Boost On A Stock B18c

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brc80

Hey guys my brother has a 94 gsr with mild boltons I/E/H, wants to know if he can buy a turbo kit and run a modest 7psi on stock internals, and if he did would it last, Or should he build it up first then boost? Any input or help would be great. :sleep:

Yup. 7 psi with one of the good kits available on the market with stock internals should be a piece of cake.

If it's a complete kit, not really- maybe some gauges to keep track of engine health... make sure it comes with an intercooler, decent wastegate, and a blow off valve. Turbo timer? Something to tune with? Boost controller? You can option a turbo setup to hell- there really is no limit except for your wallet.

Unless it's tuned very well, it's going to blow up. Could be a month, could be a year, but it WILL go. I've seen enough boosted stock motors and it's always (eventually) the same story.

Keep synthetic oil in it, make sure you are getting the correct amount of fuel into the engine, and retard your timing a little. you should have no trouble.

Greddy makes a really good kit for the gsr's and they quote that they can run 7.8psi , making a claimed 235 hp at the flywheel all on the stock internals.... remind you they're probably got an intercooler and other goodies to keep the heat down to run a nicer level of boost. the kit uses a mitubishi 18G turbo and comes with everything you'll need (injectors, piping, mounts, ect) . look in the Honda Tuning issue of Feb/Mach 2002. they got a whole article on it. costs like $3000 w/o the intercooler. happy tuning

Holy crap, $3000 without the cooler.

Yikesola.

Greddy is good stuff, but tack on another 800$ or so for the cooler tax and shipping... four large.

I think you could build a better one for less...

it will be fine man. i have a 95 gsr w/ a turbo, im pushing 7psi consistent and i have no problems what so ever. my friend has a 94 delsol si w/ a D16z6 and he has a full turbo kit and he is pushing 8 psi and has no problems either. we both have stock internals w/ some mild boltons but nothing internal. the only thing that you will prob need to get so you dont have to worry will be a better head gasket.

oh and if you dont want to spend an ass load for the kit, just get a stock mitsu. turbo off of a talon or eclipse, dont matter what size, and have the piping made for you and get a turbo manifold, saves you a lot of money and you get a turbo from the best makers ever. true that a lot of companies, greddy for example uses mitsu turbos but they are like 18g turbos and they only push 7 psi, thats bull shit that should be pushin 20 psi consistent and 20psi on a stock engine, let alone a pretty good built honda engine will fuck it up. but go w/ a mitsu turbo

Originally posted by bluepearlintegragsr@Feb 14 2003, 01:02 AM
my friend has a 94 delsol si w/ a D16z6 and he has a full turbo kit and he is pushing 8 psi and has no problems either. we both have stock internals w/ some mild boltons but nothing internal. the only thing that you will prob need to get so you dont have to worry will be a better head gasket.

What turbo does your friend have in his Sol? and how much hp does it produce?

Back