Bouncing Idle when cold - Not MAP/PCV/Cleaned IACV/FITV

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Check your coolant levels. If your leaking and there is air in the system the idle will bounce. Happened to me with the teg. Replaced the leaking radiator and filled the coolant. Haven't seen the problem since.

Whats the standard procedure for burping the coolant system? Its filled to correct levels right now.

Ok, installed a brand new MAP sensor and the idle is still bouncing. What is the proper way to voltage test the IACV and FICV?

PS Just peeped the girlfriends accord (91 LX Sedan, exact same) and that tube runs to the factory intake, so its not causing any idle issues chillin there.

Would a bad/going bad headgasket cause this problem? I want to address the issues at this point from the ones that will take me off the road first.

Alright, I'm breaking down and going to rent a tester, I'll post later on.

Edit: I was $5 short on cash at the autozone for the deposit and was sent packing, sigh. I'll pick it up first thing tomorrow I'm in for the night.

Quoted post[/post]]
Alright, I'm breaking down and going to rent a tester, I'll post later on.

Edit: I was $5 short on cash at the autozone for the deposit and was sent packing, sigh. I'll pick it up first thing tomorrow I'm in for the night.
Your autozone sucks. :ph34r:
You shoulda offered them xxx$$ and your license or somethin, then after you break enough cars, they'll know you by name and just let you go get the renta tools and take em :laugh:

We had this same problem earlier this week with a prelude, after changing the o2,map,iacv, and spraying for vacuum leaks, we found out it was the throttle screw :mad:

Quoted post[/post]]
By throttle screw do you mean the idle set screw or another one?
No, that's the one im talking about.
It's the the left side of the throttle body (on the prelude anyway) and it was unscrewed all the way...

I'm not sure about the Accords, but on the older preludes, there's a little plunger thing underneath a plate (with 2 screws, not 3) and that has to be pushed back to into place by spinning it clockwise.

Ok, the idle screw was actually screwed all the way in, until it was tight, however loosening it really didn't do much except.

On another note after checking the spark plugs I found oil pooling in 3 of the 4 spark plug holes, and I cannot get the #1 spark plug out, I dont know if its maimed down in there or what but my socket wont grab onto it. Thoughts :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]
Ok, the idle screw was actually screwed all the way in, until it was tight, however loosening it really didn't do much except.

On another note after checking the spark plugs I found oil pooling in 3 of the 4 spark plug holes, and I cannot get the #1 spark plug out, I dont know if its maimed down in there or what but my socket wont grab onto it. Thoughts :laugh:
They put a different size plug in there or it's cross threaded at an angle so your socket won't go around it.

I recently changed plugs on a 91 accord, and they were also covered in oil... and i mean COVERED... first thought was seals, but then the threads were covered with oil and small metal pieces... hmm rings FTW?

You should loosen the idle screw up, it's not supposed to be closed, and after you loosen it to where it should be idling (no idea?) try to reset the timing again.

This may be a far cry but a few years ago when I swapped my hatchback in the spring time my idle was doing that till the winter came around & I found the problem. I checked a bunch of those things only to find out it was the thermostat stuck open. Check the coolant like previously mentioned, bleed it if necessary & check the thermostat. If you do replace the thermostat, go OEM. No autozone crap, they suck.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

They put a different size plug in there or it's cross threaded at an angle so your socket won't go around it.

I recently changed plugs on a 91 accord, and they were also covered in oil... and i mean COVERED... first thought was seals, but then the threads were covered with oil and small metal pieces... hmm rings FTW?

As far as a different sized plug the 13/15ths (or whatever the bigger of the two spark plugs is) socket wont even go into the hole, so I dont think they could have managed that.

Interesting about the spark plugs, I first noticed when I pulled out the socket and it was dripping in oil. The three plugs I pulled out looked fine though.

At current I am down to two different things it could be (before I readdress the list). Either the bouncing idle is from the aftermarket intake, which if it is I dont see why a lot more people have this problem, or possibly (probably) the bad head gasket theory.

On a more positive note all my attempts to fix the idle have resulted in a couple other problems being fixed, such as the overheating. Maybe I should just use the blog feature, this car is going to be a long haul project.

I forgot to mention the intake as well. Accord are known to idle like that with the addition of intake. I hear it as something to do with the map but check the vacuum lines too. Let us know how you make out & i'm curious to see if its the thermostat/coolant

I know this is a month later but I finally discovered the culprit, and it pissed me off. The little (and I mean little) gasket on the IACV was missing, I didn't even notice until I got a new one in. Put it all back together with a gasket and blammo, smooth idle at 800.

ill have to keep that in mind on mine if it is still doing that after puttin the right computer in...buuuuuut...the right computer should correct everything...we shall see

that darn IACV... i just took mine out... no need for it at all in my car...

they get dirty and clogged so often... :mad:

Black Widow g2 said:
that darn IACV... i just took mine out... no need for it at all in my car...

they get dirty and clogged so often... :mad:
You took it out??? :eek: How does it idle now?

Back