dude driving a camaro tell me "theres no replacement for displacement" but I waxed him in a 1.8 soo yea

if your on a budget a b16 head and some gsr cams would run you like 300 bucks, if you buy them used...

cant wait to see a build thread

well i have a b16a head already... someone wants to trade me a gsr head though, so im thinking about it. both have original cams.

Actually neither flows better. The chamber shape is what makes one handle boost better than the other, and that would be the GSR.

EDIT: Theres a flow chart on www.b20vtec.com with both heads on it. Theyre almost identical. For one reason or anotehr I cant post the chart from work. :shrug2:

The gsr head has something called quelch pads. These do something to help ward off detonation. I have read this from a couple of different sources, but am not sure exactly what they are.

They are the flat spots on the sides of the chambers under the valve seat.

They also handle boost better because of their "Pent Roof" chambers. The shape of the chamber is said to direct the extra air flow better.

EDIT: http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9868/dsc033756es.jpg
The sides of the valves closest to the chamber are sitting on the quench pads.

Last edited:
B16s are pent roof too, as are most modern Honda engines. Quench pads only work if the pistons are designed to work with them.

I'd choose the B16A head simply because there's more intake manifold options.

I thought they were semi-hemispherical.

Nope, all pent-roof. The crease may not be noticeable, but they're all pent-roof design.

Here's a pic from Endyn where you can see it well:
FullDeckITR.jpg

Back