Busting Wireless networks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

drpenguin

okay im still alittle new to the whole wireless thing. I have been taking my think pad with me more and more everyday. I didnt know wireless was such a big thing. No matter where you go your not far from a wireless network. problem is if your smart you put a password on your network so every common joe like me can leach your internet. well being the little b*stard i am i still want in. I have been told about program that will brute force there way onto the network. I was wondering if anyone has used these programs and how well do they work. I dont know how many times i have needed wireless only to find nothing but secure networks around me.

Just look for the peeps that don't use a password. I have a few here where I live that don't so it's great. I pay $14.95 a month for a dial up but I get free DSL from my neighbors. I am using a Belkin wireless G USB network adapter.

Quoted post[/post]]
Hacking is illegal.

kthxbye

:withstupid:

People put passwords on their networks for a reason. Business owners usually have a lot of sensitive information running through their networks. Don't bother trying to bust password protected networks.

But if you really want to see how many networks you pass by as you drive download netstumbler.

www.netstumbler.com

It'll detect EVERY single wireless network you pass in range, and it'll tell you the stength, channel, and if it's locked or not.

Didn't really feel like going there, but yeah. You get an anal enough company to detect you on their network they'll call in the crack legal team and bust your ass for hacking their shit.

EDIT: As an aside, I don't see why anyone would be lazy enough to leave a wireless network unsecured. I know I certainly wouldn't want some cheesedick stealing MY broadband.

Quoted post[/post]]
Didn't really feel like going there, but yeah. You get an anal enough company to detect you on their network they'll call in the crack legal team and bust your ass for hacking their shit.

EDIT: As an aside, I don't see why anyone would be lazy enough to leave a wireless network unsecured. I know I certainly wouldn't want some cheesedick stealing MY broadband.

Some people do it on purpose. My brothers is unlocked for the simple fact that if anyone in the neighborhood wants to use his internet they can.

I have my desktop and laptop on it, my brother has 3 of his computers and laptop on it, and there were two laptops from his neighbors who've been on it at one point or another.

It's different if you do it for that reason and people know and appreciate.

I, personally, wouldn't want some cheesedick siphoning my bandwidth that I pay 45 bucks a month for.

hell you really don't even have to secure it. Just go into your routers properties and set a number of computers allowed to connect. My brother only allows 10 connections, after that it'll deny the 11th a connection, even though it's unsecured.

i left mine unsecured at my parents house.... didni't have to. there was no signal by the time the neighbors yard hit anyway...

its not like this shit goes for ever

i dont want there files or any of that. its just when im at work, someone that lives upstairs has internet. i would like to be able to just get on the network to use the internet on my breaks or what ever.

well if the person uses wpa, itll be pretty hard to crack. wep takes a few hours even with brute force. besides, most of the time people's networks are unsecured anyway because its like 200 bucks to have a retard from best buy or comcast to set one up for you.

just a note: i have mac filtering and allow only 3 computers to access my router. i also enabled wpa and decided not to broadcast ssid. wonder if thats safe enough.

In my old apartment, I left my 802.11b unsecured... Usually because friends would come over with their laptops, and I didnt feel like setting up WEP keys...

Well I noticed my connection slowing down one day... So I IP into the router, and see 3 computers online... But I only have 2 in the apartment... hmmm... So I turn on WEP...

The next day, as i'm leaving my upstairs neighbor says "Oh did you change something with your network? My DSL stopped working last night".. I was like "Nice of you to ask if you could tag onto my router"...

dumb dyke.

i enjoy leaving mine unsecured and using cain and abel to read what everone is doing through my router... it's hilarious the kind of shit people look at on the internet and how careless they are about sending things unencrypted...

Back