Break in period on used clutch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I bought a clutch off here with a few hundred miles, and as we speak its going into my car. I was wondering the break in period on a used clutch. Its a big upgrade from my OEM and I'm excited about it, but dont want to abuse it too early.
 

E_SolSi

Moderator
VIP
id go about the same as a new one ... maybe a little more
figure a new clutch usually needs around 200-300 miles of normal driving.... id give it at least 400
 
Ok, I was thinking 500, so that sounds right. Just out of curiousity... I have to drive to NY on Friday. will long highway driving work for break-in periods?
 
no not really. The 200 or so miles required is more in the lines of city driving as you constantly shift.
 
Ok, so dont count the highway miles... or stay off the highway until its broken in?

I'll be honest in that this is the first car I've kept long enough to actually wear out a clutch in.
 
Has only a few hundred miles on it, and was about 1/4 the cost of a new one. Money was short and the car was not moving, it was about all I could do.
 
highway driving does count. its just not as effective as stop and go. When you do depress teh clutch, make sure you dont ride it at all. I figured since it was used tehre wouldnt be a break in period, but all these guys seem the beleive there is, so....

make sure you do a massive burnout also :driver2:
 

xj0hnx

VIP
I didn't break my clutch in at all and it was brand new, I was hammering it in the first week.
 
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jul 13 2005, 03:33 PM
I didn't break my clutch in at all and it was brand new, I was hammering it in the first week.
[post=525603]Quoted post[/post]​



and you probably glazed it..

thats why you have to break em in, otherwise, they will overheat and glaze over. Also, breaking them in will match the clutch to the flywheel and pressure plate. If you dont, it causes hot spots on them. :bash: Then you dont have near the clutch power that you would. sure it works, but if you had broken it in, it would work BETTER. ah well, now you know for next time!
 
Originally posted by B16CRX@Jul 13 2005, 03:15 PM
I figured since it was used tehre wouldnt be a break in period, but all these guys seem the beleive there is,



Well i does and doesn't. It needs time to mate with the flywheel properly, not really breaking the clutch in. More like wearing it in to match the fly pattern
 

xj0hnx

VIP
Originally posted by phyregod+Jul 13 2005, 09:44 PM-->
@Jul 13 2005, 03:33 PM
I didn't break my clutch in at all and it was brand new, I was hammering it in the first week.
[post=525603]Quoted post[/post]​



and you probably glazed it..

thats why you have to break em in, otherwise, they will overheat and glaze over. Also, breaking them in will match the clutch to the flywheel and pressure plates. If you dont, it causes hot spots on them. Then you dont have near the clutch power that you would. sure it works, but if you had broken it in, it would work BETTER. ah well, now you know for next time!
[post=525622]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope, not glazed, holds great, and has been doing so consistantly for three years of abuse.
 
Originally posted by driverunknown@Jul 13 2005, 12:35 PM
Were you able to get that flywheel?

Good thing you got a clutch in that.
<<<still waiting on fedex today.
[post=525434]Quoted post[/post]​



Yea, its nice to have a mobile car again. Somewhat sad its not riding on those AGX's, but ah well, shit happens. Also didn't get the flywheel, will be sure to procure one before this clutch needs replacing though. The clutch is fantastic (Exedy Stage 1 for those not in the know, and you know who you are). Prolly twice the stiffness in the pedal (which could make sense as bad off as my last clutch was), but much more feel. Overall I give this experience a :thumbsup: Good to know there's guys out there that are dependable to people they dont know.
 
Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jul 13 2005, 03:45 PM-->
Originally posted by phyregod@Jul 13 2005, 09:44 PM
92b16vx
@Jul 13 2005, 03:33 PM
I didn't break my clutch in at all and it was brand new, I was hammering it in the first week.
[post=525603]Quoted post[/post]​



and you probably glazed it..

thats why you have to break em in, otherwise, they will overheat and glaze over. Also, breaking them in will match the clutch to the flywheel and pressure plates. If you dont, it causes hot spots on them. Then you dont have near the clutch power that you would. sure it works, but if you had broken it in, it would work BETTER. ah well, now you know for next time!
[post=525622]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope, not glazed, holds great, and has been doing so consistantly for three years of abuse.
[post=525624]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:
I smashed on mine as soon as I slapped the tranny back on and filled it with fluid...grabs strong, about 25k miles and counting
 
the breaking a clutch in for 500+ miles is almost as pointless as breaking in a motor for 1000 like everyone thinks you need to.
 

xj0hnx

VIP
Originally posted by CoreyR@Jul 14 2005, 01:04 AM
the breaking a clutch in for 500+ miles is almost as pointless as breaking in a motor for 1000 like everyone thinks you need to.
[post=525727]Quoted post[/post]​

Especially a used clutch.
 
Top