CAFROG's K20-R EGg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Also....I am looking into new suspension. I don't want some cheap set of coil-overs (seems like anything under $600 is risky lol)

I ran across some coil-overs that seem to only have positive testimonies on the internet.

AMR is the company and they are based out of Washington state.
Lifetime warranty
Great looking machining and totally rebuildable shocks by any trained shop (fittings are not weird or super special)
Custom spring rates and such.
Only downside can be turn around time (but My EG is plenty popular enough and usually in stock)
Other downside is.......price :( Small discount for k20a.org members though :thumbsup:

I am thinking 550lb front spring rates and 650lb rear spring rates.
Lots of testimonies that these work really nice on the track, from a dig and much smoother than other companies 550/650 set ups on the street.

I also am contemplating a spring/shock combo (non-adj springs)
I figure a 2" drop is fine for oil pan clearance issues (although my Cali ways tell me it ain't low enough)
There are moments where I don't see myself wanting to raise it.....lower it or anything like that so adj coil-overs are meh
But I am not finding much testimonies of such set ups and their benefits :shrug2:

Why 550 lb spring rate up front and 650 in the rear? I would think with the CG you would go the other way?

Last edited:
There are views that have the same opinion you expressed. (heavier front)

But others swear by a heavier rear
The theory is it brings the ass end around (could be too much with too big a rear sway)
And I know it will be nice from a dig (less ass squat)
Plus I am not some race driver who is accustom to a certain way so this direction seems logical (guys are getting good road course times w/K's and AMR set up like this)

Setting up brakes is similar I suppose. I like em' biased a bit to the rear, just a little. Don't even like the front end breaking loose. Others would rather the front end push before the rear lets go.

Just wondering. I would be inclined to set it up based upon CG, then set shock damping from there.

To each his own - just wondeirng. No criticism intended.

AMR is the company and they are based out of Washington state.
Lifetime warranty
Great looking machining and totally rebuildable shocks by any trained shop (fittings are not weird or super special)
Custom spring rates and such.
Only downside can be turn around time (but My EG is plenty popular enough and usually in stock)
Other downside is.......price
sad.gif
Small discount for k20a.org members though
thumb.gif

I have read this too about AMR. I guess their EF setup is great. Probably gonna grab it for myself.

I didn't look around to see what the EG set up is.
AMR said:
Here is a list of features of our dampers.

-Single Adjustable Rebound 8 settings
-Corrosion and rust resistant
-44mm piston
-Deflective Disk Valving for easy tuning, and repeatable results
-Seperate Height and Preload adjustment
-Oil over gas monotube dampers
-Fully rebuildable, and serviceable by anyone who currently services Penske, Ohlins, Bilstein, and other major brands.

Here are the applications we have in stock. I simply want the remaining balances paid. Prices include shipping withing the continental US States. We ship worldwide so please ask us for a shipping quote if your outside the US.

1 EK 450/350

2 EF/CRX 350/250 925.00
5 EF/CRX 550/650 955.00 Our ST setup.

1 DA 550/450 895.00
1 DA 450/350 895.00

^^ When were was that post with those prices?

I heard that, in Japan, they run a little heavier in the front (probably better center of gravity) Some think the heavier in the rear is silly.
Heavier in the front seems like the car would push more than pull...and it FWD so I see it not being perfect or preferable.
But I have yet to find info on particulars with CG as it applies to my car.....with any swap.
Maybe one of you knows a good thread. I know guys who are running much heavier spring rates (over 1K in rear) but that sounds silly.

AMR 550/650 seems like a decent ride that lets me get pretty close to having my cake and eating it too.....with a glass of milk.

No way for me to know much unless I get to ride in something.....and my small town don't have a plethora of EG's that are track ready lol.

Those coilovers look nice. I want a set. $1450 is not a bad price for what they claim to be. I have seen similar sets for $3000.

Those prices were posted in 2010 sometime on H-T so I'm sure they aren't good anymore. They list every kit for $1,450 on their page no matter the vehicle. I don't think that is the real price but just for reference. I really don't know. I haven't called them yet as I'm probably going to order one in feb. No point in contacting them til I'm ready. A lot of the ride quality is in the dampers. Spring rates certainly aren't the only factor. All of their kits are custom so I'm sure they can make you anything you want.

I agree about the spring rates but a few guys with those rates have also rolled around in 550/650 with other brands and these AMR's seem to have a much better ride quality in comparison. I think it is mostly in their dampers

Muffler put on.....its quieter but still much louder than the last set up (duh....bigger motor....3" exhaust).

I was hoping cat/resonator/muffler would be a little more forgiving in terms of sound but its fine.

The gear ratio in this trans is crazy. 3rd to 4th rpm drop is very small and I can be in 4th at 25mph

Will get a video of some fun acceleration later today.

Here is a little Video (1-2 minutes) I took it myself.....with two fingers on the steering wheel with the other fingers holding the camera.
Sorry, camera gets a little shaky when I get on it.

I take it easy in the first pull (2nd gear floored at 6k rpm's. Second time I get on it in first but take off from a dig easy)

You can see by the thumbnail pic that its at 3k in 6th at 65mph

K20A EG (EH3) Swap Shake Down - YouTube

Its definitely not the smooth cruiser it was with these hasport motor mounts. In my other swaps....OEM mounts so I was spoiled

These mounts got a lot of crap rattling.....hoping to trace a few of them and stop the rattles

And the stg4 clutch.....killed it twice already lol.

PS fluid is seeping through my filter (pic on bottom of post #21....I think) so I guess I need to get more fluid out (although I thought I got most of it out already)

Small tiny coolant leak....stops when not running and seems like its coming from the plug on the rad (huge ass allen head bolt I don't have lol)

But it straight rips! Fun fun fun. And chatter chatter chatter lol traction bar and suspension should be next.

They're definitely noisy with the solid core mounts. My '91 hatch sounds like a harvesting machine inside now. Gotta work on some of the rattles and vibration in the cabin.

That being said, I sure like the way they work - it shifts better, especially under extreme load.

That monster of yours looks to be ALMOST as fast as my shifter kart...... :D

Its definitely not the smooth cruiser it was with these hasport motor mounts. In my other swaps....OEM mounts so I was spoiled

These mounts got a lot of crap rattling.....hoping to trace a few of them and stop the rattles

I've had a couple cars with hasport mounts and I loved the way they felt, they were a little weird to get used to but I kinda like having more of a feeling coming from the car. But I also like stiff suspensions too, so I guess I'm kind of weird. lol

Back