Brad's Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I painted my VTEC valve cover and intake both gloss black today.

First I painted them outside at about +2 celsius but I was constantly using the heatgun betwen coats.

After three coats on each I brought them inside and put them by the fireplace. Tomorrow I'll shave the paint off of the "Honda" and "VTEC" letters, then the clearcoat.

000_0051.jpg

000_0052.jpg

I sanded them down, then did a clearcoat.

The only problem with gold is there is nothing in the engine bay on on the car for that matter that will match it. Imo.

The job I did on the intake was perfect but I kinda wish I didn't do it, it looked better before.

Before:

100_2147.jpg

After:

100_2374.jpg

In 4 1/2 weeks when my dad puts insurance on his S2K I''ll pull the motor out and go over everything, might even rebild it, don't know yet.

Over the next 4 weeks I'll monitor the oil, ect.

Last edited:
Lately I've been doing some bodywork.:)

Its actually easier than I thought. There are some hard spots though. I'm not too concerned too much about how good it looks because it is my first car. And the way I'm going now I'm positive I can make it better than it was.

Maybe you guys rmemeber the 17"s on my moms Accord, well we just threw them on my dads hatch and it actually looks sick. We had the whole family in the car (4 average weight people) and on bumps the rear wheels scrape on the fender.

100_2388.jpg

100_2389.jpg

100_2390.jpg

I'm too embarrased to show them. :( In a little while maybe, we'll see how it turns out.

I just remembered that my dad kicked a 240SX's ass a little while ago with my Mini-Me swap. The car was a bit riced up with bodykits and loud twin N1 mufflers. I didn't believe him at first but then I went online and found they only make 115whp stock. At about 85mph my dad started to walk away from him.

It looked like this:

img1187id4.jpg

img1190kz0.jpg

Also I've been searching for a bit more power so I just threw on the short ram intake I have to see if it would make a difference. It made VTEC much louder but I doubt it did much hp wise.

One more thing, is bad to advance the timing a bit? I read it could do some good but I thought I would ask first.

I can see it being better than the timing being retarted but will it bring on detonation?

Last edited:
Also I've been searching for a bit more power so I just threw on the short ram intake I have to see if it would make a difference. It made VTEC much louder but I doubt it did much hp wise.

One more thing, is bad to advance the timing a bit? I read it could do some good but I thought I would ask first.

I can see it being better than the timing being retarted but will it bring on detonation?

Your better off just taking a timing light and setting the timing for factory specs. You really need a dyno to see if you are picking up any power or not. Plus you want to play with the timing in the tuning software rather then at the distributor. When you adjust the timing at the distributor it will effect the timing through the whole rpm band. When you mess with the timing in Crome for example you can mess with the timing under full load in the areas of the map that you want, its a thousand times better way of doing it. Also many times when I tune NA setups the factory timing maps usually work pretty well, on pump gas anyways. The most I have advanced timing with crome for a NA setup was like 1 or 2 degrees.

Hey, good news. I got a job at my local garage so I'll have more cash flowing. Yay:)

What sucks is that it snowed again today, we've had snow on the ground for over a month now so I won't be doing much body work very soon.

Last edited:
Hey, good news. I got a job at my local garage so I'll have more cash flowing. Yay:)

What sucks is that it snowed again today, we've had snow on the ground for over a month now so I won't be doing much body work very soon.

Good chit on the job. but snow sucks!

Back